ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:58 PM

Question Anticipating ADR C4-5; already have fusion C5-6

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to have an ADR performed at C4-5 in the near future. I've been in moderate but worsening main since I had an anterior fusion of C5-6, and then a posterior fusion of the same site because the first fusion didn't completely set.

My insurance company's initial response to the ADR was a denial, since a hybrid fusion/ADR is not recommended by the FDA (at least, that's what I understand). I'm pushing forward with an appeal, but that's one of the issues I'd like to ask here:

- Has anyone had luck appealing insurance decisions in cases similar to this?

I've reached out to Dr. Bertagnoli for another opinion, as well as another option if I decide to have the ADR performed outside the US on my own dime. If this is what I have to do, then so be it, but I'm curious if anyone has had a case very similar to mine and can share some wisdom on what kind(s) of artificial discs have worked best, and any other recommendations.

(Note that I'm sure some stories and wisdom have been posted here before that might be very useful information, but I figure I could ask these questions directly while I pore over all my search results!)

Thanks all!
Eric
Old 10-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Typically, the hybrids that you'll find discussed here take place when the surgeon places both ADR and fusion at the same time. Less often is the ADR followed by fusion, and even less often than that are situations like yours where a fusion was first. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if you found a similar case if you searched the board.

You asked about recommended device types. I'd approach that by choosing surgeons you're willing to pursue and whether the devices they use are suitable. The reason I'd prioritize the selection of the surgeon is that placement of the ADR above a fused level will stress the device, even if it's been optimized for that kind of use. Getting it placed as close to perfectly will have a huge effect on long term success or failure of the device. My suggestion is to look for surgeons who've done multiple levels, and multiple levels over multiple surgeries, and are old hands at such work. Don't consider someone who's got a lot of experience with single level work and sells an optimized ADR over someone who's done hundreds of multilevel surgeries.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 10-28-2019, 10:00 PM

Default Echo

Peach,
I echo Anna's sentiment.
Placement and experience with multiple levels is key.
Hope this helps.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany