ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Well the latest news is that I had a one hour consultation with Dr Clavel by Skype 2 weeks ago. He is very confident that he can perform the 2 level ADR without any issues. My only issue is coming up with the 40k! I have not reached out to Dr Bierstedt lately as my main contact there is Malte and he was traveling out of country. My mind is fairly made up but I suppose I should compare both options. The after care with Dr Bierstedt seems more complete as you are in a hotel connected to the physical therapy office. Have you made a decision yet? It is not easy.
Dr. Clavel has the PT person visit you in your hotel. She comes to you!
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
I'm reading this thread and I just heard from Mr. Dare He has the same surgical opinion as Dr. Bierstedt. I still need to receive the costs of surgery from Mr Dare. I should learn about this tomorrow (Thursday, March 7th). In my communications with both surgeons, Mr. Dare seems to be easygoing, almost a little too much so. However, I don't have all the details as of yet. I like the fact that Dr. Bierstedt wants me to go for 5 days of therapy after the hospital release, since one of my ADR's would be on a level directly below a fusion. I welcome any thoughts, especially from anyone whose used Mr. Dare.
You should pm Vicki_in_Florida. She had a two level with Dr. Dare.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillyth View Post
Dr. Clavel has the PT person visit you in your hotel. She comes to you!
Wow, room service.....that is even better! I have been drinking lots of Spanish wines lately...is that some sort of subliminal message to myself? I must be getting in the right frame of mind. Actually , wine is not allowed for at least one week after surgery I would think. Ok I know this is not a very constructive post, I apologize!
April 2011: 2 level laminotomy; L4/L4 & L5/S1
More PT, pain meds and injections.
...and 2014, still researching ADR.
February 2014: endoscopic foraminotomy, Dr Bitan
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 PM

Default Adr

So mike what's up next for you?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
So mike what's up next for you?
Saving up the 32,000 Euros I need for the procedure. My wife already sold all of my daughter's Beanie Babies, at ( at a loss mind you), so it is perhaps a home equity loan or some cash using a credit card. Remember when you could borrow $25,000 without interest for 12 months on a Citibank MasterCard ? If only the EuroDocs took credit cards, I might be on a plane sooner than later. I know that there might be some well qualified American surgeons, but I doubt that my insurance covers a 2 level ADR in the USA. More to come, in the meantime, I have some very good Spanish wine recommendations. Cheers.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 AM

Default Adr

I hear ya man hang in there let me know what's up
Old 03-07-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer78 View Post
Yea def follow up with bierstedt. Tell malte u have specific questions for the dr. I really like bierstedt and am getting tired of clavels office losing paperwork keeping me waiting for almost 2 weeks now! I've come to terms with the fact that I'm gonna have to do this but want as many opinions as possible. What did malte tell you exactly??
Last post for the evening. I realize that I never reponded to your question. Malte called me from Skype during a trip to South America which I thought showed dedication. I think that he was traveling with another physician from the same group as Dr Bierstedt. I do owe him a call. It is hard to find the quiet time to focus but I will make the time. I have focused on dealing with Dr Clavel as there is much more info about him and many glowing reviews. I have not experienced the issues with lost paperwork though. Let's all pray that Lilly sends us some great news from Barcelona in a few weeks. All for now; we are getting another storm here in the northeast!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 AM

Default Adr

Thx mike I'm in NY and storms suck lol. Il let u know what else I find from clavel
Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Saving up the 32,000 Euros I need for the procedure. My wife already sold all of my daughter's Beanie Babies, at ( at a loss mind you), so it is perhaps a home equity loan or some cash using a credit card. Remember when you could borrow $25,000 without interest for 12 months on a Citibank MasterCard ? If only the EuroDocs took credit cards, I might be on a plane sooner than later. I know that there might be some well qualified American surgeons, but I doubt that my insurance covers a 2 level ADR in the USA. More to come, in the meantime, I have some very good Spanish wine recommendations. Cheers.
You might want to look into gofundme.com - it's a website that helps you raise money for various things. I raised over $14,000 to help towards my surgical cost and it made all the difference. You'll be amazed by how much people want to help.

-Jeff
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM

Default Regarding interest free loan on Citibank Mastercard

Quote:
Boxer, I am doing that. In my case, I'm only taking out a $14,000 interest free loan on my Citibank American Express. I don't have to pay it back until Feb, 2014 without acquiring any interest. They treat it as a balance transfer (even though they deposited the finds into my checking account) and a 3% processing fee applies. I suggest you call Citibank, explain your situation and see what they can do for you. I have other funds to finance the remaining cost my surgery, so I only took $14,000. BTW, the offer applies to any Citibank card. It doesn't matter if it's Mastercard or American Express.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C