ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 PM

Default Newly diagnosed - is 2-level ADR an option?

Really grateful to find this forum. I’ve been kind of freaking out with my diagnosis - severe spondylosis at C5-C6/C6-C7; moderate at C4-C5. I realize now I've been ignoring symptoms of my cervical spine degeneration for a few years - headaches, numbness in toes, numbness/tightness in hands, aching neck, and weird skin sensations. I am fortunate that I have not lived with the excruciating pain that a lot of you all have had for years.

What finally led me to the doctor was tightness in my throat, on/off mild difficulty swallowing and hoarse voice. I had ENT consults, barium swallow, endoscopy, then saw a neurologist who sent me for a C-spine MRI. He sent me with the results to a neurospinal surgeon here in Dubai (Dr. Shim / Wooridul Spine Centre), who sent me for CT scans. Dr. Shim said I need fusion at C5-6/C6-7. I also sent my scans / records to Houston for a second opinion (Dr. Kim, Mischer Neuroscience Institute) - same recommendation of fusion. I have not had a doctor tell me that my throat symptoms are related to my spine, but I feel almost certain they are.

The more I read on here of your experiences, the more convinced I am that I do not want to do fusion, and 2-level ADR is the route to go if at all possible.

I have a lot of questions and would so appreciate feedback.

1. I have "spondylotic spurs from C2-C7 compressing the cord". Do the spurs affect candidacy for ADR? If not, does the surgeon remove the spurs during ADR surgery?
  2. The recommendation is for me to have fusion of C5-C6, C6-C7, but the surgeon also mentioned in the medical report that I have moderate spondylosis at C4-C5. Could this affect my candidacy for 2-level ADR? Wouldn't fusion just exacerbate the C4-C5 issue?
  3. The surgeon also said that whomever operates on me needs to be acutely aware that the "left vertebral artery makes a medial loop at the C4 body". Could this in any way affect my candidacy for ADR?
I am an American expat living / working in Dubai. I have Aetna International insurance - does anyone have experience with Aetna approving 2-level ADR, whether in the US or in Europe?

Thank you in advance for your support and experience,
Melissa
Left vertebral artery medial loop at C4 body
Foot / hand numbness
Throat tightening and on/off lump sensation
Neck pain, upper back ache between shoulder blades
52 years on this planet (most of the time)
Old 02-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Melissa, sorry for the late reply. I believe you may have done some research by reviewing the Insurance Hell forum -- did you get any answers?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-24-2014, 10:30 AM

No worries Harrison! A few of us have talked back and forth about insurance - Kelly has submitted hers for approval but I'm not sure how that is going.

I have decided to move back to Texas first before making a decision on surgery. Will follow soon with an update - in the middle of packing! Relocating internationally is a bear!
Left vertebral artery medial loop at C4 body
Foot / hand numbness
Throat tightening and on/off lump sensation
Neck pain, upper back ache between shoulder blades
52 years on this planet (most of the time)