ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Default new 43yr old member

Hello all, my name is Rick. I'm struggling with degenerated and torn L34 and L45. I'm not in great pain, but I get crippling back spasms when I try to do therapy. Now I'm so weak I can't lift more than 5 lbs nor walk more than 100 yards.
Back in 2001 I had the same problem and had an IDET procedure. After 3 years of waiting and PT, I recovered enough to do most things I enjoy. However 5 months ago I reinjured my back and can't seem to recover.
I'm older now and don't feel like waiting another 3 years, nor subjecting my diseased discs to any more burning procedures.
I'm very disappointed to hear that the Biostat Fibrin Sealant had disappointing Stage 3 results (same efficacy as placebo)
My plan is to try PT again with cortisone injections. If this doesn't work, I'd like to go to Germany and get a pair of M6 ADRs.
I hope we can all recover soon and get back to life,
Rick
Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Hi Rick,

Sorry you are here, but I hope we can help. Sorry for the questions and homework below:

1. Pls see this topic and create a short signature, so others can better support you;

2. Did you have spine trauma earlier in your adulthood?

3. Any unusual health conditions earlier in life, diagnosed or undiagnosed?

Hang tough, you are among friends now.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM

Hi Harrison, thank you for your greeting and for your website. You are helping a lot of people. As for your questions,
I have mild scoliosis and was told that created a vulnerability for back injury. Had several back strains since high school.
Hit by a car on my bicycle in July 2001, a few months before I tore my discs. I'm not sure if the accident played a role.
Considering ADR in hope of being more active.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Rick, I just wrote a long post and my kitten jumped up on the keyboard and the post dissolved. Anway, this org has good resources:

Scoliosis Research Society (SRS)

Scoli patients have unique risks, pls see Liz' posts on the topic. She had severe complications after ADR.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 PM

Harrison,

I write a long post and my tablet decides not to post, never mind the cat.

Rick,

The only thing I have to offer is to start to help your doctors to help you. By that I mean to classify your pain, is it burning, stabing, pins and needles, numbness. Is it worse in the morning or night? Does heat or cold make it better or worse.
Some, not all, doctors can take the info and suggest the appropiate treatment. In my view, treat any pain in the most conservative manner as possible before going to the next level.
My 2 cents.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:29 PM

thank yous, I had some lumbar cortisone injections and have been able to do a little therapy, hopefully I can get stronger and avoid surgery. It's good to know tho that there are more choices than there was 11 years ago, when i came close to getting ADR.
Considering ADR in hope of being more active.