ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:02 AM

Thanks, Banhorn, for the PM. I just read through your journey. Congrats on he successful recovery!
Dec 2013 - MRI showed moderate DDD @ L5/S1 - modic type 1 endplate changes - remaining disks well preserved
Jun 2014 - became patient at Caleo clinic
Jan 2015 - first consult with surgeon
May 3, 2016 - L5/S1 - M6 - ADR in Canada (Calgary, Alberta)
Old 12-01-2015, 01:17 AM

Default Canada and MRIs

I just remembered an interesting experience re getting a requisition for an MRI. I had been seeing massage therapist, physic and chiro for several months with no relief. I found an awesome chiropractor in Calgary who performed a hybrid of active release and physio. Her and my regular physio gal simultaneously suggested that my back pain was something other than a pulled muscle.

My chiro offered to write me a referral to a private MRI which would cost me about $700 out of pocket. I decided to see if I could get a paid MRI via my GP. Not only did my GP (whom I have seen for 20 years) not see the need for an MRI, but she was offended at the idea of private MRIs and my chiro offering to give me a requisition. She also indicated that the wait list for a paid MRI, if approved, would be about 4 - 6 months.

Needless to say, at my next chiro visit I got my requisition for an MRI. 3 days later and $700 poorer I had my MRI and report in hand.

Welcome to the all Canadian "free" health care coverage.
Dec 2013 - MRI showed moderate DDD @ L5/S1 - modic type 1 endplate changes - remaining disks well preserved
Old 12-04-2015, 02:44 AM

Default Quality of Life

Jonsie13, I have been avoiding a 3 level lumbar fusion for sometime, years. When I read your post your statement;
"I find also that bring sedentary has given me a false sense of how much my back problems affect my life" , it really hit home. I think if I kept a log on how much each day that I was upright or laying on my bed, reclined on a foam wedge it would really be a few things, like depressing , probably shocking to realize how much over time my activity has lessened and quality of life has been drastically affected. I used to be very active , and still would be if not for my lumbar spine. It seems now my activity would parallel a quite elderly person. I had hoped for a 3 level ADR but was told there was too much curve in my spine for the ADR.
I hope your problem can be addressed successfully!!, if you could get a fusion at L5-SI and a ADR at L4-L5 (a hybrid procedure) go for it. Also lot of people on this site have gone to Europe with great success, also you can send your scans / med. records to several Drs. there for their opinion. I plan on doing this with Dr.Zeegers and of Dr. Clavel. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 12-05-2015, 01:43 AM

Hi beaverc:

Getting your head to the place where you are ready to take the leap to surgery is a process. You can't or shouldn't make that decision lightly. Having said that, since I am a good candidate for ADR I don't want to wait so long that I am no longer a candidate because I now have other problems or get conservative treatment that might cause scar tissue.

I friend of mine had a 2 level fusion in Canada about 2 months ago. She had been putting up with significant pain and was loosing feeling in her legs and getting incontinent. Her surgery was through the same spinal clinic that I go to. They got 2 other opinions and finally decided to use the Canadian surgeon she was initially referred to. She felt that she received exceptional care and that her surgeon had the necessary experience and knowledge. Her recovery has been amazing. Her pre-surgery problems were gone immediately and she is recovering nicely. If there are any second thought she wishes she would have opted for surgery earlier. You'll now if and when you are ready.

It's a process and everyone is different. I am amazed at the posts where once decided, surgery has to be NOW. While I have decided that surgery is my best option at getting active again and I am now on the surgery wait list, I can't say that I am in a great hurry. I know it's about an 8 month wait if I use the Canadian health care system. This gives me lots of time to come to terms with my decision and to get as fit as I possibly can. It is also allowing me to get a second opinion overseas, to do some research and to ask my Canadian surgeon questions.

In the meantime I deal with my pain, but if I am smart, the degeneration of my discs will not get significantly worse. Thankfully I think I have a pretty good pain tolerance and am able to cope pretty well without the use of narcotics. But that's another whole topic of conversation.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:46 PM

Smile Scheduled surgery in Canada

I just go off the phone with Dr. Bouchard's assistant. Surgery is scheduled for beginning of May I could have done the surgery a month earlier, but I would have had to return to Canada from California a month early. This means that I got into surgery 6 months after getting the surgery go ahead. Not really all that bad.

As far as the actual surgery is concerned, Dr. B is recommending the M6 but will have further discussion as we get closer to the surgery date. While the M6 is not yet approved in Canada, he has special permission to use it and with great success. From quizzing his assistant, Dr. B has been doing ADR since 2003. He has done well over 100 ADRs using the M6 alone.

The assistant did caution against going to Europe (Germany etc.) for the surgery as they have had several patients who have had significant complications requiring revisions. They have had incidences of patients receiving ADR surgery who apparently did not have sufficient bone density. Lack of follow up care from the original surgeon once back in your home country also seems to also be an issue.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesie13 View Post
Hi beaverc:

I am amazed at the posts where once decided, surgery has to be NOW. .
I decided just like that, when I realized I might not be able to make the flight....
Old 12-09-2015, 11:48 PM

Hi Romakis,

The flight has to be tough if you cannot sit for any length of time. Yikes! I don't envy that. How did the flight back go for you? Better than the flight over?

I have a 15 hour car trip ahead of me after the surgery, but we'll stay put for a week or so until I can manage to be in a stationary reclined position for that long. I am still a bit unsure of the surgery still ... even though I struggle with day to day functioning. Working at a desk all day does not help. At least I work from home
Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 AM

Been reading through the German spinal forum and, low and behold, they have all the same issues we have: what clinic to go to, whether to have a fusion vs. ADR, lack of communication with their doctor, etc etc. They seem less concerned with the type of device. Also, very interestingly I have read a few posts that say that they will generally not perform ADRs past age 45?!
Old 12-10-2015, 01:09 AM

If there is one piece of advice I have heard from a number of people, it is to get into the best physical shape you can prior yo surgery. For anyone having a fusion done, upper body ie arm strength is of particular importance.

Easier said than done but I will be doing yoga poses every other day and walking, walking, walking ...
Old 12-11-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesie13 View Post
Hi Romakis,

The flight has to be tough if you cannot sit for any length of time. Yikes! I don't envy that. How did the flight back go for you? Better than the flight over?
My flight back was even more fun!!! My scar opened up and I was bleeding like crazy https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...t=13198&page=2