ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Administrator

I tripped across an interesting (Australian) chiro site from Biff, and found this book that I may spring for ($150 clams!). Here's the book review, thanks Biff!

Upper Cervical Subluxation Complex: A Review of the Chiropractic and Medical Literature
Owen, Jonice

Title: Upper Cervical Subluxation Complex: A Review of the Chiropractic and Medical Literature Author: Kirk Eriksen, DC Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003 Price: $150.00 Part #: T-260 Priority code: CSCR

Upper Cervical Subluxation Complex: A Review of the Chiropractic and Medical Literature by Kirk Eriksen, DC, provides a plethora of well-organized, well-written information. This text will provide students, practitioners and researchers with a comprehensive synopsis of the literature regarding the upper cervical subluxation complex and its relationship to neurological integrity and the health of the patients, as promised by Dr. Eriksen. He indicates that "it provides scientific and clinical rationale for orthogonally-based upper cervical care", however, this book dwells outside the confines of technique literature and is an excellent resource guide for any student or doctor of chiropractic.

Upper Cervical Subluxation Complex may be used as a textbook, a reference or a guide. Dr. Eriksen opens with a lovely dedication to Drs. John Grostic and James Humbler, Sr., and continues with an extensive list of reviewed journals. He includes a "How to Use This Text" section, and continues with a detailed outline of the book itself. The first half of the book focuses on anatomy and neurophysiology, following the premise that "structure dictates function" (chapters 1-3). Chapter 4 offers extensive coverage of functional pelvic distortion (FPD) and its contribution to spinal dysfunction; a well-researched, comprehensive chapter that avails itself to presenting a extensive discussion readily available for any doctor's quick find referencing. Chapters 5 and 6 cover issues related to radiographic assessment and additional assessments such as thermometry, palpation, surface EMG and postural analysis.

The book then begins to shift focus to clinical procedures and related issues. Chapters 7 and 8 discuss the correlation between upper cervical subluxation and lower back pain and cervicogenic headaches. Chapter 9 is a constructive chapter, which relates the philosophy of chiropractic care with the delivery of adjustments and chiropractic care in general. Case reports are saved for the last chapter and are related to cases of musculoskeletal origin, as well as a diverse array of neurologic and autonomic aspects of cases with a focus on upper cervical chiropractic adjustments as care rendered. This is followed by detailed appendices and an author index. The text includes clear radiographs, charts and historical photographs and clear, separate editorial commentary, which allows for easy and interesting reading of detailed material that may otherwise become cumbersome and laborious.

It was a joy to read a chiropractic text that provides extensive details and substantiated research while adhering to excellent writing and editing techniques. My only complaint about this book is that there aren't other texts by the same author outlining all aspects of spinal health. I would rate this book a 10 out of 10, with no reservations. I highly recommend it.

To order a copy of this book, call (800) 359-2289.

If you have authored, published or produced a book or an audio, video or software product that is chiropracticoriented, educational, nonpromotional and written or produced in a professional manner, and would like it reviewed in Dynamic Chiropractic, please send two copies of the book or product to:

Review Editor

Dynamic Chiropractic

P.O. Box 4109

Huntington Beach, CA 92605
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Here's another great book, perhaps a must read for all members here:

Back Care Basics

A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back Pain and Neck Relief

Mary Pullig Schatz, MD

Thanks very much Tim!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-28-2005, 12:11 AM

I second this recommendation.

I'll add a plug for Yoga Journal's "Yoga for Back Care" DVD with Rodney Yee.

Best,
-j
Old 01-31-2006, 06:23 AM

Saw this advice on 'home neck traction'; would love some reaction (I actually tried it but got scared that my contraption was going to give way and my head would land with a 'thunk' on the floor').

Dangerous or not, ya think??

http://www.docflash.com/neck.html
Old 01-31-2006, 07:03 AM

Um! I think "Home neck traction" could be dangerous unless you are under professional supervision.

Are Ostriches an example?
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 01-31-2006, 04:14 PM

As someone who does home traction, the jerry-rigged set-up described is scary!!! There are home traction devices available (e.g., the Staunton) which allow you to lie flat and calibrate the amount of pull, rather than risk hanging yourself. The one caution I would recommend is to keep your dog (or cat or small child) out so no one jumps on your chest!
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 01-31-2006, 10:30 PM

I agree with my perception of others' sentiments.

I used a home traction unit for years (the low-tech arrangement -- attached to a door, used rope and a pulley to suspend a bag of water filled to a prescribed level/weight). I wasn't comfortable using this thing until I'd had a couple of years of cervical traction with my PT, and she'd shown me how to do the home treatment safely about a gazillion times.

Although I was quasi-vertical as opposed to Sahuaro's quasi-horizontal, I echo the sentiment about dogs and kids. My 6 yo God-Daughter freaked the first time she saw me using it, and I never could convince Solomon (165# Great Dane) that it wasn't necessary to save me from it *every* time he saw me use it.

But then Sol has also spent a considerable amount of time trying to save me from wrap-around ice packs/heating pads, soft cervical collars and even scrunchies ... so don't trust his judgment. I used my home traction unit for years and it helped me a lot. Just please get a prescription and some training for whatever therapy you decide to do at home?

-j
Old 02-01-2006, 01:49 PM

Sol sounds like he's big enough to do the traction on his own for you

I ran the 'home traction' idea by my therapist, and he went 'huh?' (make that 'hein'? in French).

He thought I was nuts to try it myself, but didn't suggest any 'home kit'. That's a new one on me, but then again so is 98.5% of the stuff in this forum.

Still trying to inquire on that 'C5-C6 is not mobile to begin with and ADR could give it too much mobility and cause problems'...