ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:10 PM

The neurosurgeon that I first saw in Asheville suggested I donate my own blood due to the massive amount of blood lost during the surgery.

Today during a conversation with Dr. Finger's office, my choice of surgeons who has experience with Charite, his assistant said that is not something they do at their facility. I just wonder if anyone would comment on their experience. Did anyone donate their own blood prior to procedure just in case it was needed? Thanks, Kim
Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 AM

I did bank my own blood prior to my ADR surgery at my doctor's request, but none of it was used in my case.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:22 AM

Kim,

My surgeon�s office recommended that I donate blood so I looked into having it shipped to LA it was going to cost over $300 for 1 unit and $600 for 2 and my insurance company would not cover the cost for shipping or banking blood only if I need blood from the bank would they cover blood.

So I decided I have done riskier things in my life and didn�t bank blood and didn�t need it. How many levels are you getting? Any more then one is a very big surgery and the risk goes up.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 10-04-2005, 05:06 AM

Hi Kim,
well I didn't take blood with me to the Alphaklinik, obviously your own blood is better than donated blood.

It depends how the surgery goes I only lost 100ml during my surgery, so it didn't matter in my case. Some people do need a transfusion it just is an unknown how the surgery will go.

It should not be usual that a lot of blood is lost during ADR but it's always a risk
best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-04-2005, 06:42 PM

Kim,

I have my surgery scheduled for Dec 2 and I have been
asked to donate 2 units of blood and was also asked to get my pre-op physicals done.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:50 PM

Kim,

During my pre-op visits the surgeons, the nurses, and I discussed my options for blood donation prior to my surgery. It was agreed that the risk for serious blood loss was minimal and that it would be very unlikely that I would need any blood. I have had 8 abdominal surgeries and have needed blood only once. If you are able to set your own aside convieniently then do so; however, don't stress if it is a major hassle. It is better to be healthy, strong, and relaxed prior to your surgery than stressed with an extra unit of blood in the blood bank.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."