ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:17 PM

Smile New Here, S1-L4 Discogenic Disease

Hi Everyone,

After my insurance rejected a proposed S1-L4 Fusion, another surgeon (2nd opinion) Dr. Khachatyryan West Jordon Utah suggested a hybrid S1-L5 Fusion, L5-L4 ADR and that I go to Europe to do it because the costs would be prohibitive in the US and not covered by insurance.

In particular he referred me to Dr. Bertagnoli, but said there were others in Spain, France and Germany.

I have approached Dr. Clavel in Barcelona who agreed with the hybrid assessment and proposed surgery at a cost of 32K Euro.

Dr. Bertagnoli's office been slower to respond. I have heard from Tim Vicknair, his intermediary. While waiting for Dr. Bertagnoli's assessment, Mr. Vicknair indicated that he anticipated a 2 level ADR at a cost of approximately 39K-44K Euro.

Thoughts?

I am in a lot of pain and want to make the best choice. I am also very anxious at the prospect of having to make a trip to Europe.

What else should I be considering? What am I overlooking?

Thanks all,

KerSor
Looking for best surgical option
Old 10-23-2019, 09:04 PM

Default Welcome

Dear KerSor,
Sorry that you are having this journey.
I don't know about lumbar personally, but I have had experience with Dr. Clavel. He tops in my book and already less than Dr. Bertagnoli.
Dr. Bierstedt was less than Dr. Clavel, but I chose Clavel because of the better assessment. Funcrew had surgery with Dr. Desai in Germany, so you may read his posts.
I can't speak to any in France.
Quiron hospital was so clean, you could eat off the floor. I loved Barcelona. I have family by marriage in Germany. My daughter in law's mother in German. Beautiful country, as well as Spain. The weather in Spain was fabulous. I lived in Baumholder Germany , when my ex spouse was stationed there. We love Europe! Standards there are extremely high. I wish you well on your path to healing.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany