ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Default Lumbar L5-S1 Pro disc

Ok here I go, my Journey starts May 12,2014 at TBI, I have been approved for ADR surgery to have my L5 S1 replaced with a pro disc. I am a Fireman and I hope this will work for me as I love my job, I work for a large southeast city. My story goes like this Two years ago I suffered an injury on the job were I ruptured L5 S1 and occluded my S1 nerve this caused some atrophy in my left calf. I felt great after a discectomy for about two months then all the numbness and tingling came back, after some screaming to have another MRI, they found the disc was now bulging on to the nerve again. they said I could just leave it or they could go back and do another discectomy.

OK I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I started to do some research on this matter and found this place, and what great place. so I did a lot of research on the guy's in Germany. I was hooked I wanted to go out there but I could not fund the surgery. nor would workers comp. So I got on the phone and I tried to get on any type of trial study. but that did not pan out. I went and saw some other Doc's with my own money and the first one said fusion, and the second said discectomy. Then I found someone talking about TBI. I called a few weeks ago and sent the my film's. I made an appointment and flew out. They were super nice. they say I will be able to have a ADR installed.

So why my post? I just want to post what is going on with me so if any one else is in a similar situation they might be able to get some info. also if anyone has any suggestion/advise that might help me they can post here. well to all Thank you in advance for your advise and have a great Day. Richie

Last edited by Harrison; 04-23-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Title viewing ease
Old 04-13-2014, 03:21 PM

Hey Bloodhound,
Welcome to the forum, sorry for the circumstances that you needed to find it.
I've heard a lot of good things about TBI, you'll be in good hands. I admire your quick decision making process!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:35 PM

Default Adr

Sorry to see you here, but welcome.

Like most, we found this place out of expediency.

Cut to the chase, I have read horror stories with the ProDisc, I am not telling you to NOT have this done, but would consider going elsewhere and get the M6.

The Charite and Prodisc are ball and socket, do not have any shock absorption capability, and do not have the 6 degrees of motion that the M6 has.

M6-L Artificial Lumbar Disc | Spinal Kinetics

You can search this type of implant and there are several, I chose mine, but not telling you where to go, send IM, if more information is needed.

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 PM

Default Adr

Welcome aboard man! Did u recovery from your atrophy in the meantime? TBI has a great reputation I'm sure u will do great
Old 04-13-2014, 09:58 PM

Hi Ritchie, read my thread....best of luck, feel free to pm if u have any questions.

Dean
Massage, chiro
4 shots, no relief
Ct, 3mri's
all activities stopped, day by day
DDD @ L5 S1
Examined by 3 surgeons,
Consulted with 2 out of country surg, all reco ADR
Surgery Oct. 26, 2012 by Dr. Bouchard, Pro Disc L
Old 04-14-2014, 05:20 AM

Default jerry5

Hey Jerry sorry your here with back problems. I would love to go to Germany to get fixed but I cant afford it and I need to get on with my life. my wife and I feel this is the best choice. Fusion or do nothing or ADR. yes the M-6 sounds great but I cant get my insurance to pay for it so for my life style we think TBI is the way to go. Any input is always welcome I will post things as this is a great resource for people to go and get help in making choices. Rithie
Old 04-14-2014, 06:07 PM

Welcome!
Like Canadian Dean, I too have the Prodisc L (l4-5). I've posted my journey (not over yet) in this section. I'm 10 month's out, had pretty severe nerve root compression, lots of bone cut away during surgery and I probably lived in pain for 5 years too long. Having said that, things are going remarkably well right now. I can't load my spine with too much weight yet (probably never will), but the daily pain of sciatica, numbness and burning in my feet/calf, is almost gone! My implant was installed by a highly skilled surgeon who has completed many of these surgeries. I was lucky enough to find a friend near me, professional athlete, who had a Prodisc installed 5 years ago. He talked me through alot of the options, and frankly, alot of the bad times. Even though I am far from perfect, far from pain free, I'm thankful I've had the surgery.
I'm always available for providing an ear, it's my "pay it forward" for the help my new friend gave to me.
Mike

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"
Old 04-15-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Pro Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrigail View Post
Welcome!
Like Canadian Dean, I too have the Prodisc L (l4-5). I've posted my journey (not over yet) in this section. I'm 10 month's out, had pretty severe nerve root compression, lots of bone cut away during surgery and I probably lived in pain for 5 years too long. Having said that, things are going remarkably well right now. I can't load my spine with too much weight yet (probably never will), but the daily pain of sciatica, numbness and burning in my feet/calf, is almost gone! My implant was installed by a highly skilled surgeon who has completed many of these surgeries. I was lucky enough to find a friend near me, professional athlete, who had a Prodisc installed 5 years ago. He talked me through alot of the options, and frankly, alot of the bad times. Even though I am far from perfect, far from pain free, I'm thankful I've had the surgery.
I'm always available for providing an ear, it's my "pay it forward" for the help my new friend gave to me.
Mike

Wow, those are exactly my symptoms...numb feet and burning. Can you say who was your surgeon? Sorry if you have already indicated the name in previous posts.
April 2011: 2 level laminotomy; L4/L4 & L5/S1
More PT, pain meds and injections.
...and 2014, still researching ADR.
February 2014: endoscopic foraminotomy, Dr Bitan

Last edited by MikeC; 04-15-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-15-2014, 07:40 PM

Default ADR Germany

Hello Blood hound,

I too am fighting the insurance, but you can go the international route, IM me and I can give more information.

All the best,

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 AM

Default Jerry 5 stop with the Prodisc bashing

You and the rest of the M6 disciples cause those of us who would prefer to stay stateside for ADR surgery tremendous anxiety. When I began doing some real digging on the ProDisc surgeries here, (as I too am strongly considering TBI for surgery) I discovered that the vast majority of Prodisc patients who went to the the truly experienced US surgeons were doing quite well. The so called "horror stories" you refer to have often been done by surgeons with little experience implanting the device.
Unlike the Prodisc, the M6 has been subjected to absolutely no extensive trials or testing. Just because it looks advanced does not mean it is superior. We have zero access to data of M6 failures outside of this board as there is no official or objective clearing house for this device. If you think that Spinal Kinetics is going to fess up to problems of failures, forget it. They are in business to make money. As far as an honest response from the European surgeons implanting the devices goes, that completely depends upon their level of ethics as they do not have to worry about being sued by any out of country patients. Dr. Clavel's declaration of 100% success is an appalling lie as that rate of success is impossible.
With all this said, I wish all of the M6 recipients on this board nothing but the best. We are all supposed to be here to support one another and not judge.
Microdiscectomy at L5S1 at HSS - failed
Lost successful business, went on disability; more "conservative" treatments
At 3 years fed up and deciding upon ADR or Fusion
Scared and uncertain