ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:59 AM

Hi everyone,
I have one last question prior to my surgery on monday and it deals with birth control pills. I got a very mixed answer from several different doctors when I went through my pre-op appointments, so I wanted to see what people here knew as well before making my own decision on the topic. I had a couple doctors say it was just easiest to stop taking them prior to surgery to mitigate clotting risks, but then a couple doctors said it was a very minimal risk and depended mostly on how laid up I would be. That was a question from them that I couldn't truthfully answer since I don't know what my own recovery will be like. I can certainly hope it's smooth enough that I can feel good enough to get up regularly and at least do a lap walking through my house, but I just don't know.

I tried to google up some information on it but my google-fu is either not so great or there isn't as much readily available information. The reason I'm on the edge about whether or not to take them is because the primary reason I went on them is due to really bad pain from cramps and heavy flow. My concern is that the cramping pain was always so bad that the only comfortable position was the fetal position as well as the fact that if the flow is heavy enough and I'm slow enough from post-op pain that it could get messy quick. I know, not the most pleasant thing to read but I wanted to make sure there was a bit of background as to why this is a concern for me personally.

I was told by a couple docs that it's a pretty small risk and that if I make sure I follow all instructions I may not run into a clotting problem. Other docs seemed to figure it was just easiest to not take them regardless of what the possible side effects could be. I've been on them for almost a decade now, so I'm pretty nervous about not taking them. You get so used to that regular schedule that it's really tough to imagine it possibly not being there.

I am somewhat lucky in the fact that my cycle matched up perfectly with my surgical schedule. Tonight would start a new pack of pills, so if anyone has any advice or links to articles I could read, that would be awesome. I tried to do a search here on the forums, but the information that came back was minimal or didn't quite match my question.

Thanks everyone.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM

Sara,

Sorry I can't help with your question, but I just want to wish you the best of luck in your surgery. I will be praying for you and look forward to reading many more "post" op posts from you.

Take care and Peace be with you,

Diagnosed with DDD in Nov, 2007. MRI, EMG
C3/4 C4/5 C5/6 C6/7
Surgery 06.04.08--C5/6 and C6/7 with Prodisc was a success.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 AM

Sara,
Of course it is impossible for us to give you medical advice. If it were me, I would stop taking them for the month. I have been on and off birth control several times and never had any problems. For me, it would just be one less thing to worry about for the surgery.

I will be thinking of you Monday
10/2008 3 surgeons confirm C6/C7 needs ADR and always has.
Has anyone had a second ADR surgery on an adjacent level?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback Dave and Jessica. I'm leaning toward not taking them and just hoping whatever pain meds they put me on can handle any excess pain I'd get from nature taking it's course, but I figured I would ask and see what others did or if anyone knew of any good medical writing on the topic. I'm curious what some of the factors are that add to the risk between the BCP and the surgery itself. For example, is it just a greater risk for people who smoke or have other medical conditions or just a general risk for anyone.

Thanks again. I look forward to joining the post-op crew and sharing my experience for others to learn from.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008

Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 AM

I don't have the answer for you for I can tell you that I use estrogen patches and was just told to not wear one on the day of surgery. And my understanding is that there is less of a risk of clotting with the patches than with the pill.

Just an added issue, the pre-surgery instructions included stopping some vitamins and herbal supplements for a week or two prior to surgery--I can try to find this info and post again later and/or you can ask your surgeon's surgery coordinator.
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 06-20-2008, 01:15 PM

Yup, I usually took Aleve to relieve some of my back pain when it got too much for me to just deal with it. I tend to avoid taking medication unless I really REALLY need to. I was told not to take it after my pre-admission appointment. Luckily, I hadn't had a really really bad pain day in about a week so I'd already stopped taking it. Unfortunately though, the last few days have been kind of painful and knowing I can't take the Aleve to dampen it bugs me, but I'm not about to take it and cause trouble. The last thing I want is to go against orders. That's why the pill thing is a gray area right now. Some doctors go with the instruction of stop them for at least one full cycle (since it's not good to just go off a week and then start up again) but others seem to say it's only a small risk and leave it up to the patient to decide.

Ah well, hopefully since I've been on them for ages, the old symptoms that had me take them in the first place will get confused and stay away.

Thanks again,
~Sara

- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008

Old 06-20-2008, 01:59 PM

Good Luck on Monday. We will be thinking of you and praying for a successful surgery and excellent recovery. Being male, I cannot answer the sensitive female questions. I can be supportive of you in the process and wish you the best. You will be fine on Monday as there is so much good karma going your way.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 06-21-2008, 04:19 AM

Thank you Terry. The warm wishes and support of everyone means a lot. I'm looking forward to finally being on the recovery side of this all.

~Sara

- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008