ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Three level ADR pain

Just passed three month anniversary of my C.4thru C7 Mutilevel ADR. Still have shoulder pain and cannot lift my arm. I have been doing therapy twice a day and pool sometimes. But still can't lift arm from shoulder. Seems to weigh a ton. Also shoulder pain on walks. On the positive side, my insurance covered almost half of the costs of the three level. What a pleasant surprise when I got the mail today. My doc says it may come back in a year but shoulder will never be the same. That was not encouraging. Even with all the deltoid exercises, the shoulder muscles are still atrophied. I would do it again though. It's better than being completely paralyzed by not doing anything. I do not think it is anything the doctor did as Dr Clavel said it was C5 palsy which happens to about 5 % of patients. Has anyone else out there had C5 palsy after surgery. Maybe I could get some advice that would help. Thanks!
May need lumbar later as I have had 6 injections. They do help. Also had Physical Therapy. Just had 3 level cervical discectomy with C4-5. C5-6 C6-7 ADR but have severe arm pain now. Waiting for X-ray and Dr Clavels plan.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanks0001 View Post
Even with all the deltoid exercises, the shoulder muscles are still atrophied. I would do it again though. It's better than being completely paralyzed by not doing anything. I do not think it is anything the doctor did as Dr Clavel said it was C5 palsy which happens to about 5 % of patients. Has anyone else out there had C5 palsy after surgery. Maybe I could get some advice that would help. Thanks!
I'm don't have any advice as I lack experience in this however, keep the thought in mind that time will heal according to the Dr.

I would like to know though, if you had any arm deficits prior to your surgery or was it that doing nothing was going to lead to paralyzation? Did Dr. Clavel say why surgery could cause palsy in 5% of patients?

Wishing you the best outcome.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 AM

Default C5 palsy

I had no pain at all on the left side but had some on the right. As far as the pain in the neck area. I only get a few occasional pain spasms when doing the deltoid exercises. All of the pain has always been in the shoulder area. I read on Internet that as much as 8% of males get it but mostly after fusion surgery. The surgeons and studies done have no reason as to why it happens. Most people get at least 70% better in about six months. It has been very slow but my lower arm elbow down has gotten better and my bicep area has returned a little . The deltoid seems to want to work muscle wise but no nerve action yet. Thanks for the good wishes in recovery. That insurance check paying for half the surgery made it feel a little better. Lol
May need lumbar later as I have had 6 injections. They do help. Also had Physical Therapy. Just had 3 level cervical discectomy with C4-5. C5-6 C6-7 ADR but have severe arm pain now. Waiting for X-ray and Dr Clavels plan.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:53 PM

dhanks,

Thanks for answering and I'll be pulling for a full recovery for you.