ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM

Default new member with questions

Hi!
I am a 37 old female with DDD. I have both lumbar and cervical disc issues. I am most concerned about my cervical spine. I have bulges in my C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 levels with no nerve root compression or spinal cord compression and the normal curve of the neck has been lost. I have a constant stiff neck and pain in both my arms. The neurologist and the orthopedic surgeon I saw both said that I don't need surgery as there is no nerve or cord compression and to learn to live with the pain (there was some talk about a 3 level fusion). I have been living on painkillers (Celebrex) since.

I work on the computers and this is getting increasingly difficult even with Celebrex. The pain doctor has now referred me to a neurosurgeon in Houston, Dr. Ansell, to discuss a three level disc replacement. Is there anyone in this forum who has dealt with this surgeon? Also, with no nerve root or spinal cord compression is surgery not something I should consider?

DDD since 2008
L5-S1 microdiscectomy 2002
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 bulges since 2008
Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Pubali,

Condolences on your condition. As a survivor of three cervical surgeries on four levels myself, I truly "feel your pain". I hope that you can get a definitive answer soon.

This is the first time I've seen Dr Ansell's name, so I can't say anything about him.

My understanding is that there are a variety of tests that can be performed to diagnose specifically what is causing the pain. I underwent one of those tests once to ensure that my left side pain was from one level and that my right side was from another level. Have you not been put through any of those tests? Those tests are important so that you don't successfully have some of your anatomy removed only to find upon waking up that you have the same pain that you had when they put you out.

Do you know which artificial disc Dr Ansell prefers to use?

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Pubali,

Just for a measure of clarification, celebrex is not a pain killer, it's in the COX-2 family of anti-inflamatories. While you may derive some indirect pain relief from a potential reduction in swelling, this medication's goal is simply to reduce inflamed tissue/etc. Just didn't want you to have the wrong impression about what it is/isn't suppose to do.... :-)

Alan
4/07:LBP + radiculopathy=severe L5-S1 herniation , 7/07:Micro-D, 08-09:Reherniation, 09-17: periodic residual symptoms (conservative modalities to maintain "stability" = prolotherapy, ESI/nerve blocks/facet injections, chiro, massage, phys ther), 7/17 pain in neck/right shoulder radiating into hand (no trauma involved), 7-10/17 Conservative treatment to date include physical therapy/dry-needling/facet-injections (C4/5 to C6/7). Researching surgical options should progression continue.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM

Thanks Jeff for ur suggestions. I have not yet had a discogram..maybe the neurosurgeon will suggest that when I go to see him..
Thanks Alan, I did not know that