ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 AM

Arrow Decisions, decisions! help?

Hello There,

I appreciate all the info I've gotten from reading people's experiences here on this site and a couple of others. It's quite a nerve-racking experience trying to make a decision that will ultimately effect the rest of my life.

I am currently in route to having a 3 level cervical ADR surgery c4-7, or possible one level fusion c6-7 and 2 level ADR (depending on Dr's opinion once in surgery) here in Los Angeles with Dr. Lauryssen in late January, 2012. It will be the first or second one that Dr. Lauryssen has performed (he has another on the calendar), though he has done hundreds of 1 or 2 level ADR surgeries. I really trust him as a doctor, but that last fact has been weighing on me.

My reservations are two things. Firstly, Dr. Lauryssen like most US doctors so far has no experience with 3 level ADR surgeries. Second, the newer prostheses that look very promising (M6 or Prodisc Nova C) are not available to me here.

I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback or advice from their experiences on doctors, or having the surgery... I have consulted with Dr. Bertagnoli who has recommended 3 level ADR as well, and just sent a message to Dr. Clavel's office in Barcelona.

History:
I was rear ended at a full stop by a vehicle at a high speed which forced my car into another one on September 2010. I have a myriad of symptoms including loss of ROM, weakness in upper and lower extremities, high level of constant pain, inability to perform most day to day activities, numbness, burning sensations, loss of coordination, sciatica, nausea (increased with pain), etc,

I have done PT, Chiro, Acupuncture (helpful), Osteopathy (very helpful), massage therapy of various sorts, taken various supplements (some helpful), trigger point injections, oral steroids, NSAIDs, muscle relaxers, opiates etc some of which helped with ROM and pain relief, but my condition itself has continued to deteriorate.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Jules

c5-6 right ruptured disk
moderate spinal cord compression
right ostephyte
c6-7 ruptured disk, moderate cord compression and endplate osteophyte

L3-4 central disk protrusion
L5-S1 ruptured disk

3 level m6 cervical ADR with Dr. Clavel 4/12/12
2 level lumbar ADR in near future hopefully!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:19 AM

Sorry about your accident and the difficult situation you're in. I've only needed single level ADR's, but have had two single-level ADR's placed in my c-spine. Both work very well, and I have few symptoms anymore.

I've been very impressed by Dr. Bertagnoli and his colleague Dr. Fenk-Mayer at ProSpine. The two cervical ADR's he placed for me are doing well. Dr. B has tons of experience with multi-level ADR's, and, multi-level is serious business. If I were in your shoes (which I'm not), I'd go to him or to an equally experienced surgeon for a three-level ADR.

That being said, experience is no guarantee of success. It does up the odds, though.

Going abroad for medical care can be expensive, but has the advantage of giving you access to a wider range of technologies. In addition to the newer ADR's, there are newer surgical instruments and intra-operative procedures which you may (or may not) benefit from.

Best of Luck!
Laura
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Jules,

Condolences on your condition, but welcome!

While the European doctors seem to be more experienced in multi-level ADR, many US surgeons have a lot of multi-level experience as well. I can recall only one other poster on this site that underwent ADR with Dr Lauryssen. If you want to PM him about his experience, his handle was nornie73. Dr Lauryssen seems to have a very good reputation. I know of one poster on this site, steve55 that had a three level cervical ADR with Dr Bertagnoli; they were the same levels you're needing. Here is a link to his outcome.

Welcome and good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 12-26-2011, 02:13 AM

Dr. Lauryssen appears to have a good reputation, according to posts here.
A friend had 3 level Prodisc-C by Dr. Regan (also in LA) after I had my one-level Prestige ST by the same surgeon--and we are both doing well.
I remember well the anxiety about taking the leap for surgery, so I wish you the best in your decision-making.
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 12-26-2011, 07:33 PM

Jules, even though you may be experiencing a high level of anxiety, I want to wish you happy holidays. I wanted to just chime in and say welcome to the this forum( and the others) and my condolences to suffering from that horrible auto accident. I've been in several horrible auto accidents myself.

I'm a recent ( 2 wks) one level L ADR so I can't offer any advice of your specific spine needs but I only wanted to say if you need someone to talk to just as support, I'm happy to talk. The one "need" I discovered that's vital when trying to make this decision ( and recovery) is the need for positive support-which I found on this forum. While my spine needs are different than yours, I will share I contemplated going to Europe for my surgery and decided to stay in the US, but from my conversations with Europen physicians, I would say it's worth exploring.

