ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:33 PM

Hello Everyone. What are the rules for having x-rays and /or MRI's performed on a person with an artificial disc in place? I received a single level ADR (L5/S1) with Dr. Zeegers a year and a half ago and couldn't be happier with the results. I am 90% pain free and am actually packing to go skiing tomorrow. (Hence the interest in X-Rays/MRI's!!!)

Thanks to all!
ADR Works!
Old 03-26-2006, 03:39 PM

Email Dr. Zeegers... he will give you the info you need.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

J Neurosurg Spine 3:342�347, 2005

Magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of adjacent segments after disc arthroplasty
CHRIS J. NEAL, M.D., MICHAEL K. ROSNER, M.D., AND TIMOTHY R. KUKLO, M.D.
Department of Neurosurgery, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland; and Departments of Neurosurgery and Orthopaedics, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC

Object. Disc arthroplasty in the lumbar spine is an alternative to fusion when treating discogenic pain. Its theoretical benefits include preservation of the motion segment and the potential prevention of adjacent-segment degeneration. Despite the need to evaluate the benefit of preserving the adjacent segments after disc replacement, no study has been conducted to assess the ability of magnetic resonance (MR) imaging to depict the adjacent segments in patients who have undergone disc replacement surgery.
Methods. Postoperative lumbar MR images were obtained in the first 10 patients in whom a metal-on-metal disc arthroplasty system was used to treat the L4�5 or L5�S1 levels. At the superior adjacent level, the superior endplate and disc space were demonstrated on 90% of the images on both T1-weighted fluid-attenuated inversion-recovery (FLAIR) and T2-weighted sequences despite the presence of artifacts. The inferior endplate at this level was documented on 70% of both T1-weighted FLAIR and T2-weighted sequences. At the level below the disc replacement in patients who underwent L4�5 surgery, the superior endplate was demonstrated on 66.7% of the T1-weighted FLAIR sequences but only 33.3% of the T2- weighted images. The disc space and inferior endplate were depicted on 66.7% of both T1-weighted FLAIR and T2-weighted sequences. Axial images revealed an artifact in every adjacent space except at the L5�S1 level.
Conclusions. Based on the results of this pilot study, it appears that sagittal MR imaging can be undertaken to evaluate the adjacent motion segment for degenerative changes following total disc arthroplasty in most patients. This imaging modality will provide an additional measure to assess the long-term efficacy of this intervention compared with other treatment modalities and the natural history of lumbar disc degeneration.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:13 PM

Fast answer, MRIs and CTs of the L5-S1 where you have the disk will be difficult but not impossible. MRIs, CTs, and flat x-rays anywhere shouldn't be a problem.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 03-26-2006, 07:35 PM

What about fusion with hardware? Is it less of a problem on post-op films?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:59 AM

Hi Chris,
I'm guessing here that you need to send an annual x-ray check to Zeegers. The thing they require is x-ray anterior posterior with a 20� cranial angle and a lateral x-ray as well, further detail near the implant.
Best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/