ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:22 PM

Default Our experience was that Dr. Clavel felt that he had a 95% chance of getting it done,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlejockey View Post
We too were biased against going to Europe. You would be crazy to not be! But at the end of the day we wanted to have someone with the professional edge and selected Dr. Clavel.

First of all, as a professional pilot, I can tell you that the riskiest pilots are the ones that know how to operate the airplane, but lack experience in its peculiarities and seasoning in the cockpit. We call these guys "High Mins" Captains - they are allowed to fly the line, but are not allowed to fly in challenging conditions. So when the weather is bad, the company substitutes a more experienced guy for the flight.

Like pilots, we found that many of the highly regarded US surgeons whose names are often tossed about on this forum are still "High Mins" surgeons. They can do the procedure well with exceptional outcomes. But if you exhibit a clinically challenging diagnosis, they will revert to recommend a fusion or hybrid just as Antifragile has experienced. Call it CYA or whatever, but it is really frustrating to get your hopes up, and then have them quickly dashed when they so NO and push for the fusion.

Our experience was that Dr. Clavel felt that he had a 95% chance of getting it done, but told us he would have the fusion device at the ready. We asked him why the US doctors didn't approach it the same way, and he suggested they likely didn't feel comfortable with de-compression at the C6/C7 due to the advanced stage of my wife's condition.

As for the Mobi-C vs M6, we preferred the constrained design of the M6 over the unconstrained design of the Mobi-C, but at the end of the day, the Mobi-C was OK for us and we were prepared to have the Mobi-C. However, since we could not find a US Surgeon who gave us any confidence they would do the procedure the Mobi-C was not an option. On the other hand, Dr. Clavel has a lot of experience with the M6. In addition, there have been over 32,000 of these devices implanted so far so it is not something new.

Finally while some get reimbursed by insurance (Congratulations! You're in the minority of the minority), most that require a multi-level do not. As one of the seven doctors we talked to here in the US said to us, "your insurance won't cover it, so why talk about something you can't have."

I believe that once the insurance issue is resolved, multi-level ADR will become more common, and the issues of experience and seasoning for US Surgeons will go away. Until then, this problem will persist.

Overall, so far, we believe the decision to go to Europe was the best decision we could make given the information we had at our disposal at that time. We are happy with Dr. Clavel and the professional staff in Barcelona, but only time will tell.

TJ
So this was due to the sever spinal stenosis that he may have had to fuse? You could have stayed here in the US for that. I am so thankful that he was able to do the ADR.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 03-29-2015, 08:36 AM

Dear Cheryl,

I wanted to comment on the two questions you posed.

The issue my wife had was that the C6-C7 the disc had degenerated so much that the vertebrae were very close to being bone on bone, with one of the bone spurs protruding into the nerve. It was suggested that auto-fusion had already begun to take place.

The best ADR surgeons out of Texas (TBI) did not feel comfortable recommending placement of the artificial disc in this position. They recommended a hybrid, and even said a two-level fusion may be the best solution.

Armed with this information my wife and I pressed Dr. Clavel during the consult, as we did not want to fly all the way to Spain only to get a surgery that we could have had here in the US or get pushed into a surgery that was not in her best interest, as we had heard of such cases in Germany.

Dr. Clavel was confident, but he told us how he was always prepared to make a change in the OR, and would have fusion devices standing by. That is when he gave us the 95-98% outcome for the ADR surgery.

This sold us on Dr. Clavel. It reflected a high confidence in his own skills and knowledge, but also a level of humility and a constrained ego. We perceived that a doctor that willingly shares what his "out" is, is a doctor that know their limits.

We are now 5 month post op. We had a recent consult with Dr. Clavel and my wife's X-Ray looks fantastic. Other than periodic mild soreness, she is feeling better today than she has felt in over 10 years. We are grateful for this forum as it has educated us on ADR and also for introducting us to Dr. Clavel. I am sure that there are other surgeons out there that may be just as talented as him, but I would suggest that the entire process of working with his team, and the fact that you are in a top hospital enviroment at Quiron, pushes him to the top. I would put him in the "highly recommended" column.

TJ
- Wife has been diagnosed with Severe Spinal Stenosis Right and Left Sides, Degenerative Disk Disease at C5/6 and C6/7, Large Osteophyte Complexes at a both levels, with C6/7 on R/H Side, and C5/6 both R/H and L/H Sides. Also Reverse Lordosis.
- Performed 2-Level ADR with M6-C by Dr. Clavel, Barcelona Spine Center on 10/15/14.

Last edited by Throttlejockey; 03-29-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-29-2015, 10:13 PM

Yep. On all counts.

I'm doing really well BTW. Now just allowing other discs higher up in spine not addressed time to rest and to heal. But all Dr Clavel's work down low at almost 9 months feels good to go.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:39 AM

Ok, so in here in Hattingen hospital and I'm scheduled to have surgery tomorrow. It's been a long road of decisions and exploring other options before I decided on this. The hospital is nice and the staff are very friendly. The menu looks good here!
11/28/14: seeking 2 level adr overseas
2015: Successfully received 2 M6c implants from Dr. Bierstedt
2017: No symptoms, neck is 100% and fully back to training!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antifragile View Post
Ok, so in here in Hattingen hospital and I'm scheduled to have surgery tomorrow. It's been a long road of decisions and exploring other options before I decided on this. The hospital is nice and the staff are very friendly. The menu looks good here!
I'll keep you in my prayers. Let me know if you have any questions while you are there.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 AM

You're in my thoughts and prayers for a very positive outcome and speedy recovery! I missed your earlier post that you had scheduled your surgery. Sorry, or I would have commented sooner. Be well and come home safely.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 04-08-2015, 07:06 AM

You're in my thoughts and prayers for a very positive outcome and speedy recovery! I missed your earlier post that you had scheduled your surgery. Sorry, or I would have commented sooner. Be well and come home safely a new man free of pain!
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 AM

I think anyone considering ADR should strongly consider Clavel for all the reason's mentioned earlier. The man is great at what he does, but knows the limits of the patient's physiology, his own skill, and the technology at hand. He makes great judgements and keeps you as part of the process.

Couldn't recommend him more highly, and have never doubted my own choice once.
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012
Old 04-08-2015, 01:24 PM

Antifragile, feeling better when you wake up than when they put you out is such a rush. Wishing that for you. Good luck tomorrow, you're going to do great!
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 04-09-2015, 12:52 AM

Antifragile, best of luck to you. I am anxious to hear how you are doing.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7