ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:47 PM

Default Travel Suggestions - Airport Security

Good afternoon everyone,

This post relates to travel and making it easier on everyone taking the trip, including family members. It also applies to future trips, both domestic and international. My wife and I have an easier time than most getting through security, because we always get to use the pre-TSA line when it's available. Many of you may have been randomly selected at some point to use this line, but doing what we did makes travel so much easier and predictable.

We applied for Global Entry back in 2012. We completed an online application (remember your name and password because you'll have to refer back to this and if you don't remember this info you'll have to start from scratch), which took about a half hour to complete, paid a $50.00 fee (it's now $100.00), and waited about 6 weeks. In that period, background checks were done on both of us. After six weeks passed, we both received e-mails inviting us to a Global Entry enrollment center. Most international airports in major cities have one. We made an appointment and went. It was basically a formality. We received some information on how Global Entry works, what the card looks like, how to get "pre-TSA" automatically printed on your boarding passes, and how to use this for U.S. Customs. The cards came in the mail roughly one week after this appointment.

Here is what you do to get the "pre-TSA" to show on your boarding pass. For any given airline, there is a place in the traveler profile to place trusted traveler number. Completing this will insure that you have "pre-TSA" showing on your boarding pass. For airlines with which you are a frequent flier, this information can be saved, so you don't have to do it each time you book a flight.

By having this printed on your boarding pass, you get to use the pre-TSA line at the airport. This allows you to go through an express line where you do not have to take off your shoes nor belt. Furthermore, you can leave your laptop and liquids in your carry-on. You still have to stick to the 3 ounce limit for liquids, but you don't have to take the plastic bag holding them. Also, in many airports, they will let you go through a metal detector instead of a body scanner. This saves time. It makes going through security a breeze.

In terms of customs, when you return from most countries, you bypass the customs line and walk up to a machine. It reads your irises and you check off directly on the screen the same questions that you see on a customs declaration form. After completing this, a receipt comes out. You hand it to the customs official nearby and most of the time, they will say "Welcome Home" or "Have a good day". There is virtually no grilling about the reasons for your travel.

Here is a link to Global Entry: I hope you all consider this if you haven't joined already. Benefits of Global Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 PM

One thing we did was let the airlines know I was disabled. I was basically picked up a after getting our tickets and put into a wheelchair. All connecting flights I was picked up right at the plane and taken to the next gate in a wheelchair. You get pre boarding privileges. Also I've heard that some prefer the isle seat so they can get up and stretch without much difficulty.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Thanks Gene. Will move and duplicate this topic to The Big File and the International forums.

Hey, can you elaborate on the biometric information? DNA swab too maybe?

"...Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect biometric information, e.g., scan your fingerprints...."
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-01-2015, 08:05 PM

Harrison,

They took our fingerprints and readings of our irises. There were no DNA swabs of any kind.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C