ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:54 PM

Hi Everyone,

Am new "member" to the Forum but not new to the topic.
Need help in finding out what Disc to go for. Had a previous Laminectomy/Discectomy L4/L5/S1 8 yrs ago.
Recently involved in a MVA (May 05). Has deteriorated since. Live in Toronto/Canada. Have found 2 docs who would perform the surgery.
1 uses ONLY Maverick. The other one Pro-Disc.
Any difference? Can anyone guide me on this?

Thks
Old 11-10-2005, 03:42 PM

Hi Rosie,

Welcome to the group, I am no expert just a proud ProDisc owner and very happy with my new life.

The big difference is the maverick is metal on metal and the ProDisc is metal on plastic. Some would argue that all medal is not good for your system but the info on that is not fully known.

The maverick keel was redesigned the original was too big and had split some vertebra. Personally I like the success that has come with the ProDisc this is a difficult decision and others here may be able to fill you in more.

Welcome and keep us posted on your progress towards a pain free life.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 11-10-2005, 03:53 PM

Hi Rosie,
well I think Pauletteski has covered the ground quite admirably. Both the maverick and the pro disc have keels, the pro disc has a plastic disc between the plates and the maverick does not but is metal to metal. At this juncture in time, there really has been nothing to choose between the two. We have a surgeon in the UK who uses the maverick more frequently when people have what is called retrolythesis.
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 11-10-2005, 05:24 PM

Thks. It's a tough decision since the doc using Maverick has done 22 (10 - 2 levels) compare to the doc using Pro-disc who has done 75 (35 - 2 levels).

Rosie
Old 11-10-2005, 09:26 PM

Hi Rosie,

Have you asked each surgeon why s/he has chosen the implant s/he prefers? There might be good info there.

Beyond that, I can only offer my own experience (as a minority cervie, sorry ). I researched several discs, and was accepted by surgeons who used the Bryan, the Prestige and the Prodisc-C. The implants themselves all have their potential/known pro's and con's; I couldn't decide based on available implants alone.

The surgeons, however, were much easier to differentiate! All were good within their realms of experience, but one stood out as best for me in my individual situation. Perhaps that's a significant consideration for you, too?

With regard to cases similar to yours, does one surgeon have more experience than the other? With regard to cases similar to yours, what does each surgeon have to say about patient outcomes? Can you talk to their post-op patients (who had cases similar to yours)?

If the implants themselves don't sway you, then given all of your rationality and intuition combined, do you trust one surgeon more than the other?

Hoping this helps rather than adding more confusion to your plate.

Best wishes for you,
-j
Old 11-11-2005, 11:57 AM

Thks Jennifer,

The surgeon using Maverick has done extensive research on Knee/Hip repl. His opinion is there could be a level of toxicity with other brands for ADR. Maverick being Metal on Metal should pose no risks.
Actually, my case is L5/S1 fusion and L4/L5 ADR.
Have not talked to any patients because of Privacy law. They would not disclose the names.
Since I have 2 Surgeons, I am more confused!!!

Rosie
Old 11-11-2005, 01:33 PM

Hi Rosie,

The more you talk the more confused you can and will get. I had 9 opinions on my case and each doctors is well entrenched into there camp of disc manufacturer.

For me it came down to what I truly felt was the best decision for my body and my life. I will share with you that I ultimately and finally gave it all to God. My pastor said to me �Put all those Doctors names into a hat PRAY, FAST and DRAW� At first I did not understand what he met but now I do.

Give it to God and when you make the right decision everything will fall into place and you will know you are doing the right thing.

God Bless
Old 11-11-2005, 02:38 PM

Hi Paulette,

Thank you for your adv. This is what I am "trying" to do.
Every morning I wake up with this Mantra:
"If God brings you to it, HE'll bring you through it".
Deep down I know I am lucky at least the fees will be paid for!!! The FINANCIAL burden is over.

Mark has been a great help with Dr. Bertagnoli's opinion..

Rosie
Old 11-11-2005, 10:37 PM

Rosie,

I think we are very much a like and I sure could not have done this without God or Mark.

Take your time, if you can, sit on a decision pray about it and if it fells right then you know you have done your home work and the rest is up to God.

You can PM me anytime. I will keep you in my prayers.

God Bless