ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:30 PM

Default Getting Frustrated / Down - Long time to be injured

Hello All

Im sure like most of you here you have a back issue. Mine is not as bad as some of the forum users have described and thank god for that. I have been fighting this injury for about 18 years some years are better than others but I believe the mental toll on me is worse than the physical.

So far the doctors say my L5S1, L4L5, and L3L4 all have damage and or tears some worse than others and some no pain generated at all. For the most part I dont have pain down my legs except on flare ups, mine is mainly mechanical in the lower back. I work construction for a living and can work all day with little pain but bend over to tie my shoes and boom its out. All i get from doctors is do more stretching and excercises, and for the most part i agree somewhat but even with the PT it still goes out. Has anyone else had more of a mechanical issue than a disc/nerve issue?

Sorry for being long winded just trying to feel options out.

Thanks

Matt
Active in Construction and outdoor activities that require a good back.

Starting to get tired of the back pain and having to make choices based upon can my back take it.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Matt, sorry for the delay in replying to you. I am not really sure what you are asking, can you restate your question another way?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-12-2017, 01:07 AM

Default Bertagnoli

Send MRI to pro spine
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKTM300 View Post
Send MRI to pro spine
Why do you force Bertagnioli all the time. I would never let that he touches me. He recommend to replace my HEALTHY L4 L5, and when i ask him why he told me that he didnt see MRI very well.
Considering ADR at that level
Old 08-13-2017, 05:49 PM

GK-are you still in email communication with Dr B? if so, has he given any update on when he will publish his study about the M6 failures he showed you? thanks
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Default Contact

Haven't communicated with him. I push Bertagnoli cause I'm confident I'm correct. As far as him wanting to replace a healthy disc I'm sorry I believe you are either wrong or mistaken. I know most everyone here thinks reading posts on internet is research but it's not!

All I know is I went to bogen and six months later I felt fixed! I felt fixed immediately but I had gained weight n was out of shape. I quit the drugs all, 3 months after surgery n been exercising working n living.
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 08-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Matt, sorry for the delay in replying to you. I am not really sure what you are asking, can you restate your question another way?
Harrison sorry for not being clear. I guess what im asking is at what point do you wave the white flag and go get surgery? I dont have nerve/leg pain constantly but all localized to my low back, may go months without a major episode then wham bend over to tie shoes and all hell breaks loose. Its getting old since this has been going on since my early 20's. All i get from Dr's is here is some pain pills, and do more physical therapy (I do stretch's and core excersises nightly)

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Starting to get tired of the back pain and having to make choices based upon can my back take it.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:18 AM

Hi Remodelme44, it seem like you have some light years on your spine. You may consider later for an ADR, which may have better prosthesis for your lower back. Maybe even a better surgical method to replace your disc. Do your homework as you still have lot of time. I was also told, i can leave it alone but 3-5 years time maybe my back will be bone on bone. So it is still up to your decision as nobody should tell you what to do as this will be the body that you will need to live in.

I went for ADR replacement because i could not lift things more than 5kg and i will be on my bed for days to weeks. I am 39yo, and i have a lovely family with 3 kids. I just cannot stand anymore for not playing with my kids or even hugging them. So it is very depressing to see another daddy that play with their kid.

This is my main reason, and i am on my way to recover. I am 1 week out from my L5S1 replacement. Well, my problem also purely mechanical rather than nerve/leg problem. Yes, it is also very localized back pain, as in hot sensation and feel like snapping into two when i bend over. I am on the facebook with ADR as i can chat with someone instantly there, join us there if you need a chat. Cheers Donmas
2015- Re injured my back and BIG mistake going to CHIRO then my condition got worse with sciatica.
2016- MRI showed tear getting bigger caused by CHIRO.
2017- DISCOGRAM and CT, found my L5S1 torn through annulus fibrosus and pain is similar. Waiting ADR LP-ESP.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:21 AM

Smile

Hi Matt,

I am sad to hear that also you are suffering from the disabling pain. I wanted to weigh in by mentioning that, upon deciding on surgery, I never had any leg pain. Not even once. All my pain was in the lower back and bending over was also not possible. In my case, I also had severe trouble sitting.

I am not sure what you mean, when you say that it is more of a "mechanical issue" rather than "disc/nerve" issue. If your MRI shows that your discs are degenerated, have tears and there is a possibility of substance leaking out of them, then the pain may be nerve pain. I don't think having leg pain is or should be a prerequisite for ADR.

In my case, L4L5 and L5S1 were black on the MRI and one could see some small bulges. However, the bulges were somewhat minor (I find way worse pictures online), so it would not be 100 % obvious by just looking at the pictures that I had severe disabling pain. The important point was comparing the color of the discs to L3L4. L3L4 was not black on the MRI. This made me realize that L4L5 and L5S1 are both flawed and they together contribute to my pain. I did not need any discogram made. All I needed was the MRIs and analysis of the symptoms to conclude that replacing the discs will fix my problems. And so it did! My pain is gone now. You can read my outcome in the surgical outcome sections.

In your case, I would feel that getting several doctors opinions and getting all necessary tests done (extensive blood testing, MRIs and X-rays) must be done to get a clear picture on what is the issue. If you are able to confidently pinpoint your issues to the degenerated discs, like I was, then it makes perfect sense to proceed to ADR surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remodelme44 View Post
So far the doctors say my L5S1, L4L5, and L3L4 all have damage and or tears some worse than others and some no pain generated at all. For the most part I dont have pain down my legs except on flare ups, mine is mainly mechanical in the lower back. I work construction for a living and can work all day with little pain but bend over to tie my shoes and boom its out. All i get from doctors is do more stretching and excercises, and for the most part i agree somewhat but even with the PT it still goes out. Has anyone else had more of a mechanical issue than a disc/nerve issue?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the responses, when i say mechanical i guess it means localized to the low back no leg pain. It almost feels as if it is bone to bone at times. I have had MRI's done and yes the discs are showing black, and the bulges that are shown are minor. I know im not worse off than some folks here so i hate even bringing it up. Odd thing is i can bend over work construction etc for days on end then wake up one morning and wish i had never got up, then it gets better after a few weeks of babying and another month or two later same outcome as before.

Anyway i need to go see several Dr's and get better opinions. Any suggestions for Dr's in the St. Louis MO area? I can also travel so if its not accross the ocean i can do it.

Thanks all.