ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 PM

I have read previous info. on abdominal adhesions following ADR. My doctor sent me to a gastroenterologist who poked around my abdomen and basically gave me a prescription for lactulose. He was in a hurry and rushed through everything. I eat very little and when I do I get a very full pressure feeling in my abdomen around the incision site, frequent urination, and some constipation. He blocked out everything but constipation and gave me the prescription. I brought up adhesion and he laughed it off saying I would be in severe pain and vomiting. That is not what I've read online so what I was wondering is....are there any tests (ie. CT scan, ultrasound) that will show adhesion or can it only be found through laproscopy? Anyone know? Thanks.
physical therapy/pain med no success
Refuse Fusion
Bone scan shows L5-S1 pars defect will hold ADR @ L4-5
7/31/07 pro-disc L4-5 Dr. Robert Watkins Jr. Marina Spine Institute-Mari
Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Judy,

A good massage therapist can really help you -- by finding and working out the scar tissue --and perhaps some of the adhesions too. Here’s a short list of things that you may want to research & consider:

- Massage: some therapists have special training in medical massage, look in your phonebook or call the hospital for referrals.

- Stretching: same as above, in that some professionals can provide instruction on stretching and yoga-type exercises to “untangle” some of the knots and stresses in the GI tract.

- Tai Chi: this takes many years to master, but a few simple exercises help you learn how to breath more effectively. More to your point, certain easy movements can help you gently stretch your innards (one called Heavenly Circles come to mind).

- Enzymes: over the counter enzymes are one of the most incredible and neglected health miracles in this country. There are several enzymes that can help dissolve the fibrin within scar tissue, possibly with adhesions too. Info resources for enzymes on the Internet are “crappy,” but libraries and bookstores have some good resources. I liked, The Complete Book of Enzyme Therapy by Anthony J. Cichoke.

Hope this helps….

One more thing I almost forgot to mention. I had an emergency appie in 2000 (almost croaked, as the appendix burst) and had a slow recovery. I did develop a “tight spot” or constriction in the upper small intestine. Eventually, I had a colonoscopy which fixed the problem – perhaps by blowing up my GI tract like a balloon – and undoing the adhesion!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM

Thanks for the information. I'll look for the book online. The uselss gastro dr. said I should go see the vascular surgeon that did the entry. His name is Salvador Brau. He's the bigshot of spinal entries here in los angeles so I'm doubting he'll take the time to see me but I'm gonna try.
http://www.spineaccess.com/
Refuse Fusion
Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 PM

Try to find a Manual PT in your area or try this website, worked wonders on my adhesions. I had the same problems as you. I felt like somebody had parked a car on my belly.

http://www.instituteofphysicalart.com/
Old 10-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator

I asked my friend Karen who is a surgical PA about methods to prevent adhesions recently, but my questions were specific to adhesion barriers that some surgeons use (perhaps not so much in the spinal world). Some of the excerpts below may provide insights on the original question.
__________________________________________________ ______

I finally saw the surgeon I had wanted to ask about the adhesion film. He said there have been no long term studies on it because determining if it actually cuts down on small bowel obstructions requires following people for too many years to be feasibly possible. You can have one abdominal operation at age 30, get adhesions and not get a bowel obstruction from it until you are 80. He said that what has been shown though is that people that have needed re-operations on their abdomens for various reasons did have a markedly reduced amount of adhesions compared to people that the film was not used in. Less adhesions theoretically translates into less possibility for small bowel obstructions in the future.

He also said it has virtually no risk since it is biodegradable and gets completely broken down by the body. It does its work immediately following surgery at the time adhesions would be forming, and then dissolves.

So if the surgeon uses it I would probably request that he put it in. Wouldn't hurt. That's what this particular surgeon advised. I like him not only because he's an excellent surgeon, but because he follows the research pretty well and thinks about things very logically from a risk/benefit perspective and he's very practical.

From a follow-up email on this original post, also from Karen:

If someone is in a lot of pain, vomiting and not having bowel movements or passing gas, then they may have a complete bowel obstruction which is what the guy she saw was eluding to. You can have a partial obstruction with some symptoms, some pain, bloating, constipation or actually some diarrhea sometimes. Can certainly be on and off as well. The workup is to have a KUB x-ray and then do a barium swallow with small bowel follow up films. If that is suggestive, the doc would usually then proceed with an abdominal CT with contrast to drink. If partial small bowel obstruction is suspected the person to see is a general surgeon, after perhaps your PCP to start the workup.

Judy, how are you doing?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 AM

My doctor and i have been playing phone tag. In the meantime I have been reading my eyeballs out on the internet. I read the entire FDA approval on "intergel" and "interceed", which are the substances used to prevent adhesions. The FDA originally denied the approval, then approved and now I believe it has been pulled again. I began seeing lawsuits listed online when I run the names of the product. I found a doctor in Laguna, Ca who said he would see me regarding possible adhesionolysis. Of course with workers comp. I have to jump through the hoops. Also have to find out if thats what i have. I will print out the last message so my doctor can see what I'm talking about. I definitely need some kind of test and hopefully that info. will aid him somehow. FYI. there is an intersting website;www.adhesions.org
Thanks.
Refuse Fusion