ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 AM

Default patience?

I finalllllly got an evaluation back from Dr. Clavel (through Sue Hart) this morning. I'm definitely frustrated with the lengthy process going through a stateside third party (3.5 weeks from when I sent the medical records to receiving the evaluation). I have requested a direct consultation with Dr. Clavel. In the meantime while I was waiting on Clavel, Dr. Boeree emailed me to make sure his office had responded to my inquiry while he was out of town... amazing! When I told him I was waiting to hear from Dr. Clavel he told me I'd be in good hands, but to be honest, not having any idea of Dr. Clavel's personality so far, and how caring and kind and easy to get a hold of Dr. Boeree is, I'm in a bit of a quandary. If I don't get to speak with Dr. Clavel soon, to get an idea of how we match personally, I'm going to follow up with Dr. Boeree. I definitely understand why his patients love him so much.

Also, in the meanwhile as well Dr. Lauryssen's people at Global Medical Excellence have followed up with me some more about a Dubai trip (for M6) and they are trying to get some patients together. Their quote was quite reasonable and less expensive, but as I'm still not completely satisfied with his 3 level experience it is not my first choice at this point, regardless of financial savings.

That's my update! Wish I could say I have a date!
c5-6 right ruptured disk
moderate spinal cord compression
right ostephyte
c6-7 ruptured disk, moderate cord compression and endplate osteophyte

L3-4 central disk protrusion
L5-S1 ruptured disk

3 level m6 cervical ADR with Dr. Clavel 4/12/12
2 level lumbar ADR in near future hopefully!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM

Jules, well now you do have some decisions to make. Sometimes you just need to go with your best feelings. When one door closes another one opens. I know I was upset when my India trip didn't work out. But now I'm happy I will be going with Dr. Pimenta in Brazil. I really feel like this is the right decision. I feel at peace, I really do. My surgery is scheduled for March 13th. My visa and plane tickets are bought and it's just less than 2 weeks away. You really do have to feel good about your surgeon! It's been a long time coming and I'm ready. It's still so scary to go so far and spend so much money. But I have wanted adr over fusion for over 10 years now. I almost waited too long. I'm sure you will be in good hands with Dr. Boeree.
2011 - right sided transforaminal injection for sciatica and it worked, yeah!
2011- Scheduled for 2 ADR's with Dr. Rajakumar/India but cancelled until Feb. or March.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 AM

Default Dr Clavel

Hi Sandy,
I ended up having a consultation with Dr. Clavel over the phone last friday. It helped put me at ease that I was making the right choice. He was friendly, confident (without being arrogant), thorough in answering my questions and not in a hurry to get off the call. At the end of the consult I mentioned my frustration with the lengthy journey to get to there and he apologized. I know he actually did take action to try and fix the problem because Sue mentioned knowing about it right away. I am not 100% confirmed with a date, but hopefully April 12th it is... I am sure that peace will come too, when I am confirmed.

I wish you the best of health and safety on your journey to Brazil!!!

Thankfully we're both on our way to getting "reborn".

Jules
c5-6 right ruptured disk
right ostephyte

L5-S1 ruptured disk

Old 02-28-2012, 03:48 AM

I have nothing but great things to say about Dr Clavel - and I'm VERY VERY picky about doctors. He's probably the most normal neurosurgeon I have ever met. There's only one I know who even contends, and I have crossed paths with many due to my line of work!!!

Best of luck Jules - be sure to check out my travel suggestions in the travel forum!!!
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 PM

Jules, I'm glad you finally got through. So who are you going with? Boeree or Clavel? I do think the surgeons in the other Countrys seem to be nicer than the surgeons we have here in the U.S. I know it's so hard to wait for the doctors to get back to us as once we finally make our decison to have something done, when we really need the information. Are you going to have your neck and lower back done at the same time? With the money and the travelling and ouur decision to finally go for it, it's a very stressful time for sure! It's so great to have the info of the people who have went before us and I'm grateful for them. All of them are brave souls!
2011- Scheduled for 2 ADR's with Dr. Rajakumar/India but cancelled until Feb. or March.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 AM

Default Scheduled!

I am booked for April 12th with Dr. Clavel in Barcelona for a 3 level cervical ADR with the M6-C!

Sandy, here's to your successful surgery!
Looking forward to being on the other side soon!

Thanks to all for your help, suggestions etc.
c5-6 right ruptured disk
right ostephyte

L5-S1 ruptured disk

Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM

Jules,
Yeah congratulations on your decision and date!!!
Yes Im on the other side, brazil, yesterday had my operation and im at hotel now and im so happy and it went great. my left leg does not quite work right. Met another girl from canada who is not doing as well, has lots of pain. i dont have much pain at all in my lower back,just left leg where he went in through my side on the left. i won't be on again as no internet access. will write more in a week. we are off to a week at the beach for recoop.
im happy 4 you.
sandy
Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 PM

Default Jules,

Best of luck and congrats! I am so happy for you..
Be brave and be well,
Sincerely,
Christine
09/2009 C6/7 Prodisc C ADR
11/2010 facet joint inj 12/2010 Rhizotomy TBI Dr. Cottingham months of relief
05/2011 facet Joint Inj 06/2011 Rhizotomy
7/2011 Dr. Zigler TBI, facet block and Discogram
11/18 surgery with Dr/Mr. Boeree..Thank God.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:57 PM

Default Congrats!

On your decision, I think thatwas the most difficult part of this whole process. I just had a 3 level with Dr. clavel on 3/14, I am still in Spain, wide awake at midnight.

I will chime in with the others, I have been so impressed with Dr. clavel and Hospital Quiron! I will say I have found the postop discomfort to be more than tylenol and motrin would handle, but Dr. clavel says everything is normal, the more levels the more pain, he has handled my discomfort and I was able to walk the neiborhood today.

Good luck I will keep you in my prayers, you are in good hands

Laurie
2009-facet inj, radiograph ablation, SI joint injections, cryoablation stubborn no relief
2010-retired d/t pain. more injections
2011-IDET of L3-L5. Pain unchanged, up 50 lbs!
2011-Lumbar ADR recommended by Ortho and 2 neuros. In appeals w/ins. May choose Europe for M6
Need to lose lbs
Old 03-23-2012, 06:05 PM

Lauri, Congrats to you also,, hope you are doing great!!
Jules, counting the days, they will go fast and before you know it, you will be done. I did not have pain in my disc or vertebra at all, just my leg and side but not that much pain at all. Just be sure to order the wheelchair when you buy plane tickets, lifesaver for sure!
I'm back home as of this afternoon. I'm still reeling like I have been on a boat. Riding in airplanes for aolmost 24 hours takes it toll. I had to stand up a few times on the plane last night, just getting very stiff but still not too painful. I can't believe it's over and I'm home again. I know I do feel less pain in my low back so I'm looking forward to my new future of being able to walk again.
I just just read where Dr. Boeree died, what very sad news, may he reap his rewards!
sandy