ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:56 AM

Patrick

I can certainly relate. On July 24, 2003 I hit my ideal weight after losing 37 pounds. Since March of 2004 when I started pain management, I've gained back all but 10 of it! I hate myself for doing it as I feel it shows lack of willpower, control and discipline. However, I too am always hungry when the pain meds hit their peak. I'm hoping & praying that the weight will start coming off as I am able to resume some sort of exercise program and get back into my normal routine. But right now, 3 weeks post-op ADR, I am still on restrictions and cannot do much of anything except walking - which I do frequently. I am definitely looking forward to getting the extra weight off once I can get moving again!

Karen
Anterior ADR w/Charite L5-S1 5/2/05
Old 05-23-2005, 08:41 PM

Alastair,

Thanks for the in depth and detailed reply. I almost wanted to print it out and read it while laying on the "DOCTORS" couch...if you know what I mean LOL!

That was kind of you to go through the trouble of typing all that up. It is amazing the chain reaction of things that happen after the chronic pain sets in.

I did better this weekend cutting a few pain pills in half but today when I got home from another painful day at work I get home, pop another pain pill, and completely destroy a can of mixed nuts as my pain pill kicks in...DOH!
*'05 Discogram shows concordant pain at L4-5
*8/18/05 scheduled ADR surgery participant in Kineflex/Charite study
Old 05-24-2005, 04:20 AM

Funny seeing this post. I gained 10 lbs. w/o paying attention and have no idea why. Even when I was immobilized I watched my diet. I wonder if this has to do with taking a blood pressure medication (Diovan/valsartan). Going pro - w/eat packaged diet meals from a wt. loss program at Cedars; must lose 20 lbs. Ugh..

Being fat and feeling fat sucks.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Banned

I think I had a migraine today over my body image... consequently I ate too many vegetables at dinner, drank too much tea to flush laxatives/fill me up.. so my bladder has been on overtime all night ridding me of the tea, and my stomach is on overtime w/tummyache~
Today I'll probably have a migraine tho for lack of sleep ...
Bahhumbug.....
Old 05-24-2005, 09:29 AM

As if we're not bummed enough already, what with the constant battle with pain and loss of control of our lives after injury, our bodies add insult to injury and pile on extra pounds! I agree with Patrick and second the D'OH!, with Allan and second the "Being fat and feeling fat sucks." and with Mariaa and second the Bahhumbug!

I'm gonna go now and drown my sorry a*s (sorrow) in chocolate, yet again... ;-)

Years of pain, discectomy, research into anatomy, hardware, clinical trials, facilities, surgeons, techniques, insurance. Attempts at ProDisc, Activ-L trials. Now, low bone density. D'oh!!!

At 61 years, no longer qualifying for trials due to my age (chronological, not physical or mental).

2009 - Working on improving bone density or getting rich so I can go to Germany, where medicine and insurance have gone beyond the Stone Age.