ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Unhappy George Clooney and Phil Collins suicidal after spine injury...

Rolling Stone: Phil Collins admits suicidal thoughts - CNN.com

George Clooney Contemplated Suicide After 'Syriana' Set Injury
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM

Mere mortals like the rest of us, except they can afford to pay for whatever they need. Not sure how they could be depressed knowing they can fly to a doctor anywhere and get treatment. Maybe they should try having an average US citizens income and not have the option to get fixed.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:31 PM

Back when Laura got her first ADR, they weren't yet available in the US outside of the one Charite trial. She told me later that the thought that occurred to her as she went under anesthesia was that she was about to get something that the president of the US couldn't get because he wouldn't have been allowed to be placed under anesthesia by a foreign doc. You're right about what money can fix but it can't give everything.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 PM

I feel sorry for Phil. Maybe he should go see Mr Boeree. I'm surprised musicians don't have more neck problems with all that head bobbing they do - especially the rockers.
*Tx's-PT, 2 ESI's Interlaminar & transforaminal, 2 SI Joint steroid injections, Failed LBB for SI Joint
Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 PM

I guess it just shows that even if you do have the money to get whatever procedure you want or need, it still can't fix the mental/emotional aspect of having a spine issue. I still feel for anyone, rich, poor or in between, who deals with a spinal issue and especially those who run into complications from procedures meant to fix the problem.

Reflecting on my own experiences, as much as the physical debilitation wore me down, the mental and emotional stress of not being function and not being able to get it across to loved ones was far worse. And that's on top of the mental stress of knowing 'I should be able to do this easily but I can't' when it came to regular job functions. I just didn't know exactly how bad it was affecting me mentally and emotionally until the physical pain was relieved and I could think/feel more clearly. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the awesome post-op drugs making it feel like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:50 PM

agree Cirobi... i was in a similar situation as you... practically disabled in my early 30's. the mental and emotional were absolutely overwhelming, and you don't have an apparent problem. people think you're fine and healthy b/c you're young.... oh how they can be wrong...

i'm also puzzled about Phil Collins.... with a neurologic deficit, why hasn't he had surgery????
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 AM

My point in mentioning the Cleveland Clinic is because people fly from other countries to be treated there.
Why? My mom had "the best" liver doctor, he was in charge of the liver department. Did he cost more, yes.
Did he care more? No. Did she still die? Yes.
Did she cry because they made her feel insignificant? Yes.
Did he send a sympathy card or call when we left a message saying she passed? Nope! Years of treating her and couldn't even call to give condolences.

The place doesn't matter, the doctor does.
Why hasn't Phil had surgery yet?
Hopefully he doesn't have a doctor like Michael Jackson had.
Attracted to the money, not the patient.

I wonder how many doctors would remain doctors if there salary was capped?

Sad that now you have to be your own advocate and research on your own. You can't just trust what a doctor tells you, because he's a doctor. Now, we have to wonder if the doctor is recommending what's best for us, or what makes them more money for "the business".

Makes me very sad for our seniors who aren't pc savy and just follow what the doctor says.
MANY times I had to step in and be my mother's voice.
What about seniors who don't have anybody?
The whole topic bums me out!
We shouldn't have to join a forum online to find out what is best for us.