ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM

Default Advice on recovery

Good morning all,
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to find specific answers.
I'm getting a single level (l4-5) ADR. Has anyone here had just one level done and can you give me some general guidelines for recovery time?
Like, first week blah blah, second week and so on?

I realize everyone is different but any knowledge shared would be appreciated.

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrigail View Post
Good morning all,
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to find specific answers.
I'm getting a single level (l4-5) ADR. Has anyone here had just one level done and can you give me some general guidelines for recovery time?
Like, first week blah blah, second week and so on?

I realize everyone is different but any knowledge shared would be appreciated.
I think every doctor and patient is different. I had three levels so my recovery is probably going to be longer than yours, but if you look under surgical outcomes, I detailed my recovery pretty clearly.

I would say in general week 1 is a write off, you are shuffling around and the pain is quite high (but you are on pain killers). It takes a few more weeks of walking to get to a better place, then you start some more intense physio build that up over the next few weeks and then you start to feel a little better and then it just slowly goes up (with some minor setbacks).

Very person to person though.

-Jeff
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Search post surgery outcomes for my posts as well as many others
2012-5th & 6th Dr. Opionion=ADR
Dexa Scan
Metal Alergy Test
May 17, 2012---L4/5 ADR, M6-L, Dr. Clavel
Barcelona Spine Center
Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 PM

I can't answer your question yet Mike, but in four days you can watch my day to day progress. Granted it will be three levels, not one, but I promise I will be detailed.

That's what you get with a writer.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 PM

Lillyth,

I look forward to living vicariously through you. Please feel free to share any/all experiences/feelings/frustrations/anger/joy. I live with a wife, 2 teenage daughters and a female dog. I'm pretty bullet proof!

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrigail View Post
Lillyth,

I look forward to living vicariously through you. Please feel free to share any/all experiences/feelings/frustrations/anger/joy. I live with a wife, 2 teenage daughters and a female dog. I'm pretty bullet proof!
Hahaha! I guess you would have to be with that much estrogen in the house!

And thank you!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 AM

Default An attempt at answers...

Mike,

Yup, everyone is different. I have two ADRs, but had them done in different surgeries.
My first was L4/5, so maybe I can take a "stab" at this, he he, I find comedy helps the pain.
I found that, with me, at least, that first week is difficult. But when I had surgery, I had help from people here on adrsupport.org and other places, and they told me at three weeks, I should notice an improvement as far as pain and being able to get around. And that was true for me as I noticed that at that point, I was a lot better off than that first week.

And at six weeks, I felt a heck of a lot better.
But this is an up-and-down recovery. Some people, swear off pain medications and go their happy way.
I was not that way, but I was in a lot of pain before surgery. I was however, in a lot better shape, than I am now, or even before my second surgery (L5/S1).
I was a runner and a competitive masters athlete. I first started having major problems with L4/5 in third week of May, 2007 and had surgery by March, 2008.

I had a doctor who believed in pain medication, thank God. I mean, I have talked to/read about surgeons who believe in weaning a patient off pain medications at a certain time and who cares if they are still in pain.

Back to that first week: Somewhere, on here, I am sure, is a list of what you can do to prepare for surgery. It is not a fun trip, even if it is only 15-20 minutes or less, to go from the hospital to home. Be medicated for that trip.
I was supposed to stay in the hospital, three days or so. I stayed nine days?? because of a post-operative ileus, as my vascular surgeon explained it to me at that time: my colon decided not to work.
Once it started working, I was on my way home. I was not totally ready as I was supposed to get a hospital bed (insurance paid for) as my home is two-stories and my surgeon recommended getting one. Well, it was not ready/not delivered yet, when I got home, and the first thing you want to do when you set your feet in your house, is lie down.
Also it is helpful, for someone to get your home medicines and have them ready for you. Believe me, you do not want to take a side trip to the pharmacy.

So have everything as much prepared as you can. Have a pillow so you can splint your stomach. I highly recommend the bed as it made it so much easier than trying to jump into my bed at night or during the day because it is not that easy getting into a regular bed after having abdominal surgery. (If you use your own bed, satin bed sheets, help to slide).

You can not BLT (bend, lift, twist) and you should have your home prepared in anticipation of that. About 6 weeks of that. I had a walker, invaluable. I spent most of that first week, in pain and finding remedies for going to the bathroom, for those precious number 2's.

I had ice packs too. No continuous ice machine (it is like a cooler with a pad you lie down on) then and this is a great machine. Ice is good for pain control and helping your back. Still using mine for my back.
So memory foam pillows, a grabber or two (a must) and ice machine. And having a small table, where you can place the things you need, but do not want to trek across the house for.

FYI, I had a brace, fitted before surgery and used in the hospital, and stuff like Cottonelle wipes, which are flushable. Chap stick, kleenex, dressings for your incision, thermometer, in case you get a fever, etc...
Little small candies to suck on for dry mouth.

So you get my drift, have things readily assessable that you need or want. Fix any throw rugs in the house and put them somewhere else, and toilet seat riser/shower chair and get one that stays on the toilet and does not slip. (Sometimes, these are provided by the hospital).
I got a calendar and marked off the days, weeks, months post-op.

I had never had major/or "unmajor" abdominal surgery before my operation. The toughest thing was getting up, I think it was, the day after my surgery. I just recalled when I told patients to get up after abdominal surgery. For me, very difficult, but it got better after the first time. PT in the hospital should tell you how to move, transfer, etc...
If you cannot move by yourself while in the hospital, have the nurses move you as you should turn every two-hours or you are setting yourself up to get pneumonia. Even at night, make them turn you. And it is difficult to turn, when you have gadgets on and are supposed to turn in a level smooth operation.

I would encourage rest that first week. You will not come out feeling like when you went in. For me, my body did not work the same. Legs didn't work the same and were very "tight". Needed someone to help with putting socks on my feet. My surgeon said no going into shower by myself as you are not supposed to twist. Husband put me in and turned on water and then I sat on shower chair.
Did these things until I was cleared by surgeon.

I am sure, that my long journey is documented here under ADR surgical forum.

take care,

Kimmers.

(BTW, saw improvement at 6 months, 12 months and so forth. Remember two steps forward, one back.)
And consult your surgeon, if even the littlest happens.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 AM

Hi Mike,
I'll reiterate what everyone is saying; that everyone and every DR is different! I had an L5-S1 ADR.

I'm on my 7th day after surgery as I type this. I had one pretty bad pain day, and that was day 6. Most of the pain was in my leg. The days prior weren't too bad; then again, I was on pain pills :-) Incision site was more painful than my back was. I've only taken one dose of pain pills today (day 7), and I'm feeling pretty good. Pain level is low and I'm able to walk around for quite awhile and roam about the house. Did Lego's with the kids etc.

My DR, on the other hand, is quite different than any of the Dr's I've been reading about on this site. He told me on my release day at the hospital (one night stay), to avoid bending, twisting, and lifting over 30lbs. Shocked the heck out of me (30lbs), but I'm choosing on my OWN to not lift 30lbs because I know if I start, I'll begin pushing myselft too far/too fast. But to be honest, I feel like I could pick up my toddlers with no issues. But I won't for a few weeks :-)

Good luck to you!
Gina
2016 Spinal Stim removal due to MRSA infection in spine
2016 Spinal Stim re- implant
Current osteoarthritis L2-S1
Osteoarthritis SI Joints
DDD L2-L4