ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:22 AM

Best wishes Anne for a smooth recovery and becoming pain free soon. Please keep us posted on your progress, and we'll keep you in our prayers.
, little effect on pain
Considering surgery (typical questions, which type & which surgeon!)
Old 05-21-2015, 02:49 AM

I am glad to hear that you had the surgery and are only feeling the effects of the anesthesia. Considering what you just went through, that really is not too bad. I hope you have a good recovery and will keep updating your post. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 05-22-2015, 12:16 PM

Default I echo that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne189 View Post
Just noticed your last question Cynlite,
Yes the German doctor is Bertagnoli. I've not heard of Dr. Bierstedt. Does he have a great reputation and a lot of experience?
I did not like Dr. Bertagnoli will only use the Pro-disc which he is vested in and he was more money than what Dr. Bierstedt quoted. Bierstedt uses the M6 and the Mobi-c if needed. I am so glad that I choose Clavel though. It was a hard choice too because we have family in Germany; near Munich, and I lived in Baumholder Germany for three years! For me personally; my three level fusion has not been positive to put it mildly! It can and most likely will lead to more surgery down the road. If it's just cervical; you could even do the trip alone and just take rolling bag; pack light. Barcelona is so easy to get around.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 05-22-2015, 04:32 PM

Ann,

Best wishes on your recovery. Please keep us updated.

Colorado Babe
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 05-30-2015, 12:45 PM

Smile Thank You!!!

Many thanks to all the kind and beautiful people who have sent their thoughts and prayers my way! Thank you Cynlite, Dema, scoop302, Cheryl0331, colorado babe, jss and NJ Gene!
It will be two weeks this Monday for my 3 level fusion C4-7. All of my pain had been taken away when I woke up as it would seem to also do with ADR. In the end, as a single woman who was in a lot of pain, unable to drive and fearing a fall could result in me being paralyzed I went with the fusion. The cost would have been a strain too and my elderly parents did not feel good about traveling to Europe at all. I couldn't put them through it, especially if the surgery failed in some way.
Gene, you were so kind to help me see that it was ok to choose the fusion, given my circumstances. I'm going to keep a positive attitude and do the best I can at physical therapy when my doctor clears me to do it. Right now I need to try to walk each day outside. The heat and the collar don't mix well. I walk inside some days and track it on a pedometer. My four inch vertical incision still hurts and I'm not looking forward to having the 12 steri strips pulled off this Monday. When I feel my incision pain, I take Dilaudid and it makes me sleep alot. Tylenol doesn't work. I am trying to ween myself off and only take them when I really need it.
I did hear back from Dr. Bierstadt a few days ago, and I got a quote from Clavel yesterday. They seem to charge about the same, except Clavel doesn't quote hotel and food for a travel companion. They both recommended a 3 level ADR for around $36,000 to $38,000 total. Dr. Bertagnoli was at $56,000 for a 4 level ADR. Interesting, that of the three he would have chosen my C3/4 in the mix, even though that one did not compress my spinal cord. I'm not sure if that is to prevent further surgery or overdoing it. I have been feeling somewhat sad about not getting the ADR. There was a point in the hospital where I woke up and was wondering why I was wearing a hard Miami J collar while I was in Spain!?!
If it were up to me personally I would have taken the chance on the 3 level ADR. And if I had unlimited funds I wouldn't fear having to travel back to Europe should I need it. Five out of 6 of the American surgeons I saw were so fearful of a 3 level for me, one would do a hybrid but he did not take my insurance. I even have a Medtronic sales rep at my church who knows all the surgeons in the area and he advised me against it. He told me which doctors have the best success rates and when I saw one of them he said, if it were my wife, in your condition, I would choose (the surgeon I used) and get a 3 level fusion. Because if it fails they may not be able to fix it and it will be hard to get a local surgeon to help you. You may end up with the fusion anyway but in two surgeries which would make it less chance of being successful. And this is from a doctor who does ADR one or two levels in the states.
In the end, everyone needs to look at what situation they are in and what is right for them. I need to remind myself there are people out there with successful 3 level fusions as I really had no choice. And believe me I tried hard not to get it. Life could be much worse. I'm grateful for what I have and will do my best with what I have.
Thank you again for all your love and support! I look forward to hearing about all of your successful ADR recoveries! xoxox
My doctors warned not to wait too long, due to my recent symptoms of increasing weakness in my left arm, myelomalacia, numbness and tingling, and the fact I could be paralyzed if I tripped, I chose to go forward with a 3 level fusion C4/5, C5/6, C6/7 after considering the strain of the costs to get ADR and the stress it would put on my family.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:31 PM

Anne, congratulations on a successful surgery and best wishes on an uneventful recovery. Isn't it a hoot to wake up from surgery feeling better than you did when they put you under? It sounds like you're off to a good start in your recovery. You'll probably find that you're able to do everything you need to do unaided very soon (if you haven't already).

Good luck!
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 05-31-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne189 View Post
Many thanks to all the kind and beautiful people who have sent their thoughts and prayers my way! Thank you Cynlite, Dema, scoop302, Cheryl0331, colorado babe, jss and NJ Gene!
... I'm grateful for what I have and will do my best with what I have.
Anne, this is the best any of us can do! Congratulations on being on the other side of your surgery. Wishing you wellness and many pain free days to come! Let us know how you are doing.
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 06-03-2015, 11:14 PM

Glad the pain is much less, and pray the incision will heal nicely and quickly, and you will be pain free.
, little effect on pain
Considering surgery (typical questions, which type & which surgeon!)
Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 AM

I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well. At this point, it doesn't matter which surgery you had, you are pain free and a huge weight has been lifted off you. I hope you keep getting better and better.
3 epidurals, PT, 2 MRI's,etc.
scheduled 3 times for C5-6, 6-7 fusion,
plus laminectomy at C3-4, and C 7, advised to do Bilateral lamino-foraminotomy C5-6, C6-7,a Percutaneous Discectomy L4 -L5
7/14 RFA on L3 to L5 (awake, local only)
C5-6,6-7 M-6 ADR with Dr. Clavel 9/17/14,
12/7/15 RFA L2-S1, Facet injections C2-7
6/3/16 RFA L2-S1, epidural L4,5, 8/26/16 RFA C1-7
Old 06-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Default that is the point

options are great, sometimes we don't have a choice, but it's good to have all the information. The end result is what is important! Glad you're doing well...
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany