ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Banned

Bill,
There is someone named Tamara at www.braintalk.org on the Workers Compensation forum and she is an injured WC attorney. She had worked in CA. so knows the law for this state tho is pretty good about giving info... anyway, you may want to go over there and see if you can make an inquiry to her. TamaraShadow is what she goes by..

I really don't want to give up Future Med as the Neurontin I take now and will have to take likely the rest of my days alone is very costly...not to mention other needs I may have if ADR leaves anymore residual pain or further diagnostics and procedures have to be done like I see here often...

WC sucks tho they do have some very caring employees that try to do their best to be advocates as best they can within the system, at least this has been my experience to date...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:16 AM

Hi Maria, I will give your suggestion a go right now. Thanks. Bill
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 03-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

I called Dr.Yue's office yesterday and inquired re the Activ L study.. guess I didn't have my head on straight as I should have been aware it was only a one level study as well as having exclusions such as multilevel degeneration and whatever else that makes me not a candidate for that study...

In fact, the person I spoke to was very nice (Laura) tho she referred me to Dr.Delamarter's office out here re getting a multilevel Prodisc or hybrid surgery~

I told her I had heard it would probably be around 2009 when the Activ L might be FDA approved and she said, yes, she thought that sounded right with the duration of the clinical study and all..

Ok, I'm clear there, got to either go to Europe, or move on here.. need to stop/prevent the domino effect.

One thing for certain, all that my regular OSS told me was true. I doubted him (or wanted to doubt him) tho he was correct, at least for what would be the best plan to get by WC if there is any chance currently...
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned

Mariaa,

Asking you to forfeit all future medical benefits if you don't go along with 'their' recommendations when you're in pain, is clearly blackmail, coercion and intimidation. You would be signing such a document under duress, you're only mindset would be getting rid of the pain. This signed document, though done with your full understanding would probably not stand up to legal scrutiny. I'm not an attorney but suggest that with all the delays wc has put you through, I'd march myself to the nearest attorney's office. You have a right to a speedy relief.

As a past employer, I watched employees win wc cases quite quickly that had no merit because they had outside representation and others that should have been covered, denied. The bottom line with all insurance companies, regardless of the coverage, is the bottom line. I realize that we live in a sue happy environment but the reasons are we're being denied our rights by big business. To put it in the simplist of terms, they started it and sometimes we just have too much to lose. We need to fight for our rights and often need professional help.

Though I doubt you'd get wc to pay for surgery overseas, forcing you to give up future benefits when you're getting the best medical care possible, is wrong. You've been around the block too much already and you should be included in any choice made for your health. I wish you and everyone else in your situation good luck. Please remember that a bully is a bully regardless of what they call themselves.

Dale
Old 03-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned

Dale,
California Worker's Compensation has been under some legislative reform implementation since Oct.2005. Right now I think all WC insurance companies are mandated to go "by the book" tho prior to this date, while Utilization Review denied or non certified a request for a 2 level ADR for me back in 2004, the WC insurance co. itself was willing to pay, but I wasn't ready at that point to have it. (also was thinking if they want to pay, what's wrong?)...

I've had liftime future medical benefits since around mid '80's. Last time I used the WC legal firm that represented me thru original case and reopening, I then had to use some of my own funds to retain the law firm in the '90s. It was worth it as I won back that $ plus more thru penalties.. however, at this point, I don't really have anything to fight just yet as I still have a legal process to follow which is apply for authorization and appeal .. go to arbitration.. so forth which I believe at which point I might be several more years older, and more implants would be approved and more data around for backing up use of implants vs. fusion..

Anyway, I thank you for your support and wishes for myself and the everyone else that has to deal with the WC process~

BTW, I think there have been some cases where WC has paid for a few 3 level ADRs overseas.. or at least one already that we know of and maybe one pending...

take care and thanks ~ Maria
Old 03-23-2006, 12:08 AM

Hi Maria,

Sorry I have been out of touch, that�s what�s going to happen to you someday soon. Glad you liked Dr Bae. My prayer for you sister is that you can come to a decision that gives you piece. That you feel in side is truly right for you and your body. You will know when this happens and I think you may be close.

I was given that same fusion option at L5-S1 for the same reason. You can see my MRI in my Blog, now that�s what you call flat! Then again Maria you are much smaller then I and I did suffer from distraction pain but no where near as much as Dale.

Keep me posted on your decision.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything