ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:45 PM

Hey everyone! I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. This is a wonderful site for someone like me who's got a decision to make.

In '97 I hurt my back at work and after 3 years of hearing that it's "just muscle problems", an MRI showed a lg. herniation at L4/L5. Had a laminectomy in 2002 which worked great up until late last year. Just a gradual progression I believe. A new x-ray and MRI shows DDD, severe endplate osteitis (?), and spondylosis. In my first visit to a NS, I was given the option of do nothing, fusion, or ADR.
So here I am trying to soak up as much info as I can so that I can make a good decision!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

kk, Welcome to the forum!

how severe is the spondy? grade I, II, III IV? or do they refer to the size of the slip in mm or percentage?

Mark
Old 08-31-2005, 03:23 PM

Honestly, there was no indication on the MRI report referring to grade. I will have to inquire about that one. It was actually fairly vague. I know that my disc space was minimal at the time and lately I've been feeling some "grinding" in that area. But that just happens on occasion.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:22 PM

Greetings kk,

You found the right site to gather plenty of information including supportive and caring people in situations similar to yours. I too was given 3 options: do nothing, fusion, or ADR. I selected the Charite ADR and am thrilled with my results so far. Keep us posted on your venture.

Crystal
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 08-31-2005, 08:50 PM

Crystal,
Who is your insurance co and did they pay?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:40 AM

Mark, here is what my MRI indicates (I could use some help understanding it as well):
Discogenic disease, spondylosis, and a diffuse posterior disc bulge at L5/S1. Moderate to severe degree of endplate osteitis secondary to chronic discovertebral trauma. Postsurgical changes are indentified as L5/S1. No epidural fibrosis, no residual or recurrent HNP. Remaining disc spaces of the lumbosacral spine are otherwise unremarkable.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:08 AM

kk -- I responded to your message.

I don't think I can give you any help on your question above -- my deal was pretty cut and dry. There was no question but for me to have ADR. After reading your post, I would go to Dr. Bajwa for a 2nd opinion -- since he is so close to your area and has done many ADR surgeries.

He is really good at taking the difficult terminology easy to understand.

Let me know if you have further questions.

BTW -- I'm in Hector (north of Watkins Glen)!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:21 AM

SG - How did you become so sure about the ADR? Was it medical or that fusion was the alternative? Although I'm leaning towards ADR, I'm still not sure.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:32 AM

kk -- I didn't even think of fusion -- and that was before ADR was approved. Dr. Bajwa had me wait for ADR (6 months). I really put a lot of trust into Dr. B and he guided me the whole way. I also work for J&J, (the company that owns Charite), and knew it to be a safe and effective solution to my problem. I had the surgery b/c I am too young to keep with these problems for the rest of my life. Keep emailing me, and we can go from there...
Old 09-01-2005, 12:15 PM

For me, I have chosen ADR over fusion for several reasons:

1. Range of movement: A two level fusion would seriously restrict my range of movement, while a two level ADR would not.

2. Recovery time: Generally speaking, the recovery time of ADR is significantly less (and better) than fusion.

3. Age: Since I am 34, the last thing I want to do is fuse two levels in my lumbar spine. I used to be a fairly active person, but I haven't been active in over a year, and would prefer to return to an active lifestyle. In my opinion, I have a much better chance of returning to a fairly active lifestyle with a two level ADR versus a two level fusion.

4. Quality of life: In my opinion, the quality of life for ADR patients in the long run is better than the quality of life for fusion patients.

David