ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:35 PM

Default NEW TO THE LIST Surgery in 2 weeks

Hello, I am Peppermint 39 mom 2 3 older kiddos (20,17,11) Married to my best friend for 21 yrs.

I have had neck pain, headaches, occ. finger numbness for several years. I had a waterski accident 8 years ago. I tore my knee up and obvisly hurt my neck. I did no know I hurt my neck. I thought it was just sore from the accident because muscles allover hurt.

After a year I started going to the chiro. and that helped. For several years it was not bad. Just occ. flare ups. Then 4 yrs ago I started having more trouble. Went to my regular dr. He did x rays and said something looked a little out of place n refered me to a pain mang. dr. I did not at the time want to deal with that. I was afraid I would get hooked on pain meds for the rest of my life. So I waited till Last summer to start back with the chiro 3 times a week for sevearl months. He said I needed to go to a neuro surg.

I got an mri and it showed broadbased disc bulge at c 6 & 7. I go and this guy is a flake.He just gave me heavy narcotics. Which did not help the pain. So I wasted 2 months with him. I went in to see another dr. He said well I would love to operate but nothing really there. So he sends me to a pain mang. clinic. They started the epidural injections. I was also put on neurontin ( did not work) 2 injections and they did not help either. So Pain mang. dr. sends me to another neuro there in that town. It took 3 months to get in with him for a consult. He sent me for another mri. This time it showed small left disc protrusion at c 5 6 It contacts the left ventral cord. The central canal is slightly narrowed. At c 6-7 there is a small disc osteophyte complex. So he said lets do a nerve block test. 2 months later. I went in last week and he said I needed to have it fixed. He would do a anterior cervical disectomy and fusion at c 5 6 and then he called and said he would prob. do 7 as well. My surgery is scheduled for the 31st. I am scared but tired of the pain so I am ready to get this over.

Oh a little about me. I am a die hard crafter. I love to sew and did that for a living before I went back to work outside the home. I currently can't sew like I did a year ago. I am so looking forward to having my life back. The dr. did say I would not get 100& relief from the numbness in my fingers. I am thinking positive as so many folks want me to sew for them when this is over.

Peppermint
Old 07-25-2009, 12:13 AM

Godd luck with your surgery, I hope you get the pain relief you're after.
I can't help with post-op cervical info but lumbar was no picnic!
All the best. Cathy.
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 07-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Default Sorry for the late welcome...

Hi Pepper,

I am sorry about the pain mgt issue. It seems a lot of docs will go "right to the hard stuff." Have you had any luck "cycling through" different NSAIDS? How are your pain levels these days? I was also wondering where you are having surgery and if you could tell us a little more about the doctor and type of artificial discs you may be getting?

BTW, in the upper left, you'll see a "User CP" link. This control panel allows you to change your profile options, and also add a "signature line" which will automatically appear every time you post. Could you add 3-4 lines about your spine history in there? It will help other members quickly assess your situation, thereby making replies to your posts more likely & helpful.

Thanks!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-25-2009, 01:00 PM

My surgery will be a discetomy and fusion with donor bone, then plate and screws. This will be done in Monroe Louisiana Friday the 31st.

My last mri showed :

c 5 -6 snakk keft paracentral disc protrusion, which is relatively hyperintense on the T2 GRE sequence and measures 4.5 x 3 mm. series 105 image 9. This was not seen previously. It contacts the left ventral cord but does not clearly displace or impinge on the cord. The central canal is slightly narrowed. The thecal sac measures 1cm in AP diameter. No significant foraminal stenosis

At C-6-7 there is a small cetnral disc osteophyte complex, which appears less prominant than on 10/31/08. No significant central canal or foraminal narrowing at any other level. Paraspinal soft tissues unremarkable.

Impression:
New, small subtle left paracentric disc protrusion at c 5-6
central disc osteophyte complex at c 6-7
Neck pain and muscle spasams in left shoulder.
Tried cervical epidural injections 2-09
Neurontin no help could not function on it!
diagnostic nerve root block 7/09 It was the first time in a year that I was not in pain. It only lasted 4 hrs.
ACDF to be done 7/31/09 at C6 -7
Surg, Dr. Bernie Mchugh Monroe Louisiana