ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:49 PM

Does anyone have any information on any current or upcoming studies that are looking for potential participants? I just found out that my healthcare provider does not even cover one level ADR. I need two.

If anyones knows of any, I would greatly appreciate the information. I am one of those individuals (like many of us) that makes too much money for government assistance, but not enough to actually pay for the surgery without mortgaging my home. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:59 PM

The only study I have heard about is the possible ActivL vs the ProDisc and it may start in March and will be for 2 levels. This was info from a member that saw Dr Yue a few weeks ago.

My suggestion is to call some of the big spine institutes like TBI or the Spine Institute in Santa Monica and see what you can find out and let us know what you come up with.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 10-23-2005, 02:14 AM

Are there actually studies that pay for everything? I am in Flexicore's clinical trial and had to sign papers that if my insurance would not pay, that I would be responsible for all costs EXCEPT for the actual charge for the disc itself. That was $11,500; so that definetely would have helped. I had always thought before that clinical trials paid all of the participant's costs. I would love to find a trial that would pay all or most of the costs. I don't think my insurance company will go for it if I need another surgery. If I need / want the second ADR, I will most likely be on my own. I have heard some say some doctors will agree to a price reduction if your insurance won't pay or at least agree to accept what they would from the insurance. In my case, there was a 26% difference (about $10,000) between what was billed and what the insurance actually paid. I don't know if this amount of reduction would make it affordable for you WD - but it's worth looking into. If the manufacturer covers the cost of the disc and you can convince the doctor and hospital to accept the reduction, it could be a $18,000 savings. And that was for one level ADR in my case. Good luck. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:12 AM
Banned

I believe that in an effort to speed the study/approval process, Spinal Motion is paying uncovered costs for procedures done inside the study. I do not know the status, or if slots are available.

Mark
Old 10-23-2005, 04:19 PM

I am in the continuation study for the ProDisc. My insurance was billed and what they don�t cover was going to be picked up by the study.

My insurance agreed to pay for the surgery but not the disc. Low and behold the bill was paid in full 100% the doctors fee and the fee for the disc. I don�t know what to believe anymore I am just so thankful that I did not listen to my insurance and moved forward with the surgery that I believed was best for my body and my life. I am very blessed.

I the end it is you and your body and you only get one body so do what is best for your body and your life. Do what you can not to let insurance issues cloud your decision.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:25 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I have sent my films/records off to Dr. Delamarter for review and spoke to the Texas Back Institute. They stated that they will cover the cost of the discs, but not the surgery. They said that the hospital works out a payment plan, but it would be 20k. I would have to mortgage my house, but it may be worth it. I will check with Spinal Motion to see if they are still taking participants. Thank you all for your responses.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:27 PM

wdling

Glad to hear you are making progress. Before you mortgage your house you may want to look into a line of credit on your house. Depending on the amount of equity you may have in your house you can take out a lone and just pay for what you need. I did this to cover my expenses while out of work. If you have any questions you can PM me.