ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakesurfMike View Post
I got tired of waiting on Zeegers and I still have not found out what sizes of Freedom disc are available or don't a final. I have still been communication with him and all I know at this point is he said sizing might be a problem with Freedom disc.

I contacted Dr Riscke earlier this week on the 8th using form on his website. http://www.spine-center-rischke.ch/?lang=en

I shared my MRI, CT, bone density, metal allergy test results with him via Dropbox and got an answer an then Quote within hours.

" thanks for sending your images. In L4/5 there occur a DDD with bright protrusion of the disc into the spinal canal with narrowing both foramen. At level L5/S1 there occur a DDD and black disc with lost of height and protrusion of the disc material into the spinal canal.Therefore again from my point there is no doubt for an indication of ADR in both level L4/5 and L5/S1."

Dr Rischke was an investigator on the Freedom disk but prefers the LP-ESP over the Freedom for a couple of reasons.

"with experiences since 20 years in ADR - the viscoelastic discs prothesis a the most natural like one. However from my point the LP-ESP is more adequate than the Freedom. The LP-ESP saves more the bone endplates than the more aggressive endplates of the Freedom." "LP-Esp is able to implant anterior-lateral, and the surface of the end plate is covered by hydroxyapatite which enables a save bone in growth . On the other hand I noted in the past a subsiding of the Axiomed prosthesis caused by the aggressive fins which damage the vertebra end plates Therefore I prefer the LP-ESP"

With my bone density on the light side I believe it is my best choice as well.

He is charging 25,000 swiss franc. He gave me choice of a surgery at one of two surgery centers. The high end option would be 35K-40k. I went with the least expensive option at Klinik St.George. He said is would be aprox 25,000k but the quote I have received is for

Aufwand Klinik St Grorge (OP dauer 150 Min) FR 10,295
implantate 2x LP-ESP inkl Leihgebuhren FR 6,880

for a total of 17,175. It says it includes a lot of stuff but it is in German so I don't know if this includes everything.

I have booked surgery for February 28th. I will be flying out a few days early on the 25th-27th depending on availability of unsold seats. My nephew works for American Airlines as a flight attendant and will be coming with me for the first week. He is hoping to get us upgraded to first class or business class seats. We just have to find a flight that isn't sold out of them.

I have added some more documentation on the FH Orthopedics LP-ESP thread that show the size, thickness, angles of the disc at https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13104

Now I just need to figure out where I am going to stay for few weeks in Switzerland for the first part of my recovery.
Seems like an amazing disc. So let me get this straight, he is going to implant it laterally? I've never heard of this being done.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:24 PM

I think laterally simply refers to how the disc is pushed in between the vertebra. I think the cut is still done as anterior, meaning a cut going down from the belly button.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzaga View Post
I think laterally simply refers to how the disc is pushed in between the vertebra. I think the cut is still done as anterior, meaning a cut going down from the belly button.
ah ok, thanks. Hate to sound like a noob.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM

Default No he meant it could be put in laterally from the side for certain levels.

I might be wrong but I believe he meant it could be put in from the side for certain levels (l4-L5). I need L4/L5 and L5/S1 so mine will be Anterior approach.

During my email conversations with Dr Rischke I emailed a suggestion to him on tools I had seen from spinefrountier where they have developed a long
tri-retractor that is used for lateral fusions. They are using this at Less surgery locations in Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or24J8Wlpzs&t=2s

Dr Rischke replied with

You are right But the LP-Esp is able to implant anterior-lateral, and the surface of the end plate is covered by hydroxyapatite which enables a save bone in growth . On the other hand I noted in the past a subsiding of the Axiomed prosthesis caused by the aggressive fins which damage the vertebra end plates
Therefore I prefer the LP-ESP
The next OR slot is on Febr 28th at clinic St Georg
Best regards

Von meinem iPhone gesendet
Prof Dr Dr Rischke

Take a look at the way the LP-ESP it is put in this video. The surgeon does not have to chisel in any groves for a keel because it does not have one. The LP-ESP has 5 small spikes on each end plate. The disk are spread apart and then the disk is inserted between the vertebra. When the spreader is released the spikes hold the disk in place. Watch the section that is from :55 to 1:10 where they show 3 views slowly 3 times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7T74bRip2g it seem like it would be just as easy to put the disc in from the lateral approach. I know that Dr Chin with Axiomed says they plan on doing Laterally insertions in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJkRSuMGoVk
2010 workman’s comp lawsuit
2011 Microdiscectomy approved 80% pain relief
2011-2016 few flare ups but would always get beter after a few days.
6/2016 Pain is not going way
07/2016 MRI, tramodol, Nucynta, Celebrex
08/2016 Regenerxx PL-Disc shot- didn’t work at all
10/2016 can't even stand or sit for work for 30 minutes before pain gets worse
Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 AM

