ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Hi Ventura,

I think I would opt for the epidurals to start, especially since the herniation is fairly recent and sudden as you state in your first post. Older herniations (>6mo) have a lesser probability to respond to the steroid medication. I think steroid shots into knees and hips act somewhat differently than ESI's, which could to a certain extent maybe help to shrink the disc somewhat. From the MRI report it looks like the C5-6 could also be a pain generator and a good interventional pain management doc could help you determine if it is. When deciding on your surgery option, if any, I think the condition of that disc should be taken into account as well.

When I was finally offered an ESI, it was too late (6mo after and a year after the herniation). It had no effect so didn't proceed on to the second injection. A newer herniation may have a good response after 3 ESI's. It may buy time as well as comfort while considering options/insurance issues.
*Tx's-PT, 2 ESI's Interlaminar & transforaminal, 2 SI Joint steroid injections, Failed LBB for SI Joint
Old 10-26-2011, 06:40 PM

my initial injury was misdiagnosed but went away on its own.

first big flare that i had after leaving that doctora fea took me to a pain doc - did epidurals w/ some response - for annular tear, not herniation.

had biacuplasty (whole nother story) then car accident - seems there was a new annular tear b/c i had this awful radicular pain that i never had before. first 2 epidurals worked so well i thought i just had a little pull on it but nope... fire brewed up again and wasn't gone til last Wed. my disc looked like one that had endured multiple annular tears on the left.... but no herniation. lucky me... consensus from my docs is that annular tears produce some of the worst pain they see.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM

The injections are definitely helping me "get by" until I can get Social Security & Medicare (also Flexeril, Celebrex, and Lidocaine patch).

You might ask the doc why he/she thought the insurance co. would approve ADR and investigate the appeal process, if you still want to pursue ADR. I intend to investigate ADR further once I'm covered. Others' comments that surgery is a last resort seems right on. I'm getting to the point where I cannot live with the pain anymore, so surgery is looking likely for me. Pain management is first choice, though.
Plan: Trying to see spine surgeon at charity hospital, further diagnosis. Evaluate for S.I. joint fusion and lumbar and cervical fusions/ADR.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Default appeal?

have you appealed?
I have UHC and they denied my claim for ADR twice. UHC claims that ADR is experimental... My doctor knew that UHC would deny the claim so his office set me up with an advocate group that works with/for Synthes the maker of ProDisc (Patient Assistant Line. PAL) they were the ones that put together all my medical records and put the appeal together and fought very hard to help overturn the denial.

7 months later an independent review origination (MCMC) decided that ADR is the right procedure for me and that it is NOT experimental. Now on Tuesday (11-22-11) Ill be having my L4-L5 replaced using ProDisc L.

if you read my posts in Insurance Hell (Fought UHC and won... and Patient Assistant Line (PAL) & Advocate) I talk about what PAL is and how they helped appeal the decision UHC.

I hope you find the best answer for you.
MRI in 2011 more DDD and disc starting to bulge.
Fought UHC for 8 months and WON
October 31, 2011 IRO overturned UHC denial!
November 22, 2011 my spine got an upgrade.
(ProDisc-L) Best medical decision I have ever made

http://www.facebook.com/rebeccabille
my story: http://youtu.be/hT1jKmcOV8Y