ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:29 PM

Ooohhh...Paulette -- dating a PT? That's great! Hope you had a good time, and if not, at least some good PT advice!!

Julie & Dale -- you brought up another good point I had been thinking about -- its one thing to get thru the pregnancy, its another thing to hold that baby/toddler as it gets BIG! My sister uses a harness/wrap thing that helps her evenly distribute her toddler's weight and giving her both arms/hands free.

Julie -- let us know what Dr. Yue says about pregnancy & ADR in general -- it would be great if you could ask what patients should be asking their Drs. -- what do we need to know to be well informed? What info do we give our OB? Thanks!

SG
Old 07-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Hi All You Perspective Mothers,

You are all right we do need more information on what pregnancy may do to our artificial disc. Fusion it is solid, ADR moving, could the presser, added weight in the lumbar area cause excessive ware to the disc?

I invited mmglobal/Mark to stop by this thread and add any information he might have for us.

I did have the pleasure of speaking with a post ADR L5-S1 (single) Mother. At 6 months post-op she went to China and got her daughter. She said that she strapped her 30 lb daughter to her front and had a 40 lb pack on her back and schlepped all over China. Now that�s a vision I can see for my future.

PS Good date, hope for another. It was nice to meet someone that could understand and possibly relate.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 07-22-2005, 10:05 AM

Hi everyone,

I will definitely let everyone know what Dr. Yue has to say about pregnancy post-ADR surgery, but my appointment isn't until Aug. 17. Until then, I think I will email Dr. B and ask him some questions since I was planning on asking him about it in my final appointment before I left Germany and then I forgot!! Maybe he can get back to me as a follow-up Q&A....will let everyone know what I can find out.

Hope everyone is having a low-pain day!!

JULIE

If God brings you to it,
He will bring you through it.
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 AM

Julie,

Could we get any better than Dr B, I don't think so. If you can get a green light who knows we may have to plan a mass ADR support baby shower in the next few year. I think we should let the guys come for support what do you think?

Can't wait to find out what you uncover.

Thanks........ you go girl!
Old 07-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

I think another important thing here is to educate the OB/GYNs about ADR and pregnancy.
When I was younger with my bad discs I really had a difficult time when asking about pregnancy/delivery with my back.
Neuros said "don't have kids"
OB/GYNs said "get pregnant, stay in bed, no meds, C/SEC"
High Risk OB/GYNs said "you can deliver vaginally, you have no pregnancy related condition that would suggest otherwise"...

My back was horrible and got worse as my childbearing years went on and finally at age 40 because there seemed to be no acceptable treatment for my chronic low back pain secondary to failed 2nd spine surgery, I opted to have BTL.

I worked with OB/GYNs for many years...was a NP working in maternal child health, neonatal and OB/GYN for the better part of my career so this was a very difficult decision to make.

Overall I felt the medical community and OB/GYNs didn't really have a good standardized and individualized ability/resources to work with persons with degenerative/chronic spine condition thoughout pregnancy and delivery ( not to mention afterwards as I would have needed at least as good PM as I have now if not better).

Basically in the last 10-12 years there has been a great advancement in the PM specialty, and there is far greater acceptance and understanding in terms of dealing with chronic pain patients.. and in pregnancy this continues to evolve...

Those of you young women out there of childbearing age, this is a new age of spinal recovery and childbearing ... and the medical community, OB/GYNs must be educated also so they can work with this population of childbearing/childrearing females..

Make yourselves heard...
Old 07-24-2005, 05:11 PM

One of the UK top surgeons said to me today.

I see no reason why patients cannot become pregnant 6 weeks following ADR,
i.e. after bone in-growth into endplates. I guess limiting factor for return
back to normal sexual activities will depend on degree of back pain.

You pays your money and takes your pick
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 07-25-2005, 09:26 AM

Just to keep everyone updated on my progress....

I emailed Dr. Bertagnoli with my follow-up question re pregnancy post-ADR surgery. Am still waiting on a response, but he is a busy man. Will let you know as soon as I hear anything back. If I don't hear back from him, I still see Dr. Yue Aug. 17th.

Till then....JULIE

If God brings you to it,
Every moment, thank God.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:31 AM

A little more on my questions to Dr. B.

This is what I asked Dr. B., but if anyone has any additional questions, I can always ask those questions to Dr. Yue.

My question(s) is(are) about becoming pregnant after ADR surgery, specifically a 3-level ADR.

1. is it possible to carry a baby to term and if so, how long do you have to wait to try/become pregnant?

2. is any special care needed during the pregnancy e.g., bed rest during the last trimester?

3. is a natural, vaginal birth possible with the normal pushing that is needed or is a cesarean section automatically done?

4. after the baby is born, does an ADR woman need to wear her brace again as she did post-op to make sure discs are properly positioned after the load of the fetus? If so, for how long?

So, if there are any other questions people would like to have answered, you can let me know here or send me a PM and I will take those with me to my appointment with Dr. Yue on Aug. 17th and get back to everyone afterwards.

Thanks!!

JULIE

If God brings you to it,
Every moment, thank God.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:23 AM

Quick update-I'm now about 8 months pregnant and so far so good. My scar continues to be an issue but nothing can be done now. My 1 yr. ADR L4/5 anniv. date is coming up at the end of Oct. The baby is due Oct. 22nd. So far my back is doing well. I know many other pregnent women that are having more back pain than I am and have a "normal" back. I'll keep you all posted!
Jenn
Old 08-18-2006, 09:56 PM

Jen,

You are in the home stretch girl so glad you are feeling good and the back is holding up like a champ. Thanks for all the updates I love to here how thing are growing.