ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:53 PM

If you haven't already, you might want to head over here:

How to read a MRI

it might help you be able to read your MRI films, presuming that you have them.

David
Old 09-02-2005, 02:02 PM

I have a couple more concerns that I hope you all can help with...

I found out yesterday that my comp. carrier is going to dispute my case again (never ending battle). Therefore, I don't expect additional treatment any time soon. Which leads to my first ?:
1) What are the consequences of having to wait for ADR or fusion? Could my disc height decrease to the point that ADR would not be possible? I've also been experiencing tingling in my left foot only. That's been constant for months now. It's not painful but more of an annoyance. Should I be concerned that it could turn into irreversable nerve damage?

2) Is a discogram necessary prior to ADR? It was never suggested that I have one.

3) Is there any risk to your kidneys w/ADR surgery?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:27 PM

kk -- I think almost everyone gets a discogram prior to ADR -- it provides a roadmap for surgery.

The more I read and chat back and forth with you, the more I am concerned -- you shouldn't be confused about what you have. Get into Dr. Bajwa -- he is smart, easy to talk to, and compassionate. Considering he is so close, it would be a shame not to.

No kidney risk that I've ever heard of, but I'm not an expert there. SG
Old 09-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Each body reacts differently to nerve compression, pain, limited disc space, etc... I too had nerve damage due to compression prior to my ADR. My surgeon requested an EMG to check the extent of the nerve damage prior to sugery. I spent about 10 months with my right leg constantly numb, cramping, throbbing and more. Upon awakening in the recovery room my irritated right leg felt completely normal again. My MRIs and X-rays were so clear that I didn't need a discogram, but if there is any confussion it would be a good idea. As with any surgery there are risks, but kidney damage was not one of the major concerns shared with me. If you need assistance appealing your case, Charite has a wonderful guide to the appeals process. Check out the topic that I posted. I used this format when I appealed to the State of California Workers' Compensation Board.

Be diligent,

Crystal
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 09-02-2005, 02:39 PM

My guess was that my MRI provided enough detail that a discogram has not been necessary. The rest of my disc spaces are healthy so I guess there was no question.

luvmysibe - I will definitely check out your appeal. They have put me through the ringer for so long, it's time for them to be on the receiving end.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Banned

opp's sared my computer with Marria last night she is here for the So-Cal gathering and forgot to log in myself.

Paulette
Old 09-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Lets try this again:
Kk,

Welcome to the forum again and glad to see you getting so much help or at least having a chance to talk out some of your concerns.

After 9 doctors opinions, I was never asked to have a discogram. It was very obvious that my L5-S1 disc was totaled. However the disc above looked really good and healthy. All agreed on that. I had an EEG for on my nerves

I had leg pain and stenosis, nerve impingement. I was told the longer I wait the more chances of permanent nerve damage to the nerves. Also because I was so collapsed I was told that waiting too long could make it so I was not considered a good ADR candidate anymore. I waited 10 months from my accident, and feel the nerve pain in my leg is so much better from the decompression provided to my spine with ADR. It takes nerves awhile to regenerate and I am hopeful that I will have saved my nerve by not waiting so long.

I agree that you should get a second opinion and maybe a few more if you can. Good luck with your insurance give it to them!
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 09-06-2005, 03:44 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. It's really getting easier chatting w/everyone.

The one thing I'm quite sure of is getting a few opinions under my belt. I want to make the best decision possible. And SenecaGirl - I'm going to ask my chiro to set up a consult w/Dr. B.
I will have plenty of time I'm sure for all this while I'm batttling the comp. carrier. In the meantime, I'm looking to get set up with some water therapy (from the good things I've read on this site).
Old 09-06-2005, 04:11 PM

Regarding the disc level, and which is it. Your very bottom disc should be between the vertebraes L5 and S1. Is the disc they are referring to the very last or bottom disc in your spine?

If this is the case, this would again be the best area (if there is a best, opinions vary) to have a fusion. There are no discs below it to add pressure on and the flexibility there is less than other areas, from my understanding. Most insurance companies are still denying ADR, although that doesn't mean they won't start approving it any day now. Fusion should be fully covered by any insurance.

This is the part of the decision that we all agonize over, to wait for insurance to pay or to have doctors become more experienced, to take fusion now? Is fusion ever good? I would jump on the same bandwagon a few others are on and say get multiple opinions from doctors who you know are experienced with both surgeries before you make a decision.

My doctor is Dr. Bitan, in NYC, he was involved in the charite trials over here and had some experience in Paris before coming to the states. He was the one who gave me the diagnosis that made the most sense to me. I saw three different reputable doctors back to back before I made a decision. Just another avenue for you to explore!

Good Luck!

Feeling great!
Old 09-07-2005, 08:13 AM

Juli - yes, L5S1 is the very last disc I have. I have heard from a couple people that that spot would be the best place for a fusion and I completely understand that. But at this point, my plan is to just get a few opinions and go from there.