ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:13 AM

Hi ,
I have been reading these boards for well over a year, in fact I started reading them when my back problems began flaring in August 2005. When surgery was suggested, I did some research into artificial discs rather than the suggested fusion, but extensive facet problems didn't allow it.
I had the fusion at L4-5 in March of 2006. I was just recently diagnosed with Cauda Equina Syndrome, which happened in the immediate post op period but was not recognized for what it was, leaving me with permanent bowel and bladder damage, bilateral pain and numbness, a complete left foot drop, which means that I have to wear an afo to walk properly, and back pain that is unremitting, amongst other problems.
Anyway, I figured it was about time that I introduce myself.
Sandi M
L3-4, L5-S1 severe central canal stenosis, moderate and severe foraminal stenosis , Cen
Old 04-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Good Lord, Sandi, sorry to hear about your situation. It is nice of you post, though, and share your experiences.

Just curious if you have found anti-inflammatories (different kinds) to be of any help. Also, some cases respond to antibiotic therapy too. Have you checked that out?

Medical treatment options are useful in certain persons, depending on the underlying cause of the cauda equina syndrome. Anti-inflammatory agents, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), and corticosteroids, such as methylprednisolone (Solu-Medrol, Depo-Medrol), can be effective in persons with inflammatory processes, including ankylosing spondylitis. In rare cases, such as metastatic disease, a focal/local radiation can be considered, especially if surgery is too risky or contraindicated.

Persons with cauda equina syndrome secondary to infectious causes should receive appropriate antibiotic therapy. Persons with spinal neoplasms should be evaluated for the suitability of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/cauda...e/page8_em.htm

But here's a "better" article, which you may have seen:

http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/topic39.htm

Hope this helps, thx again for posting.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-26-2007, 02:41 PM

Hi Harrison,
Depo Medrol has been implicated in AS, so it is not supposed to be used in the spinal nerve areas as far as I am aware of at this time.
I have had a few esi injections which provided no relief. Seems that the damage is extensive and permanent at this time. It seems that the cauda equina injuries occured in the immediate post op period for me, and unfortunately, I was released from the hospital not quite 30 hours post op from the lumbar fusion and on the weekend. By the time that I saw them on Monday for drainage from the incision, I had already developed cellulitis and was in the throws of CES, and when I informed them that I was having bladder and bowel problems, I was given a prescription for colace instead of being sent back to the hospital immediately as should have been done.
On to anti- inflammatories, in fusion that is not allowed until after fusion has occured which is still questionable in my case. The surgeon claims fusion but several other doctor's have said that they are uncertain that there is fusion at all, and I certainly fail to see it, even on the current xrays taken last month. So , I am left to try to deal with bladder and bowel problems, along with the neuropathic pain and figure out whether there is fusion or not.
Sandi M
L3-4, L5-S1 severe central canal stenosis, moderate and severe foraminal stenosis , Cen
Old 05-06-2007, 06:03 PM

Oh, Sandi. I am so sorry to hear of your complications. It is that sort of thing that scares me, complications that might make me worse.
Where did you have your surgery?

Does age have anything to do with whether you can have severe complications?

Jane
20 years of back problems, no known specific cause
5/9/07 at Consultation Texas Back Institute, Dr. Zigler
7/5/07 Insurance struggles
7/19/07 Prodisk surgery, TBI, Dr Zigler
Old 05-06-2007, 11:56 PM

Hi Jane,
My situation is not the norm for fusions, at least I don't think it is. I hope it isn't.
I was 42 when I had the fusion, so I'm not sure that age had any thing to do with it. I think that it was an unrecognized Cauda Equina issue post fusion rather than an age issue.
I had my surgery at NYH for Bone and Joint Diseases. I also had a top notch surgeon, but along with a top notch surgeon comes the ego which at times can be more of a problem to deal with.
If they had listened to what I was telling them post surgery, then this might have been recognized and action taken to try to elimate/minimize the problems that I have now.
Sandi
Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 PM

Hi Sandi,

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get all the info I can before I have any procedure.

Jane
20 years of back problems, no known specific cause
5/9/07 at Consultation Texas Back Institute, Dr. Zigler
7/5/07 Insurance struggles
7/19/07 Prodisk surgery, TBI, Dr Zigler