ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:06 AM

I was in the middle of a self-pity party yesterday afternoon when I saw something that really woke me up. I was going into my church's family history center when I saw a somewhat elderly gentleman (maybe late 60's or early 70's)coming out using crutches. He was obviously having a difficult time with them, so, I suggested that he try the forearm type that I've used for several knee surgeries. In the course of the discussion, I asked him how he had injured himself and how long he planned to be on crutches. He replied that he would be on them "for life" due to arthritic hips and knees. I could not believe it. I asked him why in the world he would not consider hip and knee arthroplasty - proven, successful techniques. He replied that his doctor refused to do the surgeries because of the gentleman's obesity. I immediately told Alistair's story about losing "a stone" through swimming and water excercise in order to qualify for an ADR. I suggested that the gentleman join the group of arthritic men and women (myself included)who swim laps and water walk in the morning at our high school natatorium. Although he seemed reluctant, his wife seemed to really take hope from Alistair's story and my suggestions. I really hope to see this gentleman at the pool sometime soon since I cannot imagine denying oneself so much function and independence.

This experience really reminded me that, although there are many medical conditions (especially spinal) that simply cannot be restored with modern technology, we should never give up and assume that we are "done for life". We never know what technology - let alone divine intervention- may bring. Only one thing is sure, and that's if we give up entirely and quit trying to give ourselves the best possible physical life through sensible living and education, we will truely be done.

I'm so thankful for this board and the great people on it who help me to learn the things I need to learn to optimize my spinal health. You all are great.

Best,
Laura
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Banned

Laura,
Well said!!! That's great that you took the time and the interest to speak to this man and his wife!

My motto is "if alive, change is possible"... that could mean either way. however, having been so far down after failed back surgery, I meant change in a hopeful and good way~

You're a good bean Laura...your input/info/trials and tribulations are always good reading~

Ditto your last statement re the forum! Maria
Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 PM

Thank you Laura for telling my story, to that gentleman. I feel quite humble sat here in front of the computer knowing that something that I did in the past might help to change someone else's life.

People always tell me that I'm brave, and all sorts of other things, I just really think I'm probably just very stubborn -- -- -- lol
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-05-2005, 02:11 PM

Even though I had a hysterectomy at age 22 and now a total of 8 surgeries; the power of the human spirit is amazing. It is my geniune belief that there is a purpose in everything and it's up to us to find that silver lining. One characteristic that I've noticed with many forum members, is that the notion of quiting or giving up when faced with difficult circumstances is not acceptable - we are fighters. When faced with adversity, we are able to summon the fortitude within us or those around us to carry on and continue. Isn't it reassuring to know that our trials can be an inspiration to others!

Have a blessed day!
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Laura, well-said and very inspirational! Much to be gleaned by your experience & wisdom...thx for sharing.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-06-2005, 02:56 AM

Hey Laura,

I'm glad you're here!

Take care, ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.