Default Outcome foe wakesurfermike

It has been 2 weeks since his scheduled surgery. Anyone heard from or about him? Been keeping him in my thoughts and prayers
Old 03-13-2017, 03:00 AM

Default Update- complications

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Disc...793552987/Well crap! I knew my osteopenia might be a problem and it is. Well I was feeling great for the first four days had zero back pain. On the fifth day I was feeling pretty good but did experience some pain when sitting/laying down. It felt better to be standing or walking so I went for a long walk around Goldock. About 3 miles in all. I was only taking acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain meds. That night I started having pain on my right side of my back and little bit of shooting pain down leg when sitting. It still felt good standing up or walking. On Monday the 6 (6 days after surgery) I rented a car and drove 1:45 min to Zurich. During the drive the back pain got up to a 6 out of 10 and I was getting shooting pain down leg. The pain stopped after I walked around a bit. I saw Dr Rische and explained what was experiencing and he ordered X-rays for the following day. I checked into Airbnb and returned rental car. I bought a few groceries the next morning and walked about 1.5 miles to get some large bandages at a pharmacy. During this walk my back was not hurting but I Started getting pain in my right forefoot. In the afternoon I took another .6 mile walk to get x-Ray and haircut. On the walk back I only had very minimal pain. I showed up at physical therapy at 3 pm. (.2 mile walk) and was told Dr Rische need to speak with me. They called him and he gave me the news that the l4/l5 implant is subsiding (sinking into the vertebrae) and he needs to do a revision surgery. The surgery fee/ Klinick Pyramid surgery and 2 day fee will be $16.6 k. My family is working the money today and surgery will be on Friday the 10th. The procedure will use a ballon to lift implant and then the vertebrae will be filled with bone cement. https://youtu.be/_lUhQLFHriw Expect to be in hospital 2 days for recovery. I will need to stay in Zurick at least 2 weeks for follow up X-rays, physical therapy and removal of stitches , before returning to USA.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Disc...7775853234981/

I am in recovery room now. Dr Rischke used two balloons to lift implant back to position and the filled l5 vertebrae with bone cement. The kit had extra needles and so he injected bone cement into L4 vertebrae to strengthen it . He says it was successful and implant is back in position. I have to lay flat for 1 hr I am allowed to get up. I still have pain 6/10 in center of back, but no leg pain. I am not certain if pain is from vertebra or the 4 small incisions. Getting some pain meds by IV now and pain is going down. Images are from fluoroscopy print out so are not as clear as x-Ray image, but good enough to see implant is back in place. Pain med helping so down to 3/10 now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Disc...9137663098800/
2010 workman’s comp lawsuit
2011 Microdiscectomy approved 80% pain relief
2011-2016 few flare ups but would always get beter after a few days.
6/2016 Pain is not going way
07/2016 MRI, tramodol, Nucynta, Celebrex
08/2016 Regenerxx PL-Disc shot- didn’t work at all
10/2016 can't even stand or sit for work for 30 minutes before pain gets worse
Old 03-13-2017, 02:32 PM

I'm kind of shocked they would charge you for this extra operation after the disc subsided. Didn't it subside due to their miscalculation?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:56 PM

Thumbs up

Hi Mike,

Read your facebook updates. I am very sorry for the set-back. I dearly hope the vertebra will get stabilized and you get a full recovery. There is still hope for that! I know it is so difficult to know what to think just after the operation, when you feel that you are actually worse off. But much is temporary. Once you get healthy, I am sure you can earn back the lost cash in no time. Let us hope the work insurance gives you a helping hand!

Wishing you all the best and keep us informed. Btw. Your videos are great!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:33 PM

Mike,
That sucks, I wish you and your family luck. You will get through this!
Several epidurals, hip injections and joint injections
7/15 100 days of antibiotics/ suspected infection
2 GP's, 2 Orthos, 2 pain mng. Dr's, 3 Neurosurgeons
12/16 Met Dr. Deutsch Rush Chicago, suggested ADR
Surgery scheduled for 2-28-17
2-28-17 ADR completed
Old 03-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Mike, wish you good luck. Sometimes the journey is longer then we expect, stay strong! Best Regards