ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 AM

Default Conversation with Dr Lauryssen

Hey everyone, I just had a phone consult w Dr Lauryssen and once again I was very impressed with his evaluation and treatment plan for me. He is recommending an anterior fusion at L5 S1 and a prodisc at 4-5. He said my retrolesthesis is to great for an ADR at 5 1. What has me perplexed is that BOTH clavel and Bierstedt said ADR at 5 1 is no problem???? Dr lauryssen said that due to his insane call volume at his office regarding the m6 he plans to start using the implant overseas by this fall!! He told me he has done hundreds of pro discs w great results and says its not the disc as much as the surgeon which I agree with to an extent. So now it's back to square one on the treatment plan for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:14 AM

Boxer,

Sounds like your conversation went well with Dr. Lauryssen.
I have never met him, but one of my spiney friends recommended him to me.
My spine friend had cervical spine surgery and spoke highly of Dr. L, although he had surgery with another doctor, he knew Dr. L professionally.

SO happy researching. And sometimes a surgeon does not go where he is not comfortable. If Dr. L does not think an ADR would work at L5/S1, investigate the rationale for this until you have no more reservations about it.

K
Old 05-12-2013, 10:27 AM

For whatever reason the European surgeons are willing to perform surgeries that their American colleagues are not. The question is, who's right? Good luck in deciding. Most ADR manufacturers publish retro and antero-listhesis limits under which their devices are expected to work.

That's good news about Dr Lauryssen's pending adoption of the M6. As he doesn't necessarily feel that it's a superior implant, did he suggest why he's going to set up shop overseas to begin implanting it? Is it strictly a financial decision?

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 05-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Ad

Well lauryssen did say he felt the m6 is the better disc and because of patient demand he will be going oversees to implant. He was very quick to tell me to be careful going to Spain or Germany because u really have no follow up at all and they are really mostly out to make money example dr bertangnolis million dollar a year salary from prodisc??? For me the most concerning problem is that the m6 site says spondylolisthesis is a contradiction for adr
Old 06-11-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
For whatever reason the European surgeons are willing to perform surgeries that their American colleagues are not. The question is, who's right? Good luck in deciding. Most ADR manufacturers publish retro and antero-listhesis limits under which their devices are expected to work.

That's good news about Dr Lauryssen's pending adoption of the M6. As he doesn't necessarily feel that it's a superior implant, did he suggest why he's going to set up shop overseas to begin implanting it? Is it strictly a financial decision?

Good luck, Jeff

I suspect this has a lot to do with the legal/regulatory environment, and the fear of lawsuits...
Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 PM

Default From what I read

The Pro-disc MUST be place just right. The placement is key and if the surgeon isn't as skilled the result will not be favorable. One reason why many doctors abroad are no longer using it...
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 06-11-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
Well lauryssen did say he felt the m6 is the better disc and because of patient demand he will be going oversees to implant. He was very quick to tell me to be careful going to Spain or Germany because u really have no follow up at all and they are really mostly out to make money example dr bertangnolis million dollar a year salary from prodisc??? For me the most concerning problem is that the m6 site says spondylolisthesis is a contradiction for adr

I don't believe Spondy is a contradiction, it depends how much it is and what caused it. I have read that Grade I with minimal slip for ADR is doable, as long as their is nothing going on that would cause a further slip, such as fractures to supporting bony structures. Do you know how bad your slip is, do you have any fractures?

Feb. 2014 - Hybrid lumbar fusion(l5/S1), ADR(L4/L5)...2-level cervical ADR (C5/C6, C6/C7). Dr. Pablo Clavel of Quiron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. All M6 implants (PEEK cage and plate from Medtronic at fusion level in lumbar.) SAME DAY OPERATION for both areas of the spine.