ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 AM

Default New Member

I found this website by accident but it has given me a new outlook on the whole procedure. I am scheduled for L5 S1 ADR, very nervous but SO tired of asking for help around the house. I work at a desk job in a prison so I am curious about my recovery time. I have had all the typical non-surgical stuff but nothing has relieved the pain. I am still mobile but not in shape, it's tough when you can't walk very far or exercise.

I have 7 weeks of paid leave I can use. My doc says 6 weeks for this procedure instead of 3 months for the fusion...I am just not sure.

Thank you to all of you that posted and the admistrator for putting together all this help!

Dale
Old 09-03-2009, 11:33 AM

Default Back to work

Dale,

I also spend a lot of time sitting at work, although I can stand for long periods and still get my job done if I need to (height adjustable desks). I was back to work day 22, but I was nowhere near comfortable. Because of this, I worked 2-3 hrs. every day for that week, and then I took the next week off b/c I had planned on being on vacation anyway. In week 6, I was able to work full time, but only if I briskly walked 10 mins or more every 90 mins or so. I have treadmills convenient to my office, but just walking around anywhere would do.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think 6 weeks off would have been preferable. I had the option, just too stubborn to take it. With the 6 wks off, I would have concentrated on walking and gently stretching, and I think I would have been better prepared to return to work.

The leg cramping eased up considerably in weeks 8 and 9, but I still had some calf aching, probably neuropathic or distraction pain, for about 6 months. It was just more tolerable after week 9. It's just now starting to ease up.

Hope this helps.

-tc-
PT, ESI, SI jt injections, 3-level nerve root inj. x 2
Massage, heat, ice, TENS, etc
L5-S1 Charite Jan. 19th, 2009, very happy w/decision
New back pain in upper back though.

Last edited by 2cool4U; 09-03-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Just can't remember to proofread; don't tell my kids.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Thank you so much. The information was just what I was looking for. The wife had another question after she read your reply...How long were you out of the hospital before you didn't need help out of bed, bathroom ect?

Again thank you
Dale
Old 09-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Default Activities

I can only give you my experience here. I was discharged on Thursday morning after surgery on Monday morning. We had a 3 hr. drive home which bothered me quite a bit b/c of bumpy roads. However, on that day I was able to stop for lunch, walk in and out of a restaurant and to the bathroom without help. Stepping out of a tall SUV required my wife's assistance. I found that holding the incision site with one hand facilitated movement w/o pain. They also gave me an abdominal binder to wear when walking around. No driving for 2 weeks, but I was out and about riding in the car for brief lunches from Sunday on. No sudden movements or you feel incision pain. Watch the diet and get plenty of fiber, as well.

On Fri, I was able to take 5 short walks on a treadmill totaling about 1 mile (or 0.2 miles x 5.) On Sat., I took 7-8 walks totaling 3 miles. Over the next week, I was able to walk 3-4 miles per day. Bathroom assistance wasn't needed. Showering was a bit awkward b/c you need to keep the incision dry, but I rigged up a temporary cover with tape and plastic wrap. Not completely waterproof, but it worked.

There are many different possible post-op experiences, and I would encourage you to read the surgical outcome stories here for the experiences of others. Hope this helps, and good luck.

-tc-
PT, ESI, SI jt injections, 3-level nerve root inj. x 2
Massage, heat, ice, TENS, etc
L5-S1 Charite Jan. 19th, 2009, very happy w/decision
New back pain in upper back though.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Smile No matter what spine treatment: ADR or Fusion

Dale,

Some recoveries may not be "linear" in terms of how patients recover. E.g., some of my post-op months were great in terms of sitting tolerance. But in other months (umm, maybe 4 or 5?) I had problems sitting for more than 20 minutes.

All 'n all, that's the paradox: you'll see similar patterns among patients, but everyone seems to take different times healing. Some have speedy recoveries, others long; some people never, unfortunatlely.

Please review the "risks and complications" topic in the the Arthroplasty Central forum. Also, the new video I produced for new patients considering ADR in this community discusses this critical stuff in great detail.

I hope we can help!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate