ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Default Herniated disc c-5/c-6 considering M-6

Hello,

This is the first time I have ever posted. I have a herniated disc at C-5/C-6 and am scheduled for surgery later this month for the M-6 disc. I am just wondering if anyone has the same type of pain I do. I do have some radiating pain, but the majority of my pain is on the sides of my neck (almost like deep muscle pain). I have been on anti-inflammatories for 2 years and that pretty well handles my pain, but I am starting to develop some side-effects from the medecine and feel that I need to get off of it.

My worry is that I have facet issues that are worse than my disc pain. Does anyone have similar symptoms?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Question

Hi Jet, sorry for the delay. Sorry to reply with a question: what do your imaging reports describe? Do you have copies of them? Usually, the US radiologist report will describe any facet arthrosis. Not so sure about imaging studies and consults from overseas...

Where are you having surgery?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-07-2010, 12:24 AM

My husband also has severe right shoulder pain, starting at base of neck-shoulder, radiating down sub-scapular. His arm radiculopathy doesn't seem to phase him and he says it is like someone pressing a ball-peen hammer into his shoulder 24/7. Is this similar to your pain? He also has c5-6, c6-7 herniations.

Where will you be having the M6 done? He is also looking into that disc.

thanks,
Laura
on freeway in Sept '10 resulting in herniated C5-6 and C6-7.
9/23/10 Prodisc C5-6, Fusion C6-7 (already autofusing + osteopenic) Thanks to a brilliant, seasoned surgeon who always puts outcomes ahead of fantasy! God Bless you Dr.Lauryssen!
6/25/11: still suffering with debilitating pain in between shoulder blades..will this ever go away?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:04 PM

My pain is more concentrated on the sides of my neck. Like a joint or a muscle is just really tight and inflamed. There is a spot I can rub on either side of my neck that always hurts, and has for the last few years. The pain is sortof on the sides toward the front of my neck (kindof along my carotid artery).
Herniated C-5/C-6 disc
Old 08-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Hi Jet -

I'd be interested in hearing what the docs have suggested in your situation.

I have both C5-6 and C6-7 herniations but, so far, mostly radiating arm pain and what appears to be related neck soreness. I do have some facet arthrosis on MRI but it seems like my cycling accident turned out to be a 'wake-up call' that's making me act sooner than I might otherwise have (i.e. before the problems starting to affect those two levels in my neck advanced too far).

Under the circumstances, and being generally healthy and active, docs seem to believe I'm close to an ideal candidate for ADR - and after a lot of research and talking with folks I'm considering M6. From what I understand, having some very modest compressibility should be helpful for absorbing axial (i.e. up-and-down) loads; and having "graded resistance" to motion (i.e. more resistance to motion as it increases because the annulus bands resist over-stretching as does the native annulus) should be helpful for protecting surrounding structures like the facets. While these are still theoretical advantages until proven in long-term studies, I need to make a choice now and, all things considered, am leaning strongly toward M6.

I'm now trying to pick the best surgeon from among several who seem to be well qualifed and have had good experience.

Would love to hear about your progress!

and in the meantime wishing you the best,
Tyler
Completely off of pain meds since a few days post-op and symptom-free; have returned to cycling, climbing and all other activities (but staying off the motorcycle)