ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:03 AM

has anyone here had to deal with worker comp??i did hurt my back at work, but after 2 months the insurance dr said there was nothing wrong with me...my own drs said there is something wrong..plus being out of work for 2 months , i did try to go back half days on light duty...
well when i went back my boss treated me like an outcast...i was treated very badly...they wanted me to lose my temper so i would quit...as before i hurt my back i was offered a promotion..there is something wrong when the american worker is treated so bad... any thoughs???
peter
Old 12-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Peter, save all your energy to fight the "system" smartly and legally! There may be many things already in your favor.

Last year, I found out that if I had injured myself at work, workers comp would have paid for my ADR procedure. But I fell in my driveway, so I paid for it out of pocket.

If you haven't already found a good lawyer, there are several ways to do so. You can call the Mass Bar Association for a referral, or there are several legal professionals on this forum that may be able to guide you as well.

It's bad enough losing your job because of a serious back problem, your "colleagues" disrespect is unfortunate and ignorant! Hang tough buddie, you are already on the road to wellness...

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-01-2004, 01:56 PM

Harrison has pointed you in the right direction. Look for a WC atty in your area. Ask friends or family if they know of one that is reputable, call your local referal service. You have rights, and each state is different so I really can't comment on what rights you have as a injured worker in Mass. I only practice in DE and MD.

Again, the big thing is to get lawyer, protect your rights and any possible statute of limitation problems. You didn't mention how long ago you injured your back so that is first thing you should do is make sure your claim is still open.

Take care and good luck.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:20 PM

thanx you guys for your help,, i did get a lawyer
right after worker comp shut me off...i do have a date with a judge in boston with the dept of industrial accidents at the end of dec.it was strange ,they stoped paying my wages but kept paying for my medical bills for 7 months more...
lucky that i do have my own medical insureance too....just wondering if anybody went though the same thing... peter
Old 12-01-2004, 07:43 PM

Unfort. its the life of a worker's comp. case. They will stop paying any chance they have and hope you give up and go away. Its unfort. but the way it tends to go.

Good luck with your hearing.

Old 12-02-2004, 12:41 AM

I was a work comp case in Indiana when I injured my back the last time. It was terrible the way one is treated. Keep Kool and do what your legal team tells you to do. Thats best. Even though my case occurred in a different state - I feel I can defintley sympathize with what you are going through. I don't understand why work comp seems to treat their patients like this other than for $$$ reasons. It is suppose to be a system in place to help people like us - but they seem to fight us at our weakest moments!

Hang in there!
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:11 AM
Banned

I was injured on the job in CA. in '82. I disliked filing a WC claim, and further disliked all that I went thru with the whole thing tho I had a good lawyer, was tenacious (stuck it out) and jumped thru all the necessary hoops time after time.
You need to keep a good record of everything you do or say related to this case. While the lawyer is going to be immensely helpful, you can help yourself alot by keeping good records of any communication done with anyone in regard to your case/care.
Realize that the insurance company is going to try and "lose you" or create an unpleasant experience for you so that you will want to either throw up your hat in resignation and say forget it or settle for the first offer made monetarily.
Try to hang in there with stall tactics, not to lose your temper without being able to come thru it with some clarity and just hang in there.

I was fortunate, won my case, got future medical benefits, got grad school paid for (voc rehab expenses) and got a very small monetary sum tho I didn't care about that as much as the future medical benefits which are there for a lifetime).

So while it is really not easy to endure the WC system, hopefully this will all work out in your favor! Good luck!