I also believe in the power of acupuncture and received comfort and relief during my sessions. I plan to incorporate acupunture into my healing from my recent lumbar ADR.

Willing to support

SJ
‘10 Lumbar pain retnd worse. DDD L5/S1, sm disc protru, annular tears, L4-5 mild facet,L5/S1-Injections min relief.
Dec 2011 Prodisc L/5 S/1 Dr. Blumenthal
Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Smile thank you

Thank you everyone for your support/info. I am restricted because my primary insurance is Kaiser, though since it was caused by an accident, the primary will be the auto insurance... which is still unresolved, but there will be enough funds to cover surgery. Though not an easy task, it will be easier to raise the funds to pay cash price in Europe over a far higher cash price in the US if I decide to go that route, so I don't have the luxury to go to any doctor I choose in the US. Some Drs, like Lauryssen are willing to do it on a medical lien basis. I don't believe Regan offers that, though I may be wrong. I am also unable to receive the M6 here, and I am really really leaning that way. I spoke with a rep for Drs. Clavel/Ritter-Lang based on an inquiry to Dr. Clavel, and I am definitely going to follow up with them I also have a feeling that for me personally, being way from home/life (I live alone with 3 dogs) for 2 weeks would actually help me with my recovery... if only I could manage to do that for the entire time! Anybody have any personal experiences with these Docs?
c5-6 right ruptured disk
right ostephyte

L5-S1 ruptured disk

Old 12-27-2011, 12:28 AM

Jules,

very, very few surgeons work on a medical lien... i had to reiterate to multiple dr's secretaries that i do in fact have insurance when i called to make appointments, b/c i mentioned the MVA. of course, none of it mattered b/c the best thing for me was to go to Barcelona for an M6... whether I see that money again remains to be seen. more importantly, i can go back to WORK and will make it up in no time due to the nature of my work.

Several people on here went to Dr Clavel for their surgeries - jss and herron65 are probably the most active other than myself, but herron and I are both lumbar patients. Girth19 also had a multilevel lumbar ADR recently over there.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadJules View Post
... I spoke with a rep for Drs. Clavel/Ritter-Lang ... Anybody have any personal experiences with these Docs?
Dr Clavel did my double cervical ADR in 2009. I've been able to resume my ascetic practice of running marathons. I recommend Dr Clavel highly. As you're researching overseas solutions, I would encourage you to consider two other surgeons; Dr Boeree in Hampshire, UK, and Dr Pimenta in Sao Paulo, Brazil. All are outstanding surgeons that produce steady streams of positive outcomes. Whatever you do, good luck!

Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 12-27-2011, 01:30 AM

Smile Clavel

@laid up doc I have had so many issues with doctors in general when they hear MVA, even within Kaiser. It's been quite a frustrating journey. I have been dismissed more times than I'd like to admit with comments like "some things you just can't explain." this from an ortho surgeon who had my MRI which clearly showed central stenosis!!! "it's not normal to have pain in the upper and lower body.". Pain management doctor, who was offended cuz I didn't want ESI's. I was relieved to find Dr Lauryssen after almost a year! So crazy.

@jss I am interested in other docs, but I admit I'm a huge fan of the Mediterranean so I wouldn't mind spending 2 weeks in Spain. I also really like what people say about Dr Clavel's positive energy. Just curious why you would recommend other surgeons if he did your surgery? Dr Boeree is also on My list.

Also as Clavel's patients, did you do the package including hotel?

Thank you!!!
c5-6 right ruptured disk
right ostephyte

L5-S1 ruptured disk

Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 AM

The general idea is actually to get multiple opinions from different docs. Some folks have found they work better or feel more comfortable with other docs than the ones the people recommending liked. It's especially important when you're about to pay a lot of money to go overseas to get major surgery done. You want to feel comfortable with the doc you choose when you're choosing them.

In the states, depending on where you live and the circumstances behind seeking out a surgical solution, it may not be necessary to find other opinions. Many do though. I got lucky and through some excellent personal recommendations managed to get my first surgical opinion(s) at the best facility in the area (Philadelphia). I looked at some of the websites for other ortho practices and didn't really see any names I recognized from discussion and online research of my own pre-op. Plus, I immediately felt like I was in good hands when I spoke with Dr. Balderston. I've recommended 3B Ortho to numerous people I know in my area who've had some major back issues come up.

In any case, I'd definitely second the recommendation to get opinions from those other docs just to be on the safe side. You never know, you might feel more comfortable with one of the other docs if/when a phone consult occurs.

Good luck and may you find the best possible solution/doctors for your surgery!

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!