ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:45 PM

Unhappy New to ADR Support

I am looking for information re; Neurosurgeons and ADR in the Phoenix, AZ area. I am ready to admit that I need surgery and would rather have an ADR instead of fusion.

I have researched the advantages and disadvantages of fusion vs. ADR. As far as I know, I have one level at c6/c7 that needs surgery. I have had every possible non-invasive procedure (epidurals, acupuncture, traction, RFA, medial branch blocks, chiropractic) and am starting to not get relief. The past year has been really bad and my pain level is at a 6 to 7 average and with migraines it shoots up to a 9.

I am on Lyrica and take muscle relaxers to maintain my life of going to work and take care of a family. Without medication I don't think I would be able to do it, which scares me.

I have been diagnosed with disc degeneration disease and have C3/c4 herniation along with a disc in my lower back (I forgot which disc). These discs are not bad enough for surgery, thankfully.

I just want to get back to normal, whatever that is. At this point, I feel like a zombie walking through life and not living my life. I have missed the last year being in pain and on medication that makes my mind numb.

Can anybody give me advice on where to start and what questions to ask when searching for a Neurosurgeon and what ADR device to have implanted in my body.

Thank you in advance!
2010 & 2013 - RFA at facet joints
Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the late reply! I recall The Yeung team (father and son) in your area, they are highly experienced in spinal MIS.

You can also search this forum with an advanced search:

ADRSupport Community - Search Forums

You can also search the member directory by location too! Perhaps search by state, then send them a private message (PM):

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/mem....php?do=search

May I ask, to what do you attribute your double whammy of cervical and lumbar DDD?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 PM

I suggest you look at Barrow Neurosurgical in Phoenix. I had a consult with Dr Steve Chang. He has performed ADR surgery with the ProDisc-C (I'm not a fan of it). His consult cost $400. I would mostly use him to get an accurate read of your MRI. Also, I have one friend that had a ruptured L5/S1 disc that he worked on and is doing fine (3mo post-op).

If you Ins allows you to go out of state i've also had a phone consult with Dr Carl Lauryssen in LA. His name come up a lot and he is a very talented surgeon as shown by just goolging his name. He has just been qualified with Mobi-C (a better ball-n-socket) I'm actually considering a two level with it.

-RP
C4/5: moderate left neural foramina narrowing
C5/6 moderate canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foramina narrowing
C6/7 moderate canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foramina narrowing
C7/T1: Unremarkable
Old 10-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Welcome

Hi Cgmagoo,
Just wanted to welcome you to the board. Sorry you have to be here. There are a ton of folks here who understand what you're going through. You might find some buds by searching the boards using key words like c6-c7 and ProDisc.

Glad you're here!
2012 trauma lumbar following yard work
Nov 2012 MRI Bulging discs L4,5, S1
Mild stenosis
Dec-Jan PT
Jan 2013 Discogram
Results Level 5 Annular tears L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
Need 3 disc fusion
Facet Joints injections, March 2013- no relief
Transform.., Epidural Injections 4-23-13 Right L2-3 No relief
2nd ESI 5-14-13 L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 No relief ugh.
ADR L3-4, L4-5, Fusion L5-S1 Fusion Dr.Blumenthal TBI July, 2013
Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 PM

Harrison,

I went to my Primary Care Physician to get a referral and he referred me to DISC which is Dr. Yeungs' practice.

The double whammy of cervical and lumbar DDD is a combination of bad genes (both mother and father have DDD, cervical and lumbar) and 2 car accidents.

So I now have a referral and MRI to get done. That will give me enough to determine what to do next. I will keep you posted.
2010 & 2013 - RFA at facet joints