ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:46 AM

Default Seeker of ADR cervical surgeon contact info

Hello,
Can anyone in the group tell me which type of ADR devise had the best track record?
How can I find out how to reach the closest surgeon with the most experience in doing ADR for the cervical area?

Is there a list some where for members to find surgeons in S.E. Michigan?

Thank you for your assistance.
Spine issues with 2 cervical disk area being compressed, with bone spurs and stiff, popping and pain. Have already tried therapy, and injections and then offered the option of fusion -which I will not do. So, now looking for ADR information, and especially seeking contact information of surgeons that do the procedure any where near the S.E. part of Michigan.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysHelp View Post
Hello,
Can anyone in the group tell me which type of ADR devise had the best track record?
How can I find out how to reach the closest surgeon with the most experience in doing ADR for the cervical area?

Is there a list some where for members to find surgeons in S.E. Michigan?

Thank you for your assistance.
Welcome! If you need a two level cervical, mobi-c is the only two level FDA device approved in the states. I'm not sure how to find a qualified surgeon in your area. I just had a two level cervical ADR with the mobi-c last month. My surgeon is in WA.
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015
Old 02-27-2015, 07:33 PM

Welcome Mary, I cannot vouch for the quality of this surgeon and his work with ADR. All I know is that he performs it and is located in Michigan. Check out the link: Dr. Fernando Diaz | AIMIS Spine

I also am looking for surgeons who perform multi-level ADR. I think I have found a few, but I'm willing to travel.

Good luck!!

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 02-28-2015, 04:18 PM

MarysHelp, Welcome to the forum!!!

I am a newbie to this forum, too, but had a cervical fusion fifteen plus ago, that is making me wish that I had more information back then. Others that may know more about ADR's than I do, can provide you with that information. However, may I suggest that you consider the information that I wrote in posts at...

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f45...42/#post109517

and, for information on my surgeon, please go to...
http://wuphysicians.wustl.edu/physician2.aspx?physnum=794 and click on some of the buttons there, too.

I have had some troubles since my cervical fusion of then (1999) that I did not connect to the metal implant, but now see it has most probably been a BIG influence on my life. You may be lucky that this may not apply to you... but, if you happen to wind up in the small minority, it will affect your life.

I have recently (Feb 2015) been tested as being "Highly Reactive" to nickel by a metal-lymphocyte-transformation test done by Orthopedic Analysis lab in Chicago, IL, and reactive (allergic) by a patch test done by my local wise-dermatologist to chromium, nickel and cobalt metals, also.

A good deal earlier (circa 1981) I had had a fall and had to have some metal implants for bone fixation for some fractures. I had developed some symptoms back then, that dissipated with the removal of the metal fixation implants. I did not connect a certain symptom with that metal back then. But, see now that the metal of more recent time (1999) may well be the reason for some my multiple problems.

I am making arrangements to have this lastest metal removed. I wish that I had seen the connection and had the metal removed earlier. Such is life!

The BIG question for you... ADR or fusion???? Once your vertebra are fused, the metal can be taken out most likely, but the ADR metal would remain if you chose that avenue of treatment. Metal reactivity testing may be an assist to you to arrive at a good decision for you.

Wishing you and all, wellness!

Old Codger
79 year old, loves to be very active, but am hampered as time goes on. Partial Cervical Fusion in July 1999, C4&5, C5&6; 2 each-Surgicals for Spinal Stenosis to eliminate neuropathy in feet and lower legs-Sept 2002, no help; Neuropathy cont'd for fifteen years; Clue to neuropathy from past history and new found info of allergy to chromium, nickel and cobalt.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Hi, pls see:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f50...doctors-11140/

You can search within the page, too, using your browser ( control and f on keyboard) as you may know. This is a lengthy but not complete list.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-08-2015, 02:32 AM

Default 2-level ADR

Hi MarysHelp! If you're willing to travel in the US, Dr.Peterson with Austin Brain and Spine has been doing 2-level MobiC procedures for years, all through the clinical trial period. I am 2 weeks post-op, feel free to read about my experience under the surgical outcomes topic.
2012-14 Right arm/shoulder/neck pain and numbness, headaches, and nerve pain gradually becomes debilitating. Medications ineffective and PT impossible due to pain. Old MRI re-read, diagnosis of C4-6 herniations.
Jan 2015 2 epidural spinal injections ineffective.
Feb 2015 2-level ADR C4-6 with Mobi-C with DrPeterson in Austin (approved by BCBSTX)
May 2015 Microdiscectomy for herniated L4/5
Oct 2015 L4/5 ESI ineffective, microdiscectomy "redo"
Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 AM

I hope you are able to get your insurance to pay. It's surely a fight but don't give them the satisfaction of giving up. My insurance did pay for my multi-level and my surgeon is here in Colorado. Good luck!
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 PM

Do you have any advice on how to win the battle with the insurance company besides the usual....keep good records. Did you do anything special or let your doctor fight the battle? I saw an article on here for a case again Cigna. I'll use that but, will need more evidence to fight the "exerimental" reply that I'm sure I'll get. Thanks
2016 more RFAs, hit the 10 year mark of this insanity and pain, 3 level M6-C ADR with Dr. Clavel May 19, 2016
Old 03-12-2015, 11:19 AM

You need to go on the world wide web and find evidence-based practices that show that ADR is no longer experimental. Also, include articles showing that ADR recovery is quicker than fusion. That is what I included in my appeal and I won.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy
Old 03-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Cynlite, this is Mary's topic. Pls reply to the original person's topic when posting.

That said, you can use the search function (above), visit the Insurance Hell forum (hundreds of relevant topics), or see what I posted today in the Article Library:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f50...65/#post109689

Mary, what is the latest? How are you? Any news?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate