ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Insurance Hell

Insurance Hell All insurance-related matters are here: Medicare, worker's compensation, appeals, denials, insights, wins, losses. PRICING is here too. Note: This forum has posts from 2006 forward. Older ones are in the Big File.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:10 AM

Question Does UnitedHealth cover ADR surgery overseas?

Hello All,

I have a feeling many of us are looking to get ADR surgery overseas due to surgeons with more experience, more options, and or a wider array of ADR devices to choose from than are available here in the United States (FDA approval limitations).

I have UnitedHealth, and I know they do cover 1 level Lumbar ADR, but is it only state side?

Has anyone here been reimbursed for ADR surgeries overseas, and was it for a non FDA approved Artificial Disc? Will insurance companies still pay for the surgery just not the hardware?

Im looking at an L5-S1 ADR not approved here in the states, like the AxioMed Freedom or LP-ESP 3rd gen devices. Most of the people I have spoken to about oversees ADR have had the M6 implant, also not approved state side.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:12 AM

No replies at all? I have these exact questions. Probably over the next few weeks I'll start trying to wring answers out of my insurance company, but in such an unusual situation, it is going to be hard for me to assess the reasonableness of their response -- which I assume will be "Nope. Not paying for it."
* Single-level disc replacement with Dr. Clavel, Sept. 2017. Went well, recovery MUCH faster and less painful than anticipated. Now need to get active again and keep back in shape!
Old 04-09-2018, 10:44 AM

Default International Claims Department

What I have read through others experiences on the ADR Facebook groups, they went through the International Claims Department and received 100% reimbursement.