ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Thanks for sharing the link, Cynlite. I'll have a good read and get back to you.

Am glad you found a way to demystify your metal allergy through MELISA lab.

In the meanwhile, I'll wait on Axiomed's reply. Though I can tell you, they're now under the house of Spine Frontier. Apparently, Axiomed was sold recently--I think this is due to the need for more investment to expand and access the US market (once they're FDA-approved). I've seen a Youtube clip of the same disc, but under the name LES Freedom-C.

I'll keep in touch, =)

Kind regards,
Iridium1016

Double Level Artificial Disc Replacement
C 4/5, 5/6 Prodisc-C Vivo
Metal Allergy: Nickel, Iridium and Cadmium
Results from MELISA (Memory Lymphocyte Immunostimulation Assay) Lab
Old 11-01-2015, 08:02 PM

Default same questions

Okay; let me ask about this metal allergy thing. I had a two level fusion with plate and screws done in 2007, revision in 2008, and another implant with Roi-c in 2010 and NEVER at any time did any of the surgeons (two in fact) do a metal allergy test. I have had a dental implant three years ago (having another this next January)...all of which are mainly made with Titanium. Is there Nickel in any of the implants that are being used? Lets's focus primarily on the Mobic and the M6....If not why is this a concern? Are they only doing these test once they here you are even remotely interested in ADR??? It sure as heck wasn't a standard protocol when I had my fusion surgery! But they didn't hesitate to put a three level Titanium plate and screws over my fusion! We are exposed to metals; some heavy metals all our lives. If you have real heavy metal allergies you would not even be able to take a multi-vitamin. Most heavy metal allergies that I am reading here are not the main component of the most used adr's. I don't not understand the concern...someone please explain.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 11-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Cynlite, if I recall correctly, there was one product you found that helped you detox effectively. What was that again? Others may benefit.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-01-2015, 11:45 PM

Harrison, I've posted about what I've done in my thread and in response to one of your threads. More detail can be found there. I like the product SilaLive which is diatomaceous earth plus organic silica. I have also done several different herbal detoxes along with the SilaLive.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 11-01-2015, 11:56 PM

Cheryl, if you want to learn about metal allergies, start here: http://www.melisa.org/metals-disease/metals/titanium/

I posted a lot about it in my international thread. Bottom line is that in the U.S., most doctors are not very knowledgeable about it and don't test for it. I mentioned to Dr. Clavel that I had reactions to metals in the past and was thinking about getting tested. He suggested I go ahead and do it.

Some metals are more reactive than others. Titanium is one of the metals most people tolerate well.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 11-03-2015, 01:49 AM

Default Hi Cynlite

But just because you have a metal allergy to say, nickel, copper, or others doesn't mean you're not a candidate for a titanium device. I will have to read from the link you provided. I want to know if testing can be done for titanium.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 11-03-2015, 05:22 AM

Hi Cheryl 0331,

You can choose a metal group from the form that the lab will give you, when you decide to have a metal allergy test. Each group is organised according to the metal content involve in a certain procedure (e.g. Dental, orthopaedic; alternatively, tick the box--up to 20 metals can be tested).

Your doctor should be able to help you get a request from MELISA LAB. Once it's all sorted, a blood drawing kit will be sent to your doc's office.

Hope the above helps,
Iridium 1016

Kind regards,
Iridium1016

Double Level Artificial Disc Replacement
C 4/5, 5/6 Prodisc-C Vivo
Metal Allergy: Nickel, Iridium and Cadmium
Results from MELISA (Memory Lymphocyte Immunostimulation Assay) Lab
Old 11-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl0331 View Post
But just because you have a metal allergy to say, nickel, copper, or others doesn't mean you're not a candidate for a titanium device. I will have to read from the link you provided. I want to know if testing can be done for titanium.
Before my fusion i had testing done for titanium by my own request.
Not sure if all allergists can test for it.
They taped a titanium coin to my upper back and pleaded with me not to lose it...LOL
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 11-03-2015, 05:08 PM

Cheryl, once Dr. Clavel and Dr. Blumenthal at the Texas Back Institute saw my blood test, they both said they did not want to do surgery on me. This is why I'm going to get a second blood test to confirm the first. I wrote Yolanda and she said to let her know the results of the second test. So, the answer is that if you have an allergy to a certain metal, it is not a good idea to get an implant made out of that metal.

When I saw an allergist locally, he thought the test was crap and my primary care thought the results were unlikely. The allergist said that I sabotaged my efforts by getting the blood test done. Isn't that a lovely thing to say! He offered me no solutions to my problem. It's not an easy problem to have here in the U.S.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:14 PM

First of all since I am sure everyone is interested in my results of surgery... the neuropathy in my toes, feet and lower legs has not dissipated, as of yet. The titanium (alloy) plate and screws were taken out 4/1/15, as a reminder.

But that may be for some reasons. Nerves need lots of time to heal. The topical (skin) nerves in my neck between the incision and my jaw bone must have been severed; they feel as if they were... sort of dead skin in that area. And they have not come back yet, which gives me some basis for comparison. Also, there is some titanium (alloy) mesh that held the cadaver bone together to do the fusion that has remained on my cervical spine... not much, but it is some small quantity to be sure. It cannot be taken out; it is too enmeshed with the bone now. To take it out, would mean to start all over with a new fusion. NO thank you!!! Also, I do have some dental bridge work and crowns that contain some unknown metal alloys. And, I know I have two titanium (alloy) dental posts that were used in two root canals. The root areas of the those two teeth are sensitive to the touch, perhaps because of my metal reactivity.

There are two types of tests that give a clue about a person being reactive to metals. One type checks for skin reactivity, and the other tests for within-the-body type of reactivity. This second type of test is called a LTT (lymphocyte transformation test). The LTT uses a blood speciman, and since it is intrusive, requires a doctor's order to have the blood drawn.

One organization that does the LTT is Melissa Labs, and another is Orthopedic Analysis Lab in Chicago, IL. I understand that Melissa Lab is headquartered in the U.K. and contracts with a number of labs throughout the U.S. for the actual lab work. O.A. Lab does their own work. I chose O.A. Lab because it was closer to my location.

If you really want to know with more certainty, I would suggest getting the LTT by both labs... like a second opinion on surgery. However, it is not cheap, but since one is investing tens of thousands of dollars, and a lifetime of either pain or not, IMHO, this dual testing could be worthwhile... if you can swing it.

My dermatologist (not an allergist -- allergists seem to be off in a world of their own) said that one type of test does NOT give a clue to reactivity of the other type. A person does need both types of tests, perhaps. My dermatologist also warned me that while most doctors in Europe and elsewhere are of the medical opinion that people can be reactive to metals, most doctors in the U.S. are not of the opinion that people can be reactive to metals. And, I seem to have picked up in the literature that almost everyone in the U.S. believe that titanium does not cause a biological reactivity. At least that is what is promoted. I have to wonder if this expressed belief is not just for commercial purposes... they need something that is not reactive to sell their wares and services. But remember, too, that an alloy is always used, not a pure metal. An alloy is a mixture of two or more metals.

The titanium (allloy ? ) coin on the skin would not tell what is happening within the body, according to what my dermatologist has told me.

Titanium as a metal is not used alone, although the so-called "experts" almost always give the impression it is. IMHO, that is what they have been taught, and most cannot think outside of the box. It is used as an alloy, which means that there are other metals in the titanium. One could be reactive to the titanium and the other metals of the alloy... or some mixture of reactivity, IMHO.

Do research surgical steel (alloy) and surgical titanium (alloy) using a Google search. The results are very helpful to understand what you may be getting into, as far as the metal itself. IMHO, do not rely on what others tell you, even medical people.

Yes! the metal reactivity only applies to some smaller percentage of the population, not everyone. However, no one is tracking the percentage of persons who are reactivity to metals. But that percentage of people with reactivity may be YOU!!!

I agree with Cynlite, "So, the answer is that if you have an allergy to a certain metal, it is not a good idea to get an implant made out of that metal." However, you may be left with no alternate, if your reactivity may be so encompassing as to include all metal. If you need the metal to "fix" a broken bone, and then have the metal taken out later, you might survive the effects.... I did in the early 1980's. With an artificial spine joint replacement that will have to last you a very long time, one may have to consider what is more important.

IMHO, I am facing some surgery again on my cervical spine in the future, that will involve some form of artificial joint or whatever. I do not have the answer yet. I hope that I will come up with answer before I need the answer.

I remember that up to about 1960, it was thought that a body would not tolerate any kind of foreign material. Then, the medical community found some folks would at least tolerate some foreign material for some short (how long ? ) period. But how many of the docs have been around for any length of time to see what the long term results are... or care about such. Most have huge education costs to pay off!!!

No wonder that Drs. Clavel and Blumenthal did not want to do surgery after seeing the results of the blood test for Cynlite.

By the way, the problem is not an allergic reaction. It is one of reactivity to metals. There is a distinct difference, I gather.

The LTT will test for those other metals besides titanium itself. Just be sure to buy the more encompassing tests that include those other metals. You do have a choice when ordering. At least with Orthopedic Analysis. All you need the doctor's assistance for is for having the blood drawn. You can deal with the lab itself, and get the lab results directly to you via email or USPO, as well as having a copy sent to your surgeon.

I hope that I have answered some of the questions, but know that there are always questions that will arrive. However, some are un-answerable, unfortunately. One then has to learn as much as possible, and gamble with a choice of what to do.

My dermatologist came by the metal reactivity opinion while he was in his dermatology residency. He had a patient that presented with a rash. After trying some of the usual that failedl, the doc talked to the patient in more depth, and found out that the patient had recently taken a new job at a plant that did plating of auto and truck bumpers with chrome. The doc suggested that the patient change jobs and report back to him. The patient did change jobs, and reported that the rash went away. The doc has considered metal reactivity since.

Wellness to all!!!

Old Codger
79 year old, loves to be very active, but am hampered as time goes on. Partial Cervical Fusion in July 1999, C4&5, C5&6; 2 each-Surgicals for Spinal Stenosis to eliminate neuropathy in feet and lower legs-Sept 2002, no help; Neuropathy cont'd for fifteen years; Clue to neuropathy from past history and new found info of allergy to chromium, nickel and cobalt.