ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-25-2006, 06:24 PM

Hi. I have been purusing your forum and have already found it helpful to me. Thank you all, for that. I'm hoping my family will join soon, also. I would like to introduce myself by giving some background -

I'm 47yrs old, married to a wonderful man for nearly 27 yrs and the mother of 2 fine sons. I had a ray-cage fusion at L5-S1 in 1999 and I'm doing fine. My husband (48)is disabled due to back problems-has never had any back surgeries and was told about 2 years ago that he was inoperable & to never expect to work again. Now,we are managing O.K., for the most part, with his situation. His SS disability was granted last month. Our 21yr old son hydroplaned in his truck returning back to school (UF)after Thankgiving & hit the guardrail. He injured his back (herniated disc)and is in PT. I don't think he is progressing as well as he should, so I am going to UF to see about him in 2 weeks. I'll know the skinny on his situation before I return home.

With that said, from here out is why I'm seeking your help today:
Our eldest son, Josh is 24yrs old. He has a PLIF fusion at L5-S1 done in May 2003 (due to a rear end collision). In June 2005, he was electrocuted at work and it threw him backwards into another lab table. Initially,(for 3 weeks) we thought the pain was caused by damage to his fusion. As it turns out, his original surgery appears fine, but his L4-L5 disc is split in half and his neurosurgeon has recommended surgery. The L3-L4 doesn�t look good either, but the surgeon only does fusions and doesn�t want to do the L3-L4 at this time. He is concerned about the deterioration that will be caused by having 2 fusions, especially since the L3-L4 is already deteriorating. We discussed ADR - he expressed a lot of reservations about it, but in his second breath informed us that he might start doing them in a year or so. He recommended getting a second opinion.

First, let me say that I praise the Lord that Joshua wasn�t killed in either accident. Both were extremely serious accidents and we are blessed to have him still with us. However, I am HORRIFIED at the thought of a 2nd fusion and very likely a 3rd to follow! I�m afraid he�ll be disabled for the rest of his life, if not immediately, within a few short years. Based on all the material I have read, I believe his best opportunity for a productive life is to have the ADR surgery. But, we are open to alternatives, as it is all so new.

At this time, he is tempted to just have the fusion (if & when WC approves it) because it would be the quickest solution & he & his wife are at the end of their rope. Also, he is concerned that if something were to go wrong in Germany, he would have to come home and no doctor would take him as a patient. He is afraid of them having to go through the stomach. He is concerned that it may not be successful since it will be on top of a fusion. Josh just got married last March (wonderful girl) & she has stood by him, but is just plain afraid of the whole foreign country situation. He is concerned about paying for it even though we are perfectly willing to take care of the financial part - (This is a worker�s comp situation and it has been an absolute nightmare! Joshua had to hire an attorney just to make them provide him medical care. Currently, the attorney has filed over 30 grievances/petitions, etc. JUST to make them approve necessary medical care (prescriptions, mri,PT,injections,dr appointments, a brace)! They are inhumane. If I treated one of my animals like my son has been treated - I would be arrested for abuse!) This is why we are fed up with WC and are willing to pay to get his back fixed. We are mid-class working Americans and have always paid for everything we get. If he ever recovers from WC he can pay us back.)

How soon can they schedule a surgery? Who should do it? I believe, time is of the essence, since the disc is split.

Please advise me how to calm my son & his wife�s fears that I have mentioned above by giving me your perspective on these things. Anything I say about the surgery, they have a rebuttal. It is all overwhelming at times for all of us.

I am grateful to you for allowing me to write you and also your concern for other back sufferers. Thank you so much for sharing. Any help you can give us will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Apache
Old 02-25-2006, 09:20 PM

Apache,

WOW you have a lot on your plate and I am glad you found us. There are a lot of info here and people to help. I am only a one level L5-S1 and had it done here in the states, Good Outcome, it is possible but multi-levels are still questionable. Many have ADR above a fusion that is posible as well. Have your son take a look at the surgical outcomes to get an idea of what�s out there.

Welcome aboard and I hope you find it cozy here and I will keep you and your family in my prayers

God Bless
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 02-25-2006, 09:30 PM

Welcome, Apache,
I think you have come to the right place. There are many many intelligent and knowledgeable people on this forum.

Your family certainly has had more than its share of back problems! I can understand the discomfort your son is in as far as making any more surgical decisions.

But he is already somewhat ahead of the game - his surgeon suggested getting a second opinion, and discussed ADR as an option - more than a lot of spine surgeons would do. Go for it. Get two more opinions, even. There are now lots of surgeons doing ADR in the US. You don't necessarily have to leave the country.

If you tell us what part of the country you are in, chances are more than one poster will be able to give you the names of some excellent surgeons who do ADR and/or fusion somewhere closer than across the Atlantic.

If you don't get a lot of response, you could repost on Arthroplasty Central.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Apache, I enjoyed our chat earlier. I look forward to corresponding with you again soon and getting deeper into the tricky details.

Great people here to help you and your son...a blessing for us all!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-26-2006, 05:50 AM

Hi Apache,
I don't live in the USA but the two doctors in the USA that have seemed to have done well for people are doctor Yue and Regan.

I can understand your son is concerned about going to Germany but there is a link in the FAQs both to Dr Zeegers in Munich and Dr Bertagnoli. Both have done many ADRs Dr Zeegers must now have done 1500 on his own. By 2003 he'd done a thousand!

I can understand the concern about the anterior approach (surgery through the stomach area) but the discs are at the front of the spine not at the back so it's the most practical and sensible approach to take for the surgery.

There's loads of information here, if you look there's Jeff D just posted after 12 months with a three disk implant with Dr Zeegers and he's doing really great.
Best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 02-26-2006, 09:10 AM

hello apache
welcome to our tiny place on the web.there a wonderful bunch here.
chuck
Old 02-26-2006, 09:13 AM

alastair correct me if my wrong but the front aproach has its benifits as such as not cutting on strip the back musles leaving them in tact making the back stronger?
chuck
Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Hi Chuck,
It's not so much a matter of keeping the back muscles strong, but the actual discs are at the front of the spine so it's a very easy access through the stomach area. You would have an extremely vicious and difficult approach trying to go through lower ribs in some cases to get to the discs at all.

If you look at an anatomical diagram you will see what I mean. Strangely enough the stomach muscles do support the back, and play a big part in your spine strength.
Best:
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 02-26-2006, 10:46 AM

Good post Alastair.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:48 AM

Sorry..Welcome Apache.