ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator

We all know you don't jump in the hot bubblie while your new zipper is healing -- but this article may keep you out for good!

Whirlpool baths: enter at your own risk

By Megan Rauscher Fri Mar 3, 2:11 PM ET

Better think twice before soothing those aching muscles in a whirlpool bathtub. A new study shows they can be breeding grounds for a host of disease-causing bacteria.

Dr. Rita B. Moyes a microbiologist at Texas A & M University tested 43 water samples from both private and hotel whirlpool bathtubs -- the type that are "filled and drained after each use, as distinguished from recreational spas and hot tubs."

"Every tub tested had some kind of microbial growth," Moyes told Reuters Health.

"And I was just getting the few organisms I was testing for, so it is probably just the tip of the iceberg as far as what is really present. Also, I did no viral testing," she emphasized.

In 95 percent of the tubs, bacteria derived from feces were present, while 81 percent had fungi and 34 percent contained potentially deadly staphylococcus bacteria.

Moyes explained that a teaspoon of normal tap water contains about 138 bacteria and many samples are bacteria-free. A teaspoon of whirlpool tub water, on the other hand, contains an average of more than 2 million bacteria.

The interior pipes of whirlpool baths that are not filtered or chemically treated are prime areas for potentially infectious microbes to congregate and grow, Moyes noted. These organisms often form a biofilm - a community of organisms, which work together and are more resistant to cleaners.

When the jets are switched on, the bacteria-packed water gets blown into the tub. "Due to the movement of the water, an aerosol is created that carries these organisms down into your lungs or other orifices - something that doesn't happen in a regular tub," Moyes explained.

The bacteria found in whirlpool baths can lead to a number of diseases, including urinary tract infections, skin infections, and pneumonia.

So who is most at risk? "Of course the young and the old and the immunocompromised should not be exposed, including breathing in the aerosol from outside the tub," Moyes said.

In contrast to whirlpool bathtubs, "a chemically maintained hot tub should not be a problem to a healthy person," she added. Moyes' research is published in an online journal called PM Engineer.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-03-2006, 11:18 PM

Ugh! I believe that Jaccuzzi settled a lawsuit related to this several years ago--as a result of which they sent us some special cleaner. Now I'm not sure we use it frequently enough--and I'm not sure what it does to our septic system. Wonder which cleaners were tested in the study...
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 03-03-2006, 11:20 PM

Harrison,

Well I haven�t got any bad ailments or bacteria from my Hot Tub and it�s one of my favorite therapy tools. I waited at least 4-5 weeks before getting in once I knew my incision was well closed.

Would you say no to a Hot Tub after a long day of skiing? I just couldn't imagine it. �Any Takers?�

No suits required
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 03-03-2006, 11:30 PM

Paulette:
The article is referring to bathtubs which are drained--hot tubs are not drained with each use and are usually treated with chemicals such as chlorine, same as swimming pools.
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 03-04-2006, 12:38 AM

I heard one horror story that's unmentionable about jacuzzis.

But if those with subsidary health problems enjoy worrying:

http://www.scienceblog.com/community.../20033676.html
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:57 AM

Yuk, you just confirmed my fears re our spa bath we inherited when we bought our house. I've never thought they're very healthy things, but I hadn't realised just how bad they could be.
I think I'll stick to showers!

Hucky
Treated for whiplash, PT, Accupuncture, Massage symptoms predominatly on left hand side. No relief.
Aug 04 C6/7 ruptures. MRI shows no deteriorat
Old 03-04-2006, 04:30 AM

I've read that it is important to fill the tub periodically with cold water, add a teaspoon of bleach and turn on the jets. Then drain and refill the tub with cold water (no bleach) and turn on the jets again to flush out the bleach. The good thing about bleach is that it kills almost everything, the bad is that it smells really bad!

The problem is of course that no one will remember to do this.

I'm sticking to chemically treated hot tubs myself.
Charite @ L5-S1 8/2/05 with Dr. Regan
Struggling with facet joint pain.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Paulette, I would just throw a gallon of probiotic yogurt in there -- let all the bad bugs fight it out!

But good point -- the kind in health clubs are apparently different than the ones tested. I hope the one I use a zillion times a week is cleaner; but I wouldn't use it for my chicken soup!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-05-2006, 05:01 PM

Feh, and double Feh.

Bleach is an excellent idea Dan.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:18 PM

yep a 1:10 bleach solution kills almost everything known to man bacteria wise even HIV according to all the studies and information we had when I worked in the medical field. We used it for Hep B and everything under the sun. I use it in my house all the time as a cleaner and we have never had any problems. I dont own a jacuzzi I wish I did my hottub outside bit the dust and i miss it terribly as well as my back does! But I would not hesitate to use one except as Paulette mentioned in the case of an incision that is not healed etc.
Hope this helps someone!
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion