ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default Healthy, Natural Paths to Health

I’ve been reading & researching alternative therapies since 2002, when my lumbar pain starting getting very serious. Since then, I’ve talked to patients, doctors from many disciplines, university researchers, state and federal officials on a wide range of health topics. From these interactions, I’ve learned a lot and have come to some rather stunning conclusions regarding natural therapies:

- there is most definitely a link between diet and degenerative diseases, including degenerative disc disease (see this link);
- proper nutrition is not only a “best practice,” but it can be a way to cure certain diseases, even some cancers (yup, that’s what I said!);
- almost 60% of Americans are taking medications, but these are usually palliative remedies that adulterate human health, especially the liver and even the endocrine system.

These conclusions are well-documented in literature from experts in both private and governmental sectors. I’ll be referencing and footnoting these sometimes controversial conclusions as I post.

My initial posts will focus on a few things I’ve recently researched: juicing for better health and the detrimental effects of water fluoridation on human health. My hope is that these alternative views help patients consider non-toxic alternatives to find and reach better health.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Default Fluoridation

Now I know that everyone takes water fluoridation as a foregone conclusion as it is thought the be a good additive to improve dental health. But did you know that:

- That fluoride is not an essential nutrient and is abundant in toothpastes, mouthwashes, juices, (some) bottled water and many other products?
- Many authoritative studies demonstrate detrimental effects of fluoride, including skeletal fluorosis and ironically dental fluorosis?
- Studies that show adverse effects on the thyroid, kidneys, pineal gland et al? That fluoride directly affects how the thyroid functions – even displaces iodine?
- That the CDC stated that 10-12% of Americans are iodine deficient?
- Newer studies show direct correlations between fluoridation and hip osteoporosis?
- That many US cities ban the addition of fluoride to water? That many countries do too? That some cities have performed extensive analysis on the detrimental effects of water fluoridation and have unanimously voted against it because of adverse health effects?

Folks, I could go on and on about this, but will simply attach a few documents that summarize the exigent issues on this important topic. If anyone is interested, I can send you the specific filters I use to filter out pesticides, pharmaceuticals and fluoride from our water.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Dr. Kathleen Thiessen Transcript.doc (54.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Fluoride and the Endocrine System

Attached, find a detailed summary from the lead researcher from the National Academy of Sciences, who studied effects of water fluoridation's on the endocrine system.

Please also note: some spine doctors are now focusing on thyroid and parathyroid health to assess patients' bone metabolism and overall health.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thiessen on Fluroide-Endocrine.pdf (143.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Exclamation

When I can, I continue to read articles regarding environmental factors that contribute to arthritis and other spinal degenerative diseases. I continue to be amazed with the adverse health effects associated with fluoridated water; more so when I find thousands of research articles describing all the toxic effects on the human body; the brain, nervous system, thyroid, skeleton, GI tract, etc.

Any way, our friends with spine problems in the UK may find this old paper rather interesting!

The LANCET: Fluoride Studies in a Patient wtih Arthritis
Paper by Cook 1971
The LANCET

October 9, 1971

FLUORIDE STUDIES IN A PATIENT WITH ARTHRITIS

A high intake of fluoride (F-) is known to cause severe skeletal fluorosis, but the actual fluoride intake required to produce fluorosis is unknown. I have shown that tea-drinking in Britain causes a high intake in both children and adults, maximum intakes in children surveyed reaching nearly 6 mg. daily in unfluoridated areas and nearly 7 mg. daily in fluoridated areas. (1) It is possible that fluoride intake from tea may be sufficient to cause fluorosis, and I report here a case which gives some evidence for this.

A woman of 55 had been crippled by arthritis for about 25 years. 12 years ago she moved to a higher water-fluoride area because she understood it was healthy for teeth and bones. The water contained 0.67 p.p.m. fluoride. She was a heavy tea-drinker, and sought my help after reading an article by me in a lay magazine. Blood calcium, magnesium, and inorganic phosphorus, obtained by her local doctor, were normal. X-rays from the local hospital showed spinal disc degeneration but no obvious signs of fluorosis; some discs showed possible signs of osteoarthritis, and there were some exostoses. I carried out fluoride-balance studies on her fluid intake and urinary excretion, the diet remaining unchanged throughout the investigation. She was drinking 3-4 pints of tea daily, and fluoride intake, measured with a specific fluoride electrode, reached over 9 mg. daily. The following results were obtained:

(table omitted; see entire article here.)

On Nov. 11, 1970, she was examined and re-X-rayed by Dr. J.T. Scott, of the Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology. He confirmed the longstanding disc degeneration, and stated that, in his opinion, her case did not appear suggestive of fluorosis.

If this patient was indeed suffering from the effects of high fluoride intake, it could not be diagnosed radiologically. It is noteworthy that the urinary excretion of fluoride, before tea-drinking stopped, was in the range of 1.5 to 2.0 ppm, which according to Machle and Largent (2) is indicative of fluoride retention.

