ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 PM

Default supplements for nerve repair

Hi. I'm 5.5 months post-op from surgery and still experiencing leg muscle tightness and pain. I've had a myelogram which shows the nerve roots are not at all compressed.

My leg symptoms are the same as before surgery, they flared up a few weeks ago and are slowly subsiding. I had no sign of nerve damage pre-op, normal EMG, normal reflexes, no muscle weakness. Symptoms are exacerbated upon sitting.

I would like to try some nutritional supplements to he whatever nerve repair is needed to resolve my pain. I have obtained::
  • Glutathione (sublingual)
  • Methyl B-12 (sublingual)
  • B-6
  • N-Acetyl-Cysteine
  • Benfotiamine
  • R-Lipoic-Acid

Anything else i should try?
Feb 2011 - Symptoms worstened, almost bedridden.
MRI showed disc severe degeneration, bone growth and spondylolisthesis.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Rich has strongly held opinions about the best B-12 to take orally but Laura and I actually are on injectable B-12. Otherwise, you're limited on how much you can metabolize from an oral tablet.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Look up Mentax, although it requires a prescription.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 AM

Sorry typo on my part I meant look up Metanx, the latter is a anti-fungal that wouldn't help out much for the cause. Sorry for the confusion.

Learn About Metanx®
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM

try vitamin K2. make sure you have enough vitamin D and calcium.....for nerve pain you could try baclofan. hmm there was another medicine i was taking...can't remember for the life of me....let you know once i figure it out
2011-diagnosed with two level DDD L4-L5 L5-S1
2011-ESI performed then 2 level disectomy/lami
12/11: Diagnosed with spinal infection. Currenly on antibiotics (ivy). changes in mri due to infection. rushed to the hospital. got surgical drainage and a laminectomy at l5 and another partial laminectomy at l4.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 AM

Default hi

i found it. its lyrica...have u tried that
12/11: Diagnosed with spinal infection. Currenly on antibiotics (ivy). changes in mri due to infection. rushed to the hospital. got surgical drainage and a laminectomy at l5 and another partial laminectomy at l4.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 AM

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I take Percocet 3-4 per day for the back pain and lyrica up to 600mg for the leg symptoms and now started baclofen 10mg up to 2 per day for the muscle spasms. Things seem worse if I am more active or if I spend more time sitting. I'm looking to get off of the drugs and to use substances to help my body repair. Maybe I should get my b6/b12 levels checked?
Feb 2011 - Symptoms worstened, almost bedridden.
MRI showed disc severe degeneration, bone growth and spondylolisthesis.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 AM

Default hi

hmm can you try doloneurobin? its an antiinflammatory and has lots of B vitamins...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Default Natural Nerves

My Naturopath has me taking Natures Sunshine soy lecithin, b-complex, SAM-e, and minerals, and una de gato (I tried other brands, but they were junk, except the minerals, which was opposite).

This had me go from nerve pain to back to the gym. It's been about 4 months and I just re-injured myself working in the yard. I'm hoping these same natural remedies will get me well again.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 PM

Hello, I underwent spine surgery C-4/5 , nineteen years ago in USA.
I had sever muscle spasms, had lost 30 pounds. I awakened and was in total pain at that time I was on strong pain medications. Nothing to what I have read many people { How well
all seem to do } I was under the surgeons care 2 years later. Now -I have issues with speech, I saw a Ear Nose throat Dr. I'm very hoarse sounding, even if I speak low as I can it becomes terrible. No Cancer, nothing. It is related to my surgery long ago. I was involved in a motor accident where another person hit my auto almost head on. After that surgery I have to say many odd things happened with my body. My Herniated Disk was pushing on the spine cord. I have weakened immune system, take all the supplements from this point on. I'm a 54 year old woman now. What I have suffered in the past years happens to be so in-depth I do not wish to take up space. I waited and did not have surgery as soon as I should have. I went to a Dr. who sent me to one who would not do it. Then I eventually was almost lost total use of the whole right side of my body-I had to have the operation. I worked during the whole time before-cried each day on my way home. So, please anyone especially women who undergo the surgery take Calcium for the bones. I was told never to lift anything again more than 1 or 3 pounds, it was unreasonable, alone i had no choice but to do it at times. I suffer and I'm on Valium for spasms also Methadone for pain, as well sleeping medications, plus 2 other meds for muscle spasms. The best thing I ever found for spasms-RICE put in a tube sock and heated in a microwave. If you have C-spine surgery, the head weight is around 10 pounds. Wear a collar it helps. I wore one 6 months and the bone graft eventually took. Good luck and if anyone has information for me please write. Regards , Brenda 1977