ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM

Default Memory foam mattresses and back problems

Was curious if any of the folks here have familiarity with memory foam mattresses, in particular the tempurpedic. I purchased one of the firm versions a few momths ago and am growing concerned that it may be exacerbating my back problems. Things have been deteriorating with my lower spine over time, but I can't tell how much (if any) effect the new mattress is having. Any feedback/input would be greatly appreciated!

Alan

P.S. Found a couple old threads on here, but they all seem to be dead...:-(
Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Default Zzzzzzz

Hey Alan,

Dunno what's up with any dead threads...hope these help! I created a FAQ just for you!

Mattresses: What are spine patients discussing?

Do the topics therein work for you???
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Thanks...I'm honored!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Default mattress

Having someone else in bed can create issues. That is why I went with the Select Comfort. At the end of their model year they have a half price sell on the demos. You get new covers and anything fabric and what foam is in the sides.
Had minimally invasive PLIF with internal fixation on 12/28/09 for isthmic spondylolisthesis of L5-S1 (TDR contra-indicated) DDD at L3-4 & L4-5, All L-Spine doing well. Episodes of no pain at all. After being relatively pain free for 4 months, C-Spine gave up. MRI due 11-1
Old 10-21-2009, 03:06 AM

I have had a Tempurpedic matress for many years. It is one from the time when they only made one model, something along the line of basic or classic. It is excellent. I lie on other beds frequently in anything from good to top class hotels and they can rarly match the comfort of my basic tempur bed. The fact that is does mold to my back enables my to lie in any one position longer then on most other beds. There are some other pretty good matresses out there that also work very well but this one works good and in my case I don't think it agrevates my problems, if anything i hurt less then on most other beds. It s a good matress. I have tested some of the newer softer models and am not sure whether these would actually be better or not but then again it is somewhat personal.