ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM

Default New member Freedom lumbar disc

Hi, The name is Adam. Recently had the FLD ( Freedom Lumbar Disc) put into L5 - S1 I have had pain for about 2 years now. Only being 27 this is pretty unfortunate. Id o not wish this on anyone and i sympathize with those that have to experience this. Does anyone else have the FLD or the Pro Disc? They are part of the same study. Clinical trials make me nervous. Any input from anyone would be great. i am only 3 days out of surgery. I was only kept overnight ( surprise) I am not looking forward to the upcoming.

Aug 2008~ seen an orthopedic doctor who said there was no injury. ( MRI report said different)

2009 ~ found a different orthopedic doctor to review my injury and found that i had a torn disc and a transitional segment in L4-L5 maybe L5 - S1

June 2009 ~ Discography shows positive DDD L5-S1

Spet 2010 ~ Had ADR L4-L5 with the FLD clinical trial
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Hi Adam, sorry about your situation. Yes, many, many folks here have the ProDisc implant, a handful have the Freedom. Can you tell us more about your spine history? Also, how were post-op imaging studies? What does the radiologist report say? And a little bit more about your pain too -- can you describe it?

Sorry for all the questions!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 PM

Not a problem at all. 2 years ago I had begun having back pain. The first ortho doc I seen said there was nothing wrong with me. This was after MRI and X-rays. It was physical therapy time. That didn't help and just kept costing me. ( this is the point I realized that I need to get copies of the reports) about a year later the pain had just gotten worse. I sought another doc. He had me bring report and copy of the MRI. I read the report from the previous radiogist and it said a lot different then the doc.

I had a torn disc in L5-S1 and aid we caught it before it could have been maintainable. After a year of dr appts and MRI and the all so painful discography I finally had the freedom lumbar disc put in. I am currenty 2 weeks out of my surgery and the pain well let me say this. ALL medical professional and other post op patients will tell you, don't get behind on your meds. Believe this.

Now, I'm looking for support here in knowing that I am not the only one that still has pain following the highly invasive surgery. I'm not good at reading the post op CT report I do seeconcern here when I read. The report says the disc was placed in L4-L5 but doc said L5-S1 needed the disc.... Hmmmm Any and all input feedback, or conversation will be welcome. Suppport is needed. At the age of 27 this can be good for the length of my life...

Aug 2008~ seen an orthopedic doctor who said there was no injury. ( MRI report said different)

2009 ~ found a different orthopedic doctor to review my injury and found that i had a torn disc and a transitional segment in L4-L5 maybe L5 - S1

Last edited by Harrison; 09-14-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Minor format edits
Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Clarification

Now I really am confused, as you state this:

"The report says the disc was placed in L4-L5 but doc said L5-S1 needed the disc..."

If you look at the actual radiologists' reports, they will state in plain English (though using technical terms) what they see in the imaging studies. Please do get all of these reports and read them several times. You can and should do this to understand the facts of your spinal history -- both pre and post-operatively.

Then, you'll be able to have more informed decisions with your family, PCP and spine surgeon. Make sense?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM

Default Freedom Disc

Hello Adam,

I have the Freedom disc at L4/L5. PLEASE hang in there as the rehab is sometimes ok and sometimes pretty horrible. You will hit tiny milestones with each week. Do NOT be afraid if you still have a lot of back or hip pain. I am six months out now and FINALLY turning a corner. You will not feel awful for six months. Everyone on this sites talks about how recovery is not linear. In other words, you will not feel consistently better each day. The surgery is a HUGE test of patience. You will get there. I am still finding out which things aggravate my back and which things help. I know you already know this but walking does help.

My advise is to walk as much as you can but wait on the PT. This may not be what others will tell you. I started at about seven weeks post-op. I did really well with therapy because I found a physiotherapist who actually worked on my body, not just barking out exercises. He was able to do a lot to get my low back and (very) painful hips to release. Please feel free to send me a private message if you have questions. You are not alone.
CD
LBP for 2 to 3 years-much worse since April '09
44 visits to chiro in 6 months
PT & ESI (failed)
Discography/CT -positive at L4-L5, annular tear & bulge
three denials from UnitedHealthcare for ADR
Surgery 2/18/10-Freedom Lumbar disc L4/L5
Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Default clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Now I really am confused, as you state this:

"The report says the disc was placed in L4-L5 but doc said L5-S1 needed the disc..."

If you look at the actual radiologists' reports, they will state in plain English (though using technical terms) what they see in the imaging studies. Please do get all of these reports and read them several times. You can and should do this to understand the facts of your spinal history -- both pre and post-operatively.

Then, you'll be able to have more informed decisions with your family, PCP and spine surgeon. Make sense?
i am confused as well. to make a long story short, MRI shows L4-L5 had the transitional segment. Disco showed 5-1 disc went into 4-5. None of the reports make sense. im concerned now that L5-S1 has some issues. I feel mislead and blind sided by my doctor not giving me full information. what are your thoughts?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:38 PM

Default Thank you

I am now 3 weeks post op and it now seems like the pain has worsened. I dont know what to think. I have other issues. Such as eating, i cannot eat very much before i begin to hurt in the stomach. Also, My stomach is still not where is should be. Its still more left than it should be. Doc says this is normal. I just hope all this will become better. I have been having trouble sleeping and waking up in pain the last 2 days. The meds seems to have work a little but i am becoming immune to them and it SUCKS lol. Any ideas to how to sleep and sleep all night?

Last edited by Harrison; 09-21-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM

Default so what's the news?

how are you doing? have you sorted out which disc was implanted into which space? How's the recovery going? Where did you have the surgery? Anxious to hear from you, as I am scheduled for surgery in Dec.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
stacy
Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 AM

Hi Adam,

Thoughts: As Harrison said, and I as I know from many MRI experiences, the written report says it all. Have you read the report? If Harrison allows it to be posted, maybe put it on the board and we can "transcribe" it. I can't imagine how a disk can transition into another disc. And if you had a provocative discogram, they usually don't lie, especially if other control discs are done at the same time.

For eating, can you eat soft foods and be OK? Or mash things down? Things that don't have to break down so much in the stomach, well cooked vegetables, soups, even some well-cooked rices like basmati. I would avoid harder foods to digest for now, cheeses, meats, chicken, etc ... protein foods take the longest to digest. And forget where your stomach "should" be, everyone is different and heals at different rates. Maybe your doctor can give you medicine for your stomach depending on what the issue is (prevacid, or even something to help break down the food ...)

As for sleep, I had that issue in 2003 after a failed nucleoplasty. Part of it was due to high anxiety and depression which really effects sleep, and Percocet since for many people it can be stimulating to the system. I tried Ambien, Lunesta, natural sleep aids, and nothing worked. Have you tried an anti-depressants with helpful sleep properties such as the tricyclic family (elavil, trazodone, etc ....). Sometimes even SSRI's help (Zoloft, Paxil, etc ...). For me, I had used the anti-depressant Serzone years earlier (built up to 300mg) and that really worked well. There was some controversy of liver problems with Serzone, but that was so so rare, many people still use it. I would again if needed.

Hope this can be of some help.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerrell View Post
I am now 3 weeks post op and it now seems like the pain has worsened. I dont know what to think. I have other issues. Such as eating, i cannot eat very much before i begin to hurt in the stomach. Also, My stomach is still not where is should be. Its still more left than it should be. Doc says this is normal. I just hope all this will become better. I have been having trouble sleeping and waking up in pain the last 2 days. The meds seems to have work a little but i am becoming immune to them and it SUCKS lol. Any ideas to how to sleep and sleep all night?