ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Well said CDW...
The extensive testing that goes into FDA studies is agonizing.
I'm sure some palms are greased in the process but do you really think companies want to wait around for FDA approval with no return on profits?
They need to keep the stockholders happy and that means what are you doing for me now, not in 10 years...
I'm not saying the Prodisc is perfect, but why does a top European doc like Zeegers not use the M6 exclusively?
If in 10 years all the European implanted M6's start breaking down where do you go in the US for a redo?
OTH, i really like the Activ-L and i'm hoping the FDA approves it soon.
Anyone have any recent news on it?
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 PM

Speaking of turning a profit, I was informed today that I would be charged, in the US of A, $14,000 for one ProDisc....not including the installation. I am going to check on e-bay if I might not find a better price! All joking aside, do they cost that much to produce? I recall a recent NY Times article on the mark-up of medical devices, implants etc...I mean the outrageous mark-up! My doctors office told me that even though the cost is much lower than a fusion, insurance companies don't want to cover them...except for workers comp as they know the person will be back on the job sooner. Nice!
April 2011: 2 level laminotomy; L4/L4 & L5/S1
More PT, pain meds and injections.
...and 2014, still researching ADR.
February 2014: endoscopic foraminotomy, Dr Bitan
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Prodisc Bashing

Sorry CDW,

I have no skin in this game, as in, I have no gain, except a good outcome.

In Case you did NOT know, DePuy and Synthes, were bought by Johnson and Johnson, and they have EVERY right (even if I believe different) to defend their product, but there is evidence, to SHOW, that these FAIL, and sublime.

From what I have seen, the single LARGE keel is too much for the softer inner bone of the vertebra(Again, IMO).

SueEasy | Join ProDisc/synthes Emerging Class Action Lawsuit

Lumbar Disk Replacement Failures: Review of 29 Patients and Rationale for Revision | Orthopedics

pro-disc L replacement surgery - Topix

"The truth? First of all the Prodisc, like all artificial discs, does not respect normal range of motion. "
(direct quote from the article)

(Which the M6 does, if enough people mention this, then the FDA will approve, BTW, I have written my US Congressman on this issue, I believe the US has a RIGHT to see this and DECIDE for themselves, the 'natural' motion, is a BIG plus, The ball and socket, does, will and can cause facet joint damage, this is documented, again, does not mean all people would not benefit from the Charite, I have personal conversation, to the contrary.)
(The M6 was developed here in the USA)

( I have no interest in this, except a good outcome, I have personal replies that this is a good disc, and hope that the long term works well, btw, the charite, has been tolerated by the human body for 18yrs, longest I have been able to find, and hope the natural moving M6, will do the same.)

Looking for Prodisc C post op stories, successes, failures, anything...

There are TWO horror stories on this site.

In case you want to KNOW, I almost went there.

I 'almost' ...' Very Closely, had a Pro DIsc.

Do not accuse me of BASHING.

READ.

wow.

CDW, I hope you realize, that I am trying to help, I 'need' something, and I would be willing to have an M6, if the USA would allow a local doctor.

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Default Cost

For (harrison) also.

The cost of Minimal surgery, discectomy, is $23,000.

The cost of the disc itself, (research, tooling, testing, a lot of factors, not diminishing this one bit) is about 5 to 7 grand, you can look to a factor of 2 or 200%, about $15K on the low side, for one level, to about $21K per level, if there are more than one level, then if "MAY" cost less.

This is 'information' I (ME) have gathered, take this and do your "OWN" research.

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 PM

I was quoted $13,000 for the ProDisc itself and then of course the surgeon's charge on top of that. If you are doing a hybrid procedure, (fusion at one level + ADR at another), the cost of implanting the disc is incremental. Here was my point about the cost of the implant itelf. The word "hip" can be replaced with knee or other body part:

NY Times; Aug 3, 2013: In Need of a New Hip, but Priced Out of the U.S.

"Makers of artificial implants — the biggest single cost of most joint replacement surgeries — have proved particularly adept at commanding inflated prices, according to health economists. Multiple intermediaries then mark up the charges. While Mr. Shopenn was offered an implant in the United States for $13,000, many privately insured patients are billed two to nearly three times that amount.

An artificial hip, however, costs only about $350 to manufacture in the United States, according to Dr. Blair Rhode, an orthopedist and entrepreneur whose company is developing generic implants. In Asia, it costs about $150, though some quality control issues could arise there, he said."
April 2011: 2 level laminotomy; L4/L4 & L5/S1
More PT, pain meds and injections.
...and 2014, still researching ADR.
February 2014: endoscopic foraminotomy, Dr Bitan

Last edited by MikeC; 04-17-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-18-2014, 11:08 AM

Default Cost of implants

This is not to defend price gouging as we all know it happens but try and remember the many millions of dollars a company must spend to get an implant device through years of FDA testing.
Microdiscectomy at L5S1 at HSS - failed
Lost successful business, went on disability; more "conservative" treatments
At 3 years fed up and deciding upon ADR or Fusion
Scared and uncertain
Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Richie, I am moving this to the new member section. When you can, pls see this topic about your signature:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/

After your surgery, you can start a new post in the post-op section, OK?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 PM

Default L5-S1 Pro disc Journey stars

OK its Monday, I just landed in Texas. To go to TBI for my new disc. I have to have a disco gram done Tuesday. I had to reach out to the Fire dept here for some help I did not know I would need to be driven 30 min away for this and that I would not be able to drive. Big thanks to the Plano Fire dept for helping out with this. well I will try and get some sleep and I will keep updating as I can. Richie ATL Fire and Rescue.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Default Adr

Good luck bro!!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:35 PM

Keep us posted buddy! Good luck.

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"