ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Reposted for Jan - New Member

Hi Jan, I reposted your topic (found it on another thread). You really deserve your own post and introduction! I am so sorry about your problem, I hope we can help you!

Please reply to this topic soon, so other members can PM you if they want. Lastly, you can search for other members form your area (there are many), and also by doctor name. You may want to reach out to both after you've sifted through the many topics. Let me know if you need help.

This is my first post and I am at the very beginning of gathering information for recommended ADR. I began having lower back pain after Stg. III breast cancer and it has become increasingly worse over the last 10 yrs. I am having a problem walking now even for short distances and I was told on Friday that I need surgery. I have bulging disc's and advanced DDD. My guess is that 10 yrs of Femara contributed to my problem. I've also had knee replacement in both knees and Femara has a known side effect of these issues. I'm a diabetic (after 10 mos of chemo) and I will soon be 69. Likely the oldest person on the site. However, I'm a fighter who plans to enjoy the rest of my life standing upright.

I'm very interested in what I read about ProDisc and who is doing them. I'm not happy about what I read regarding fusion. I live in Charlotte NC but I'm willing to go where the best treatment is. I am seeing an orthopedic surgeon but worked in neurology so I'm not as comfortable as I want to be with my surgeon. I was an office manager and non-clinical.

Thanks for any info. So happy to have found this site!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM

Thank you for reposting! It seems I'm a little lost in the site as well as with my back issues. I will continue to search. I'm so glad to have found you all.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 PM

i'll repost my reply too:

in Charlotte, best for ADR is Dom Coric and for fusion is Tim Adamson, both at Carolina Neurosurgery and Spine.

Bruce Darden at OrthoCarolina is a pretty straight shooter too.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Default Going forward...

I have accepted being in pain for so long I found some of the stories on the site overwhelming to the point of tears. I have no idea why I have waited so long to deal with what has happened to me. I think after cancer I was so grateful to be alive (and surprised) it didn't occur to me that I deserved to also feel good.

While trying to clean my bathroom floor and holding on to the counter for support (I was bending and twisting at the same time) I tried to stand and I felt something happen in my back, as if something moved (?) my right leg would not support me. It was both numb and painful at the same time. From that time on I became worse. I tried the exercises I learned at PT....even called the therapist for exact direction. I made it worse. For days I was barely able to move. I iced my back, rested it and saw an orthopedic surgeon at the suggestion of my family practice doctor. Dr.Kwon sent me for spinal injections. First at L 4 and then L3. They both gave me relief for a little over a week. I was obvious to me that as a diabetic I could not continue getting steroids and being off my med's (required for 3 days) doing something that didn't work. When I asked Dr. Kwon what was next as this seemed like a band aide solution, he said it was surgery.

Prior to that incident I have had painful pressure in my lower back. As time went by the pressure has increased to the point that I can't walk very far without it being intolerable. I became inactive and gained weight. I retired when I was diagnosed with cancer 10 yrs. ago and my children are grown so I didn't have the pressure of returning to work. Now, however I feel that I have cheated myself out of years of feeling good.

Thank you for responding and for Dr. Coric's name. I have read about him and heard about his office from another source. Although it seems like amazing results have come from Barcelona I'm not certain I can do that.

I think the most revealing thing I have learned here is that I have probably been dealing with depression as well and not willing to admit it. I'm looking forward to receiving the video and going forward. Thanks so much.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:08 AM

Hi Jan,

Welcome and sorry you are here at the same time! Wow stage 3 breast cancer! My aunt is a 21-22 year survivor. Her daughter and I started doing the Komen 3-Day walks last year and named our team after her. After seeing what a close friend of mine went through caring for her mother-in-law who recently passed from breast cancer, I know it takes a very strong person to fight the disease. It's both different and not when fighting against back pain.

You mention ProDisc. I'm a post-op patient on a 1-level ProDisc done by Dr. Balderston up at Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia. He did an excellent job with the surgery and I've been able to do a ton more than pre-op, including the recent birth of my first child (that was a little rough toward the end, but it all worked out for the best). My surgery was four years ago now and I would still consider myself doing fantastic. My back is a bit stiff and sore still following my pregnancy, but I've been able to hit the gym again pretty quickly and keep a consistent routine. I actually feel better once I get up and move around which is completely different from before my surgery.

Feel free to read through my post-op thread to read more detail on how I fared: http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f47...c-cirobi-8315/

Good luck and hope you're able to successfully find the relief you deserve!

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:12 PM

the good thing about that group (Carolina Neurosurg and Spine) is that if you see one doc and he thinks another doc would be better, they'll tell you - or at least, they told me. Adamson would have fused me but thought I should at least consult w/ Coric b/c he thought i may be a better ADR candidate.

they also have spine physiatrists and PT on site - i LOVE my PT there, though my pain dr is elsewhere (barely need him now though, and... long story!)
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM

Thank you for responding Sara. What a sweet baby. Congratulations! I so hope your back problems are a thing of the past and you can enjoy all of the physical demands of motherhood.

I may have questions after my next appointment. I will try to find your story....having a little problem with the site. Thanks to this site however I know the questions to ask the doctor now and I understand a bit more.

Cancer was tough but I knew the course of treatment in one way or another would end. This battle with my back pain seems endless. All of you give me hope that I may one day be able to take a walk for pleasure again.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 PM

3B Orthopedics (where Dr. Balderston is) is similar to the group LuD mentioned, but obviously the Carolina practice is much closer to you geographically. My chart landed with Dr. Balderston after another doc in the practice took a look at my films and said none of the less invasive options were going to provide a more long lasting result.

I agree that it's enormously frustrating to have to fight back pain with no clear path toward resolution. I definitely hope you're able to find a solid solution to your own spine troubles.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!