Little more than 3 months after stopping tea-drinking she reported that pain had diminished to the point where she was almost able to do without analgesics, and that mobility had increased so that she had been able to take on a job as representative, involving a considerable amount of walking. The improvement continued, and after 6 months she reported that she was virtually free of pain, and considered she could do without drugs. In July, one year after stopping tea-drinking, she reported that further improvement had apparently ceased, but there had been no deterioration and she was able to do without pain-killing drugs except in emergency.

Possibly some cases of pain diagnosed as rheumatism or arthritis may be due to subclinical fluorosis which is not radiologically demonstrable.

H.A. Cook
Scientific Committee for the
Study of Fluoridation Hazards
14 St. Albans St.
London S.W.1.

Also see: Fluoride & Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis (DISH)
Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Finally, some progress...better late than never:

U.S. Wants to Reduce Fluoride in Drinking Water

Officials Call for Lower Fluoride Levels to Prevent Dental Problems Due to Excess Fluoride

U.S. Wants to Reduce Fluoride in Drinking Water

An excerpt:

"...The effects of excess fluoride aren't just a dental concern, says Houlihan. Some data suggest that excess fluoride may also be linked with skeletal bone damage, she says, and possibly hormone disruption. "It has also been deemed an emerging neurotoxin."

Are you guys reading this stuff? Is it making sense? Helping?!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Default Fluoride, continued

Is Fluoride Really As Safe As You Are Told?

Is Fluoride Really As Safe As You Are Told? 2/2/02
Old 02-15-2013, 06:25 PM

Can I just say I love you? I have been posting about these things for years and everyone just calls me a conspiracy wacko. Fluoride is bad news and, in your drinking water, it does nothing for your teeth at all. Hitler put in the water supply to make the Jews more docile. And no. I'm not making that up. There is no earthly reason for it to be in our water supply.

Oh, and if you really want something to blow your mind, go watch the trailer for Raw in 30 Days. They took six diabetics INCLUDING A TYPE ONE DIABETIC and CURED THEM in 30 days of eating only raw foods. As in Diabetes GONE. Pretty cool, and really does confirm how important it is for us to eat well.

Keep fighting the good fight brother!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

Bebe, love right back at you!

Sadly, as you know, the research identifying the destructive role of fluoride on the body, particularly the endocrine system (THYROID!) is well documented. Even Dr. Max Gerson figured this out in the 1950s, and showed how fluoride (et al) disrupts hundreds of enzymes in the thyroid -- and even displaces iodine. See the previous topics and attachments for the corroborating research performed by the National Academy of Sciences.

There is so much fluoride in toothpaste, we are advised to call Poison Control if we swallow it. And why do we allow the state to poison our water? It's crazy. We are "wacko" if we drink this poison!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Wink

Here's the link that Lillyth suggested:

::. RAW FOR THIRTY .::

Raw food can be your way to good health. Simple concept, though may be hard to swallow for many...

Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 PM

Lemme tell you story. (Please read that in your best Natasha and Boris bad cartoon Russian accent).

When I was 13 I went to my local dentist. I was living in the tiny town of Yountville, CA. When I was 13 I was the same height and weight as I am now, roughly. This will become important later on. The dentist did whatever it was he was supposed to do to me (don't remember what it was, and it's not important anyway).

After he was all done, his assistant came in, put a small cup down in front of me and said, "Here ya go!" then walked out. Now mind you, she did NOT tell me to rinse with it and spit it out. So picked up the cup and swallowed the WHOLE THING. Yes. I drank the ENTIRE cup of fluoride. At this point, I started to feel kind of ill. The assistant came back in and I told her I wasn't feeling good. Somehow (things are kind of fuzzy) she sussed out that I had swallowed the entire cup of fluoride. Now, did my dental professionals rush me to the ER or Poison Control like they should have? Noooooooooo... Did they call my father? Noooooooooooooooo... What did they do? They sent me home. On my own. After all, it was only two and a half blocks.

I don't really remember how I even got home. I recall, about a quarter of a block after leaving the dentist's office shaking, being dizzy (so dizzy I had to hold on a fence so I could even walk straight), walking like the worst impression of a drunk person you can imagine, then violently vomiting into the ground and promptly blacking out.

Now, here is the response protocol: "If you or your loved one are experiencing any life-threatening or other
emergency symptoms, including fainting, convulsions, difficulty breathing,
swelling, heart irregularities, or any other very frightening symptom,
and/or if you know that there has been some immediate, heavy fluoride
exposure, such as a child drinking a fluoride rinse or a lot of toothpaste:
IMMEDIATELY CALL YOUR NEAREST POISON CONTROL CENTER AND/OR
BRING TO THE NEAREST EMERGENCY ROOM! DO NOT HESITATE!"

Now mind you, I was the size of a full grown adult. What the hell would this do to a CHILD?

I had all of those symptoms. All of them. Yet, we put this crap in our water. I am so very clear after that experience that fluoride is a POISON. If you swallow it, you are supposed to call POISON Control. Hello? This would indicate it is a what? A POISON.

To recap: I shook, my heart went all wonkey, I blacked out after vomiting, I don't even know how I got home. Only a poison can do that to you.

Oh, and did I mention I have thyroid issues? Coincidence? I think not.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.